Anybody know........ - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anybody know........

someone paralyzed or in a wheelchair that works in a shop?

I am paralyzed as some of you may know and am planning on going to UTI.I was planning on going to UTI before my accident but the school did not have night classes at that time.I would like to go to this school but am not sure when I finish if I would get a job because of my situation.It's more of the situation that most likely a shop would not accommodate someone in a wheelchair or would want to make the accommodations do to money.
I don't know what field I would be getting into at this momment but would like to get into engine building,computer tunning or maybe even body work.It all depends on what I do learn at the school if I do go.

I am not sure if I should go and see if I can't get a job after the school or just change the type of school to go to.

Thaught I would ask here instead a disability forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 PM

Hey I have to hand it to ya for sticking with your dreams!! Way to go!!

I would think that a shop could easily set up a spot for you, engine building would be a great spot, brakes and suspension might be another. Working on engines in the car might be tricky....

Sounds like your a pretty determined dude, I'm sure you'll do great.

I worked for a guy that got paralized from the chest down in an ultalight accident. He kept tinkering quite a bit, fab'ed up all sorts of stuff.

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake

Last edited by billandlori; 10-03-2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: spelllling!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:05 AM

It seems that a lot more places are welcoming employees with physical and even mental disabilities these days. I'm sure there would be someone willing to give you a chance at something

i do say this from the other side. It may not seem that way when your in the position..

Despite what you've heard, opportunity does not knock

Last edited by Diggindeeper; 10-03-2009 at 08:56 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

I had looked at this as more of challenge to me and wondered if I could do it.I have no doubts that I could do things with the usual struggles but after talking to someone also in a wheelchair I started to think if a shop would make those changes to help me with this challenge.

I did have a friend that was in a wheelchair that once owned a body shop but he passed away soon after my accident and never had a chance to ask him anything how he did things.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One of the best-known vehicle upholsterers of the '70s & '80s was in a wheelchair...did work that was frequently featured in magazines like Hot Rod. There was also Chet Herbert, of course...so it can be done. Body work might be a bit more of a struggle, as most shops seem to be tight on space, but maybe that's just my experience.

If your skill, knowledge, & work ethic are better than most applicants, my guess is that shops will be willing to make the needed accommodations.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.B.R View Post
someone paralyzed or in a wheelchair that works in a shop?

I am paralyzed as some of you may know and am planning on going to UTI.I was planning on going to UTI before my accident but the school did not have night classes at that time.I would like to go to this school but am not sure when I finish if I would get a job because of my situation.It's more of the situation that most likely a shop would not accommodate someone in a wheelchair or would want to make the accommodations do to money.
I don't know what field I would be getting into at this momment but would like to get into engine building,computer tunning or maybe even body work.It all depends on what I do learn at the school if I do go.

I am not sure if I should go and see if I can't get a job after the school or just change the type of school to go to.

Thaught I would ask here instead a disability forum.
Good for you, I'm sure you will be amazed at the employers/people who will not only respect you for your efforts but go out of there way to meet your needs.

I also have had a disability sence I was in my late teens (not to your extent) been in the electrical field most my life.

Hats off to you and good luck

" A - Head Groupie"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I sure hope so guys.I also have to go through the department of rehab fo help and hope they don't give me hard time about it being the type of school it is and my situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in