pro-comp WATER PUMPS - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

pro-comp WATER PUMPS

are these ok for the money? I already know all the stories about the cyl heads, (richter69, no need to reply)its just that they are almost 200 bucks less money than some of the others....hell I have tv's that are made in china and japan and they work fine (electrical items)they come with the backer and 1 hose adapter, so do any of you guys use one (if your not afraid to admit it) pros?.....cons? thanks...Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 AM

I put one on friends SBF, it cracked at the base as soon as i tighten it. CallED jegs & they said it happens all the time,so I sent it back for a CSR.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 AM

There is a reason they are 200 bucks less.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 AM

No not really

We had the place we brought ours from send us 3 different pumps because everyone of them leaked on us without even turning the pumps on, the pump motors would just pour like a sieve, not the backing plate of any of the hoses but the motor themselves. We finally ordered a Mezeire and never have has any problems and just bought another one for our truck. Just to show how cheap they are, we tried to send back the final 2 motors alone that the company sent to us and they told us not to worry because it would cost as much to fix them as it would to just get new ones from the manufacturer so they told us to keep them and use as spares! We have a cheap friend that went and put a tube of calking around the whole thing and runs one on his car now

Doug

1993 Mustang LX 466 CI with Kaase CJ heads. Just hoping to make a full pass. Best time 6.32 110 mph.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Good Luck with a ProComp pump ... you'll need it.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Boy I sure miss ol Coug............
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
You get what you pay for!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

as has been said many times... if it moves and its procomp dont buy it, lol

just another dual quad 545 :-)
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Water in front of your tires, is not a good thing when your going down the track. Not trying to bash Pro Comp, but it's like going to harbor frieght to buy your tools. You can't expect much from them.

Last edited by Chuck; 10-11-2009 at 01:54 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 PM

water pump

i bought one and never used it. i sold it to a guy and the motor went up in smoke the first time he plugged it up. i had a set of the heads and they were'nt bad, just needed some smothing up of the bowls. but they are what they are. a cheap upgrade over stockers. i got mine mostly for the weight savings.

steve
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 05:30 PM

I wouldn't run ProComp. Low quality parts, gotta be saving money somewhere. Aside from the reported poor quality, I generally avoid buying Chinee junk when there is an American alternative. Especially with our economy in the crapper every bit helps. Also think of it this way, how much money will you save after you've had to replace the ProComp pump and waste your time if under warranty and possibly eventually buy a good quality pump to replace the slanty eyed engineering? My time and aggrivation alone is worth the difference in price, not to mention the money spent doing it right the second time around.

Beyond that, I've run a Japanese mechanical pump on a small block before. Bearings went and it started leaking in under a year of daily driving. I will confess I have one ProComp part on my truck (before I kne any better). It's a drop pitman arm. Seems comprable to reputable brands as far as size and weight, but then again it doesn't really move. If I ever get back into off roading seriously I may replace it just to be safe, last thing I need is a pitman arm breaking on the highway.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 PM

i ran a pro comp mechanical water pump on my 460 in my 87 stang. I used the stock ford backing plate and it worked fine for 2 seasons then i sold the car. never had a problem with it. I now have one on a small chevy and it works great too. I'm canadian so i can buy from any country i feel like because nobody makes one here!
Brian

What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?
http://therocketshop.blogspot.com/
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a procomp pump on my daily driver, 4 years and 50,000 miles & doesn't leak a drop. I have 2 of the 460 pumps on 2 trucks one 2,000 miles the other 4,000 miles. I like their pumps. I have sold over 200 Procomp pumps & not a single complaint.
Van
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

well, it looks like even a water pump is not all that great from Pro-Comp...I was hoping that it would be ok just being an electric motor and some tubing...oh well looks like I'm going to buy that Moroso electric pump that goes directly where the BBF stock one goes....it looks like a very nice piece.....thanks for the input....Mike

NOTE...dont want to be mean, but dont want to go by what Vandy says at this time because it appears that he is most likely a E-Bay shop-dist...seeing that he has sold over 200 pumps without 1 failure....almost to good to be true
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:25 PM

I've ran one on my Tbird all year. It leaked after about 3 months . The bolts were too long holding the motor in place. Put a thicker gasket on it ,and it is working good with no issues.I'd buy another one. I'm a satisfied customer

Dan Hobbs 2004 Super Pro Champion Windy Hollow 2002 NHRA National Dragster Challenge Super Pro Champion Beech Bend Raceway Best ET 5.290 @ 132.95 1.14 60 Ft. 575 injected alcohol 2008 & 2009 BBF Bash PRO Champion(The Guy With 2 BIG Checks)2010FunFord Super Pro Winner @Norwalk,Oh. 2011 NHRA National HotRod Reunion Gas Eliminator Champion..2012 Ford Thunder Q-16 Heads Up Champion

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in