460 in a 66-67 Fairlane without shock tower mods? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
AKB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

460 in a 66-67 Fairlane without shock tower mods?

So I saw a video on YouTube the other day, and in the comments section the owner said that he fit the engine without any sheetmetal modification. If his car had originally came with a 390, I would have assumed that it was possible (since I think the shock towers were different in those cars,) but he said it came with a 289. Does that sound right to you guys? It was hard to tell from the video, but I think he was being honest (and it looked tight as hell.. no chance of plug replacement with the engine in the car .) What do you guys think? I know I've asked a similar question before, but I couldn't remember if you guys said it was possible to do this. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
RJP

The shock towers are the same for big block and small block. Although I haven't done the 385 swap I understand it does not require shock tower mods, and spark plug access is about the same as if it had the FE in it. Yes it is tight but not impossible and a little easier if you know about the rubber hose trick, speaking from experence I have 2 FE powered Fairlanes.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 AM

Does not require shock tower modifications...... although I would recommend it.
Dave

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In the words of Al Pacino "You don't need no stinkin SHOCK TOWERS".Take em out,I promise you"ll never have any bloody nuckles changing plugs again.My Prostreet car has no shock towers,and rack & pinion steering.Really makes it nice. Michael
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

I've seen one with a 460 installed and no shock tower mods. Where it tends to get really close is in the front of the engine. Using an old 429 water pump which is shorter is a big help.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO FAIR View Post
Does not require shock tower modifications...... although I would recommend it.
Dave
Agree, my shock towers are notched, spark plug changes are a snap, as are header install. My primary tubes are individual tubes and easy to install. It may also help with cooling to allow a bit more air around the engine.

67 mustang street car, 1977 460, 212 degree cam, 2500 converter, 3.50 gears, RHP Edelbrock heads
best ET 12.01, mph 112.98, 60ft 1.69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HztIgJymNw

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/laveennick/
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
AKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSTREET66 View Post
In the words of Al Pacino "You don't need no stinkin SHOCK TOWERS".Take em out,I promise you"ll never have any bloody nuckles changing plugs again.My Prostreet car has no shock towers,and rack & pinion steering.Really makes it nice. Michael
I'd like to do the Heidts swap, but something tells me I wouldn't have any money left for the 460 after I save up the dough for that setup ($2500.)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
AKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP View Post
The shock towers are the same for big block and small block. Although I haven't done the 385 swap I understand it does not require shock tower mods, and spark plug access is about the same as if it had the FE in it. Yes it is tight but not impossible and a little easier if you know about the rubber hose trick, speaking from experence I have 2 FE powered Fairlanes.
Care to share that trick? Or is it a closely guarded secret..
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I used a flex head 3/8 ratchet on my 67 mustang with 390, the plugs weren't fun but not that bad. With notched towers and a 460, they're a piece of cake.

The rubber hose trick is to put a gas line sized hose on the end of the sparkplug to help you screw the spark plug into the head.

67 mustang street car, 1977 460, 212 degree cam, 2500 converter, 3.50 gears, RHP Edelbrock heads
best ET 12.01, mph 112.98, 60ft 1.69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HztIgJymNw

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/laveennick/
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
AKB

Ah.. I already knew that one.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM
RJP

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKB View Post
Care to share that trick? Or is it a closely guarded secret..
Yeah, it's a closely guarded secret, so secret only FE powered Fairlane, Mustang, Cougar and a few select Falcon owners know about it along with the super secret handshake....but I'll share it with ya..... Use a piece of 3/8" fuel line about a foot long with the sparkplug stuck into the hose end and use it to thread the plug into the sparkplug hole, turn until it stops, pull hose off and tighten with a socket. Now you are a member of a very elite and special group of Ford freaks...Welcome to the club.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 PM

460 in a 66,67 fairlane

If you use a crites type header you don't have to do any cutting, but your limited to that
small tube size and limited to a certain performance level.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
AKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo View Post
If you use a crites type header you don't have to do any cutting, but your limited to that
small tube size and limited to a certain performance level.
Well I wouldn't be doing anything extreme if I did do the swap, since that by itself would probably use up all of my "spare" cash. It would probably just be some minor bolt ons thrown onto a rebuilt engine.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 PM

OK here is my 2cents. I had a 69 SCJ in 1970 & the first time I changed the plugs, it took all day because of the smog tubing that ran between the shock tower & the valve cover. I didn't have the SnapOn ball spark plug socket (until I talked to Hubert Platt of the ford drag team), so I had to pull the valve covers to get the plumbing out of the way,etc. etc. & I have had the pleasure to have a 460 in that same car & I can tell you it's easier to change plugs in the FE than in the 385, that is without shock tower mods. As a mater of fact there is one plug that had to have a shortened plug socket w/ 3/4" hex head & combination wrench to do it. I will work the shock towers this time (hopefully within the next few months.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a 429 scj in my 66 fairlane with a top loader 4 speed from a torino cobra and used everthing only had to shorten the z bar shaft 3/4 inch and had mad dog racing who made headers for John vermeirs when he was putting them in fairlanes way back! he still had the jig for 1" 7/8 headers ,long tube! I agree with out your shock towers notched it would be a pain,large assortment of snapon tools makes it alot easier for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in