Construction and Farm guys, skidloader Q's.... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Construction and Farm guys, skidloader Q's....

I am looking for poeple that have had exp. with a Case 1530 uniloader. Reason I ask is I am needing to build a logoon in a few weeks and am needing to rent a Bobcat to build. It will cost me around $450 to rent a bobcat for 2 days. Well, I found a used Case 1530 local for $1500. It is a dealer trade in and in operating condition. Problem is a cant find much information on these. Are these decent machines? I know its old, But if it will do what I need plus a little more( I have lots of work I need it for) and resell it for what I have in it Ill be money ahead(providing they arent money pits and are capable machines). About all I can find on it is its gas powered(30hp wisconsin) and is not hydro drive.
Would I be better off just renting one and be done with it?
Thanks, Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've used one, about 10 years ago. It worked fine for what we were doing. Check the obvious things- tires, hydraulic cylinders, etc...and the pivot pins on the bucket arms. I would expect for that price that it likely is an oil burner.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 PM

I think you should buy the skidsteer if it is running good and all the hyd. are working and not leaking. Make sure it steers good.But you should also rent a bigger skidsteer because you would murder that little guy trying to do what you want.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Rent the Bobcat!!! That Uniloader is a fossil that is about forty years old. A friend of mine had a old Bobcat that had a 30 HP Wisconsin motor in it. What a gutless turd that thing was and the Wisconsin motor finally grenaded. Even the small Bobcats have fifty HP diesels in them now. Case bought Uniloader about forty years ago, parts will be very hard to find for it. The hydraulics will be very slow being under powered and a inefficient pump. I've used Bobcat, Case and JD skid steers. You can probably buy a newer JD skid steer cheaper then the other two. But even an older JD 575 or 675 in good shape will still run you $3500 to $5500. Parts for construction equipment is big money. I've got a Case 580 backhoe sitting right now that needs a new convertor. $2200 for a converter and that's me splitting it and installing it. If you buy one find out how it was used if you can. The older machines usually have had many owners. Folks that run these things for a daily job pedal them after they are three to five years old. Don't buy one that has been ever been used with a hammer attachment. Check all the pins and bushings for wear, look over the loader arms for cracks and welds. And don't believe the hour meter, most broke after they were five years old. All in all RENT ONE first to see how you like a skid steer. The new ones are really fast but a skid steer will destroy a lawn in minutes flat. Keep the bucket low to the ground when traveling with a load. That way if it's nose heavy the bucket will save you from nosing it over. Also wear the seat belt and ear plugs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM

Dont know about the Case. How long will you need the Skidsteer? May be money ahead to hire the job out.

Mike G
64 fairlane
572 C head twin turbo coming soon
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 PM

I had to rent a New Holland skid steer a couple of years ago. What a great machine. That thing did a ton of work quickly.

Renting a newer one may get the job done much quicker than an old one. And if something big breaks, you just phone the rental place and they fix it!!

The older machines may be very hard to get parts for. It might be hard to get rid of for that reason too. Maybe you can put a 460 in it to speed up the hydraulic pump!!

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

With the rentals I will have around $900 in this lagoon, including permits and pipe. If I could buy a machine and sell it after I am done for what I have in it I can knock $450 off the grand total. this is soley a money saving plan.
I will probably skip buying and rent though. The chance of getting a machine that is a money pit or uncapable of doing what I need is too great. That cuts into my emegency money and I could find better uses for it.

But boy a skid steer in the property for a couple months sure would be handy!!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandlori View Post
I had to rent a New Holland skid steer a couple of years ago. What a great machine. That thing did a ton of work quickly.

Renting a newer one may get the job done much quicker than an old one. And if something big breaks, you just phone the rental place and they fix it!!

The older machines may be very hard to get parts for. It might be hard to get rid of for that reason too. Maybe you can put a 460 in it to speed up the hydraulic pump!!

Bill
Around here they clearly state the customer is responsible for damage/breakage. Not sure if they would make you pay for an engine, pump, or something else pricey but I bet they would try. I almost had to buy a tire on the last one I rented. luckily it still held air and was structrually sound.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltfeed View Post
Rent the Bobcat!!! That Uniloader is a fossil that is about forty years old. A friend of mine had a old Bobcat that had a 30 HP Wisconsin motor in it. What a gutless turd that thing was and the Wisconsin motor finally grenaded. Even the small Bobcats have fifty HP diesels in them now. Case bought Uniloader about forty years ago, parts will be very hard to find for it. The hydraulics will be very slow being under powered and a inefficient pump. I've used Bobcat, Case and JD skid steers. You can probably buy a newer JD skid steer cheaper then the other two. But even an older JD 575 or 675 in good shape will still run you $3500 to $5500. Parts for construction equipment is big money. I've got a Case 580 backhoe sitting right now that needs a new convertor. $2200 for a converter and that's me splitting it and installing it. If you buy one find out how it was used if you can. The older machines usually have had many owners. Folks that run these things for a daily job pedal them after they are three to five years old. Don't buy one that has been ever been used with a hammer attachment. Check all the pins and bushings for wear, look over the loader arms for cracks and welds. And don't believe the hour meter, most broke after they were five years old. All in all RENT ONE first to see how you like a skid steer. The new ones are really fast but a skid steer will destroy a lawn in minutes flat. Keep the bucket low to the ground when traveling with a load. That way if it's nose heavy the bucket will save you from nosing it over. Also wear the seat belt and ear plugs.

Sounds like you've been around the block with these things. I agree on the "RENT ONE" part completely.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Forum Contributor

How big of a lagoon are you looking to build? That 1530 is one old machine, but that doesn't mean it's wore out. Fire it up and give it a try, you might be surprised how well it runs. I used one way back in the 80's to clean grain out of a flat storage building and it wasn't too bad. I'd ask the person who owns it if you could try it out. Give it a flog for a couple hours and see, it might just be alright.

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Forum Contributor

I say test it out what the heck its only 1500 bucks if you have to rent the other one for a few more days than you thought you'll be kickin yourself.

84 hatch scj headed 472" on 10" tires
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, I went to take a look at it!!! It was just what he said, a very old machine. However, it would not start when I was there. He mentioned on the phone that the throttle cable broke when he was driving it around the lot. Cranked over fine, you just couldnt give it any throttle to start it. All in all it didnt look like a bad machine. Hour meter read 2500 something hours. Kinda high for an air cooled engine, but figured as well it wasnt reading what was actual. The hydraulic cylinders were seeping a little bit, nothing major. Tires were very old and dry rotted, but held air( they were the old Big bias plys, not modern skids). Had a few other minor things wrong with it and he said it will run when it goes out the door. He was willing to take as little as $1000 with only the throttle cable being installed. It was tempting, but I passed on it. I think something would have broke had I got it and hammered on it for a weekend.
A Co-worker is actually looking for one as well and will probably buy it. He just needs one to work on his driveway every so often and it would be perfect.
Good news is They said they would rent me a T180 track loader for the weekend for $280. Other place was $430. I guess these guys count the weekend as a one day rental and the other place says 2.
I also asked about liability for damages and they have a damage waiver that is $40.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
Sounds like you've been around the block with these things. I agree on the "RENT ONE" part completely.
Ya Cletus, a friend of mine has a excavating company. I've helped him out with shovels, backhoes and bulldozers. A lot of folks have no idea what the parts cost for construction equipment. You really need to have more then one shovel when you have shovels, because you use one to work on the other. Heck that's how the engines get lifted out with a sling off another bucket. Once he started trading his shovels in every three years he made better money then running stuff until it was beat. Even though you have giant payment books. I'm glad to see that Bigblocknotch decided to rent. Old equipment can really be an *** ache to keep going. I figured Ellen would get into this thread. I think you mentioned her family was into excavating work. Pete

Last edited by beltfeed; 09-12-2009 at 11:42 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Wink skid

it's not so much of a delima if you look at the pros and cons. i can see your train of thought. sounds like my dad's (god rest his soul). but, being in the rental business, i would strongly suggest either renting one or hiring it done. if you rent one and it breaks, they will repair it unless your the one that screwed it up. plus right now with the economy the way it is you can dicker on the price and get a good deal. the other alternative is hiring it done. alot of guys need the work right now so you can do alright on the price if you do some checking around. around here you can get a dozer guy for $100-$150 an hour. i know that sounds expensive but, a good operator can do more in a few hours than you could do all weekend. plus it's his equipment, if it breaks, it's his problem. jmho

steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in