Customer service, where have you gone? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Customer service, where have you gone?

After a 5 month wait at machine shop 1, I take all my stuff to machine shop 2. It's been about a month, so I ask for a progress report. None. And the machinist is presently on vacation.

Transmission shop quotes me a 2 week timeline. I wait 3 weeks and stop by. They tell me it'll be done today at noon. Today at noon, the shop is closed.

Is it like this everywhere? Do I live in a vortex of incompetance and laziness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM

i dropped my heads off at the machine shop and they were done the next day. i dropped a crank off in the morning to have it ground and it was done that afternoon and the machinest is always busy. he just really takes care of his customers. never had any complaints with his work either.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

if you need a Car stereo or vehicle security or gps or bluetooth or ipod intergration i will lay out the red carpet for you Customer service is my name

ps BF Evans Ford , Charlie Evans Racing Engines, Jet Boat Bob Machine all proved to have phenominal customer service and great support after the sale too !!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM

Dont have your car painted, they told me they do in thier spare time and it might take 9 months to a year.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
After a 5 month wait at machine shop 1, I take all my stuff to machine shop 2. It's been about a month, so I ask for a progress report. None. And the machinist is presently on vacation.

Transmission shop quotes me a 2 week timeline. I wait 3 weeks and stop by. They tell me it'll be done today at noon. Today at noon, the shop is closed.

Is it like this everywhere? Do I live in a vortex of incompetance and laziness?
It is hard to find a machine shop that does it all these days. I found it was faster, more reliable and less expensive to have Carl do my shortblock than to have the machine work done locally, or 2 hours away in Phoenix, and then assemble it myself... not to mention the bonus of hanging out with Carl and Bob for a couple days. I have a feeling I got a pretty good rush job from Carl looking at the timeline he was actually presented with, even though he didn't whine at all about it. I think a guy would be safe to find a vendor from this site that is local or closest to him, and have very similar results as I did.

Tom

Soon to be powered by...
www.carsbycarl.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Don't get me started on customer service...!!!

1) I just came from the tire shop to get a flat tire repaired. In the back ground, I hear the impact gun chattering for five seconds per lugnut. I get up and look for a torque wrench or torque stick...they aren't using them. So, I asked the counter guy if they could torque my tire with a torque wrench. I explained that the other shop in town (yes, I only have two options) tightened my lugnuts so tight I had to jump on the breaker bar to get them loose. Apparently, I asked for his second born child. He grabbed the torque wrench from under the counter (apparently, they don't have a torque wrench in the shop area), set it to the 110 ft*lbs I requested, and took it out there.

2) Last weekend (Saturday), the furnace fan was having problems in the house. I called and left messages (nobody answered their phones) for every single HVAC guy in the phone book (about ten). Monday, I get two returned phone calls. I explain the problem to the first guy and schedule him for the next day (Tuesday). No call, no show, and no returned phone call. OK...

The next morning (Wednesday), I call the second guy who returned my phone call on Monday, explained the problem, and scheduled him for Thursday. No call, no show, no returned phone call. OK #2...

This morning (Friday), call an HVAC company from another town. After they informed me they don't travel to my town, I explained my previous problems and requested that we work out a trade ---> You come to my house and fix my furnace...and I PAY YOU!!! Apparently, they had heard of similar trades and thought it might work out well for them. They showed up when they said they would, fixed the heater, and I happily handed over $150 as my part of the bargain. When my 27 year old furnace finally lets the magic smoke escape, I'll be calling them for a new HVAC system.

I guess I should have offered this same trade to the other guys...maybe I would have gotten better results.

Good grief!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, the transmission shop has redeemed itself. I stopped by today and the mech comes hobbling out of the garage. Seems he broke his toe a couple days earlier, and needs a little time to catch up. Since I haven't been a complete a-hole about the situation, he offered me $100 back for the inconvenience.

The HVAC story reminds me of one time at the Gentleman's club. I politely requested Some Van Halen, to which the "performer" replied, "Are you going to dance to it?" Naw, but I was going to tip to it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Where are you located at?

In my experiences you pay for what you get. If the price seems a little higher than the next guy it's probable because the guy will actually do the job when he says he will.

I had a similar experience with this week with a roofer. I paid what I thought to be a little more, but it was worth it once his crew showed up on schedule and knocked it out in a few hours and also backed it up with a 1 year warranty in writing...

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM

Well Guy's, IMO, If a Machine shop tell's me it will be a couple of weeks.I'm thinking,thats great. Because that means he's busy,and if he's busy ,that means he's probably doing good work. So,if you take your stuff to him and he says,I will have the crank and block for you tomorrow,you better be on your knees w/your hands together.

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

I agree, busy shop is usually a good sign. But don't tell me it'll be done this week, for five straight months. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in