Thunderhill with American Racing Club Last Month - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Garage
Thunderhill with American Racing Club Last Month

A good start with big block torque, but tangling with a slower class car makes the race too short - hope to be back at it in a couple weeks ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Merc9Rac.../2/r_eM3hEYrNA

Last edited by Matt Robison; 09-06-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Matt Robison is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
 
I love watching your videos. A helluva lot more entertaining than most of the youtube crap.
StephenW is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
 
WOw Matt..............quite a machine you have there and GREAT video.


Sorry to see the tangle with the miata at the end...


Is that 555 n/a? ALmost sounds like it has a centrifugal on it unless that's just the sound of teh air getting sucked into 555ci.

1969 Mustang Fastback - stock 1968 460 with carb/intake/cam/headers - 12.12 @ 112 on 17" drag radials
69fb is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fb View Post
WOw Matt..............quite a machine you have there and GREAT video.


Sorry to see the tangle with the miata at the end...


Is that 555 n/a? ALmost sounds like it has a centrifugal on it unless that's just the sound of teh air getting sucked into 555ci.
It is normally aspirated. Air comes in though the left side headlight area to a filter housing that is in front of the engine, underneath the radiator exit duct. That's why the plumbing has the look of something with a blower up front.

The audio for the windshield video comes from a camcorder microphone that is inside the driver area. The video from behind the car uses microphones that are in the trunk area. I think they pick up some gear noise; there is no bulkhead isolating the trunk area from transmission or ring and pinion noises.
Matt Robison is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Premium Member
 
Paul Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
           
Cool

Aaaaaaaaaw, man! Awesome clip with a horrifying ending! I was crushed.

Matt, when I was at the Laguna Seca I really enjoyed the sound of your engine as you came through the Cork Screw; listening to it again here and close-up with the in-car camera is pretty awesome. Also, I have never seen Thunderhill and the vantage point from the car is pretty awesome....heard about how deceiving turns 5/5A can be and that was neat to see. By the way, there are some areas of that track where you really put a lot of trust into the corner workers.

Alright that's it! The Farilane's getting coil-overs and sway bars!

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
Aaaaaaaaaw, man! Awesome clip with a horrifying ending! I was crushed.

Matt, when I was at the Laguna Seca I really enjoyed the sound of your engine as you came through the Cork Screw; listening to it again here and close-up with the in-car camera is pretty awesome. Also, I have never seen Thunderhill and the vantage point from the car is pretty awesome....heard about how deceiving turns 5/5A can be and that was neat to see. By the way, there are some areas of that track where you really put a lot of trust into the corner workers.

Alright that's it! The Farilane's getting coil-overs and sway bars!

Paul
Hey Paul, thanks for the post. I hope to be back at Laguna for this one on 9/18-20:

http://www.sfrscca.org/images/2009/S...18lagsched.pdf

(Group 3)

Corner workers must be relied upon for competitiveness and safety.

I learned from the 46 car that my line can be improved from turn 2 through 5a, especially 5a. Of course I also learned some other lessons ...

One great thing is that temps are now under control and the electrical system is working again. Ambient was >100 that day.

Good luck with the Fairlane. I used to run one in Shelby Club events - before a lot of the goodies they have now.
Matt Robison is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 PM
RJP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Matt, great video. I would love to come out and watch you race. Side note, [Small world dept]: You were racing a friend of mine, the guy in the white 66 Fairlane. Although it wasn't much of a race as you went around him like he was on a Sunday drive in the park. I'll check out your other videos asap. Thanks, Bob
RJP is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP View Post
Matt, great video. I would love to come out and watch you race. Side note, [Small world dept]: You were racing a friend of mine, the guy in the white 66 Fairlane. Although it wasn't much of a race as you went around him like he was on a Sunday drive in the park. I'll check out your other videos asap. Thanks, Bob
I met that fellow in the paddock at Infineon last November, don't recall his name, but very nicely prepared car that I am sure surprised a few of the Porsches. There was also a silver Courgar in the paddock with him that ran well. Come say hi if you are at the Laguna event I mentioned in the post to Paul.
Matt Robison is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Premium Member
 
Paul Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
           
Cool

RJP, we should make a trip out to the track together sometime. I went with DOHAGIN last time and maybe the three of us could go.

Matt, would love to do the upcoming Seca event, but on that weekend (are you ready for this?) I will likely be bidding on another 510 I just discovered at an auction house. Details to follow (I hope ).

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:19 PM
RJP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
RJP, we should make a trip out to the track together sometime. I went with DOHAGIN last time and maybe the three of us could go.

Matt, would love to do the upcoming Seca event, but on that weekend (are you ready for this?) I will likely be bidding on another 510 I just discovered at an auction house. Details to follow (I hope ).

Paul
Paul, Sounds like a plan. I'd love to go.
RJP is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Senior Member
 
cletus66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charles City, Virginia
Posts: 2,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
 
Thanks for the ride-along !!!!! I hope the damage is mostly cosmetic.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
cletus66 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
Thanks for the ride-along !!!!! I hope the damage is mostly cosmetic.
Jeff, one of these days I hope to buy you the beverage of your choice when I am in Richmond.
Matt Robison is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
cletus66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charles City, Virginia
Posts: 2,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Robison View Post
Jeff, one of these days I hope to buy you the beverage of your choice when I am in Richmond.

Sounds great to me.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
cletus66 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
mico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
 
Matt,
That was a cool video, sorry to see the damage at the end.

Mike G
64 fairlane
572 C head twin turbo coming soon
mico is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Matt,

Always like your ride along video. Sorry about the Miata getting in the way of "Black Death".

Mike
545 87LX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome