footbrake question idea - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

footbrake question idea

Okay I was talking to the head tech guy at the track Friday night, we are allowed one step rev limiter so I was thinking of hooking it up to my foot brake to control the lanch.

Do you think this would make my 60 foot times and RT better or consistent (SP)

I know I won't be protecting the top RPM at all but this POS motor won't rev anyways LOL

The big reason for this is when I get put in the right lane I have a hard time getting the RPM's right.

is it worth the time?

Dan
1993 Mustang 514 all motor
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:14 PM

We did it way back when in an index class that didn't allow transbrakes. Car wouldn't leave without being wide open, deal worked like a charm. They finally banned the 2 step as well, rekon they got sick of seeing that brown pos win all the time.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69 View Post
We did it way back when in an index class that didn't allow transbrakes. Car wouldn't leave without being wide open, deal worked like a charm. They finally banned the 2 step as well, rekon they got sick of seeing that brown pos win all the time.
So how did you have the setup?
I was thinking of having it on the brake peddle and setup so I would have to press it real hard so it won't mess me up on the top end, plus a switch so I can turn it off if I want.
I was also going to make a mount on the dash so I can change the pills easy.

what else can I do hmmmm

Dan
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Don't be jealous of my awesome Paint skills

Circle = Momentary Button
Squar'ish' things = Switch

With this setup, you'll have to wire the line lock into the rear brakes.

1) Supply power to line lock
2) Depress brakes (brake pressure to front brakes) and do burnout
3) Supply power to RPM switch
4) Stage
5) Depress brake
6) Push and hold button arming the RPM switch & line lock (hold pressure on rear brakes)
7) Floor the right pedal
8) Release button on 2nd yellow

It may be too unconventional...but its an option .

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Michael,
If I'm looking at this right, I don't think you need a ground off the momentary switch. One side would be positive going to the switch and the other side would be positive going to the line lock/rev limiter. But I could be wrong.

Joe

But it's a dry heat!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFairlane View Post
Michael,
If I'm looking at this right, I don't think you need a ground off the momentary switch. One side would be positive going to the switch and the other side would be positive going to the line lock/rev limiter. But I could be wrong.
Yes, I believe you're right .

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 PM

If you are runing mufflers then whatever you do make sure that when you hit the brakes at the other end of the track the the two step does not activate. Everytime I hit the brakes the car would backfire in the pipes!!! I wasted two perfectly good flowmaster mufflers in my brothers Mustang that way.

I had to wire a switch into the two step to turn it off before hitting the brakes.

Good luck...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

line locks are only allowed on the front wheels for burnout only. plus seeing me go off a button would be a big time red flag to the starter.

I got better as the year went on and was killing the tree, I was getting .00X lights all over the place.
Also last race of the year I got it to 60 330 and 1/8 almost right on the number every time, with in .005 well a little better then that

Dan
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Forum Contributor

Theres a guy in the pro class (foot brake class) and was last years points champ that uses a spring loaded choke cable that he pulls and it opens the carb the same every time on the line. it sounds like he's on a transbrake and they checked his car many times because the sore losers are bitchen that he's cheaten but its a old school trick thats legal and works he never looks at the tach.

84 hatch scj headed 472" on 10" tires
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearcobra View Post
Theres a guy in the pro class (foot brake class) and was last years points champ that uses a spring loaded choke cable that he pulls and it opens the carb the same every time on the line. it sounds like he's on a transbrake and they checked his car many times because the sore losers are bitchen that he's cheaten but its a old school trick thats legal and works he never looks at the tach.
I was thinking of doing something like this, I checked with Tech this year and this was okay with them

Dan
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 PM

I'd like to see how that is set up.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Another easy way is to scrounge a high idle solenoid. Mount it and adjust it to whatever rpm you want to leave at and hook it up to a switch and mount it where you like. Do your burn out, stage with your foot on the brake and hit the switch.............

"Worlds Fastest 57 Merc 2dr ht Wagon"
"E" Headed Street Rollered 545 N/A
6.578 @ 106.19 mph/3850lbs
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57merc View Post
Another easy way is to scrounge a high idle solenoid. Mount it and adjust it to whatever rpm you want to leave at and hook it up to a switch and mount it where you like. Do your burn out, stage with your foot on the brake and hit the switch.............
was going to do this but it would be considered eletronics or as tech said a gray area, and he said if someone put up the money for me to be checked I would loose :-(

now if you wanted to be tricky you could have it in the dash hooked to a cable and have a pull handle in the car to make it look like it's all being done with a cable not a solenoid.
but that's just not me

Dan
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockdan View Post
was going to do this but it would be considered eletronics or as tech said a gray area, and he said if someone put up the money for me to be checked I would loose :-(

now if you wanted to be tricky you could have it in the dash hooked to a cable and have a pull handle in the car to make it look like it's all being done with a cable not a solenoid.
but that's just not me
Dan............I agree, It would suck after winning to get called on something like that. I guess I need to get the rule book out. Myself, I just pre-stage, foot on the brake,set the lineloc,use the throttle to slide the front tires into the stage light (blink it and stage and release the lineloc) then load it to 3 grand and I'm ready to rock & roll. Works for me pretty good. But here is a story for ya. I have a good friend that runs out on the west coast. He has basically a stock mid 80's car with a carb. He uses a solenoid that looks just like the factory fast idle. He does the same as myself but uses the solenoid instead of his foot to sent his "leave rpm". Works very well for him. He also leaves the tranny in "D". Same leave rpm and shift every time. The car is deadly consistant (not that fast) and he has many "Gold Cards" and track/class champ's to prove it. He as never been tech'ed out of a race. On another note, how would tech ever know if you left by releasing the linelock and floor'n it?

"Worlds Fastest 57 Merc 2dr ht Wagon"
"E" Headed Street Rollered 545 N/A
6.578 @ 106.19 mph/3850lbs
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57merc View Post
Dan............ On another note, how would tech ever know if you left by releasing the linelock and floor'n it?
Our track will watch drivers to see any type of hand movment or anything odd.

Ther was one guy in the MOD class was searched 3 times in one year they were thinking he had a delay box...

I mean I finshed 4th this year and won 2 times and got 3rd last year so I'm just looking for the little bit to get me over the top, but at the same time I want to do it right.

I have had many of people look at my car and asking some funny questions but lucky I have nothing to hide.

I was going to wire up a ajustable brake pressure switch to the rev limiter (one step) so when I got upto say 400 PSI it would turn on the switch and set the rev limiter so depending on the PSI I had the brake presser it would work like a delay switch. but I just havent done it.....tech said this would be okay LOL ( I'm not sure about this one)

The big problem with this one is I only bring the car upto 1600 RPMs off the line so it would be tuff to get the RPMs just right.

hell I don't even have a line lock in the car.... anyone have one to sell???

later guys

Dan
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in