Shock ? for 4X4 Guys - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Shock ? for 4X4 Guys

It's time to replce the shocks on my truck. Any advice on Hydraulic Shocks vrs. Nitrogen Gas Shocks. The Sky Jacker Hydaulics I have have been pretty good about preventing the Death Wobble until one failed. Are the Nitros, better, last longer & worth the extra money? Then getting into Brand names further confuses the issue. I have a 4" lift & 38" Parnelli Jones Tires on a "86" F350 4x4. Any advice is appreciated.
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to IcallhimGeorge
death wobble is most likely a kingpin spring failure and the shocks simply mask it.

What happens is the larger diameter of the 38" tires overcome the spring rate of your kingpin and causes everything from the knuckle out to wobble. Even if you rebuild the kingpins you will more than likely experience the same thing. To combat this pull your spring caps and put 1 or 2- 7/8" grade 8 washers directly on top and bolt the cap back down. This will add more preload to the springs and things will go back to normal. It sounds crazy, I know, but trust me it works.

I ended up taking one washer out on the driver side. 2 on the driver side and 3 on the passenger side Ive ran these since early 07 with zero issues.

Gas shocks are better than hydraulic. As a hydraulic shock cycles (goes up and down) the fluid starts to foam up. The more bumps you go through in a short period of time the less effective the shock becomes. The down side to gas is they wear out quicker.

Better dampening = gas
Longer lasting = hydraulic

hope this helps.

Kris
George is the trucks name.

"Street Head Mafia"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick relpy Kris. I remember seeing an earlier post with this fix & was planing on doing it this winter when I rebuild the differentials with 5:13's. The shock issue is the immediate one as one started leaking last week & the normally well manered PJ tires started to wobble @ 35 mph. Thought I was running my old nasty Thornbirds again. I was leaning toward trying the gas shocks this time, as ride is more importants to me than longevity. My present shocks have lasted quite a while.
Ken

Last edited by SCJF350; 07-21-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM

the washer deal can be done in 30min and for $5 or less. You know the shocks are bad so thats a given. Spend a couple minutes to add some washers and try it out again before you get new shocks to see if the wobble goes away. 99 chances out of 100 the shocks are not causing the wobble.

Kris

"Street Head Mafia"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I'll give that a try this week when I head down to the shop. Might as well get something done other than just drink a couple MGD's.
Another question then. What made yo decide to take the extra washers out? How did the extras affect the ride?
Thanks Again
Ken

Last edited by SCJF350; 07-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Hey man no problem. Its nice to answer a question every now and again rather than the one always asking.

Ive got a 79 F250 and Im running crossover steering rather than the factory push pull setup. The crossover arm was about 1/8" deeper than the stock king pin spring cap. When I had 3 washers on each side it made the driver side too tight and it started to bulge the cap. If you have too many washers the steering will bind. I suggest trying to turn the wheel lock to lock while on jack stands to try this out.

I think 2 washers will do the trick. You definately wont need more than 3.

Kris

"Street Head Mafia"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Forum Contributor

Definately do the Gas shocks if you are running that big of a tire, and maybe even look into a muliple shock setup as you have greatly increased the unsprung weight of the truck. If you talk to Rancho or Skyjacker tech personell they can most likely steer you in the right direction for the proper multiple shock setup. I've always been a huge fan of Rancho stuff, it seems to me like they just make a better product than most other suspension manufacturers.

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in