No Brakes........HELP!!!!!! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No Brakes........HELP!!!!!!

I guess I'm old school about brakes. Something really scary happened today and was hoping somebody could answer how the brake pedal on my wifes 2003 eacape would go to the floor................no f#^k'n brakes!!!!!! Luckly she just got in the thing and put her foot on the pedal before putting it in gear and backing up to leave when the LF hose blew................right to the floor. Now maybe I'm stupid to how things are done these days and I have owned many and still own a car with a suicide master but I would think everything newer than 1965 had seperate front and rear fluid reservoirs to prevent things like my wife getting killed. Thank god her and the kid were'nt flying down the freeway when it happened.

"Worlds Fastest 57 Merc 2dr ht Wagon"
"E" Headed Street Rollered 545 N/A
6.578 @ 106.19 mph/3850lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:46 AM

Glad she's ok Merc. I'm not that familiar w/that part of the system. BUT,I think Ford needs to be notified before something bad really does happen.

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 AM

You are right, any dual master will have the secondary system you are thinking of. The spring pressure in the proportioning valve should have stopped most of the fluid transfer to the front and give more to the rear. This may not have happened on the first pump after the flex hose blew but it should have on the next activation. These valves are common to stick because they rarely go through their range of motion.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. I guess I need to check the proportioning valve because it must be stuck. Still.................seems that a better design would be in order. I noticed last night that the master doesn't have seperate front/rear rez's. Even on all the old crap I've had with leaky wheel cylinders and such with the old school cast iron masters I have never had "no brakes" even if one chamber went dry????????

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Bad brakes

Have a Ford dealer check the whole ABS system, there may be a problem there, that incident should not have happened even with a blown hose, sounds like more than a mc problem. Thank goodness it was in the driveway!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
I'd be more worried about why the hose failed

Ace
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeace View Post
I'd be more worried about why the hose failed

Ace
Because it was Sunday and after finding out the brake hose was a dealer item I went to the parts store and after looking through about a hundred hose boxes I found one that would work better than the factory one. The problem as I see it is Ford did a real bad job in their design. Its to late for a pic so I'll try my best to explain how the Mazda/Ford set-up failed. On the end that hooks to the steel line its the standard deal that slides through the bracket and is clipped in place. Then the hose loops a 180* midway to another steel fitting on the hose that is made to slide through one more retaining bracket on the strut, held in place with the typical clip and then down and out to the caliper. The problem is on the 180* turn, it causes the hose going into the mid-way fitting to become stressed. Thats where the hose came apart at the joint of the mid-way fitting right where the rubber and steel meet. Luckly the hose I found doesn't have the mid fitting and was the exact same length. I just bent the mid bracket on the strut out of the way and turned the wheels right and left with the brakes applied and not and it clears everything perfect. Back on the road......brake lights off and its fine now. Also thanks to one of the previous posts, when I went to pull into the shop to work on it and the pedal was way low but it did have back brakes so the proportional valve must of unstuck after stomping the pedal a couple times. Oh yeh..........sad thing is, now I'm concerned about the right front and the hose I found that worked was mis-packaged so I don't even really know the application. Thanks again guys for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in