Need Help and Ideas!!! Neighborhood Issues - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need Help and Ideas!!! Neighborhood Issues

Looking for some input/ideas here. We live in a development where for some reason people feel the need to go 40-45mph down the road. Now our development isn’t huge maybe 60 houses total, and there is one entrance/exit. There is the main entrance which comes to an end at a cul-de-sac (maybe ½ mile long), with 2 other side roads along the way that also end in cul-de-sacs. So in that short stretch of road people come down it like a bat out of hell. (and we live about ½ way down on the main stretch)

Now, we are an active family and are always outside doing stuff, and on multiple occasions have almost been hit either walking the dog or pulling our son around in a wagon (9 times out of 10 due to people flying around the corner to turn on the side roads). We have spoken to our home owners and they said there is nothing they can do b/c the state owns the roads, and we can’t put anything down or else the state can rip it up (ie speed bumps). They did say they can contact the sheriff’s office and have them patrol the area more often, but we all know what that means, they will pull in maybe once a week for the first month or so then never come back.

It has gotten to the point to where I am tempted to get pops up like at shooting ranges that emulate little kids and have them shoot up when the car gets close to scare the crap out of the driver and make them realize they are going too fast. The real kicker here is I would say more than ½ the houses have kids and of those houses 80% of them all the kids are under 5yrs old. So they should be very cognizant of their speed since kids could be out playing in the yard and or street. Talking to them, giving them dirty looks as they drive by, and even not moving in the street has not worked (couple cars actually just moved over and drove across people lawns to go around). So next step would be physical damage which I am all for to prove a point, but my wife doesn’t agree. So looking for ideas…..PC or not PC I don’t care at this point. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Why not just partician the state or whoever to put in speed bumps at the cost of the homeowners in that sub-division.... Or ask for a little increased officer presence.

Cale Aronson - Administrator
Black Magic Clutchs - Aronson Motorsports
Shelby Performance Mountain Motor Pro Stock Mustang
Shop - 660-646-4553 - Cell - 816-390-0852 - Email - [email protected]
WWW.BLACKMAGICCLUTCHES.COM - WWW.GOFASTQUICK.COM

Jon Kaase Racing Engines - Ford Racing Parts - RAM Clutches - Browell - Trick Titanium - Bohr Racing - PEM Gears - Orme Brothers - Penske Racing Shocks - Innovators West - DJ Safety
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Aronson View Post
Why not just partician the state or whoever to put in speed bumps at the cost of the homeowners in that sub-division.... Or ask for a little increased officer presence.
we tried that road, and the office "presence" was very short lived and hasn't been back. The state won't pay for speedbumps b/c there isn't enough "traffic flow" to warrant them. ITs all BS, i think we need to make our own and let the state come take them up if they decide its a priority.....maybe make them out of cheap enough material to do it over and over so they just leave them in.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM

I would find out who are the main offenders then go talk to them in the most friendly polite manner and tell them about all the children and if they could please slow down and be more carefull. Anger and rude vengefullness never works.
Brian

What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?
http://therocketshop.blogspot.com/
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Talking Speed trouble

I say go out at 2am and make pot holes with a pick at the point they would have to slow down. Rember i said holes which means several. And if state patch them then redo them, the fresh ashpalt will come up easy. then when they patch go out at 2am again and add more to patch to turn it into bigger bump
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfrog View Post
I say go out at 2am and make pot holes with a pick at the point they would have to slow down. Rember i said holes which means several. And if state patch them then redo them, the fresh ashpalt will come up easy. then when they patch go out at 2am again and add more to patch to turn it into bigger bump
i like how you think. I was thinking a few random nails just so happend to fall to the ground around thier driveway.....Even thought about when walking the dog and how you "have to clean up after them" and maybe the bag will rip open in the driveway frequently
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Used cop cars are cheap!! For a couple of hundred you could get a cop car and park it in various driveways. A black and white always makes folks jam on the brakes.

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM

i live on a road where a few drive 40-50 mph. i stopped them and asked them nice to slow down because kids in the road. most of them was nice and slowed down. i had 1 guy tell me to f off. he told me to call the cops. that same guy was fling down the road in and about hit my brothers kid on the a bike. we called the cops and 1 came out and when we was talking to the cop u could hear a car fling up from the back the cop ran out to the road and stopped the guy. that guy had a open beer and drugs in his car. they took him and his car off.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM

get everybody to go in and buy and old crown vic and paint it up or buy a old cop car, park it in a clearing among the weeds..............They do it in the small towms around here and you would be surprised how effective it is.

Move it around from time to time.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69 View Post
get everybody to go in and buy and old crown vic and paint it up or buy a old cop car, park it in a clearing among the weeds..............They do it in the small towms around here and you would be surprised how effective it is.

Move it around from time to time.
hahah they do that sh!t on I-95 in MD, even have a dummy sitting in the drivers seat. I believe its around the Perryville area of 95
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricer View Post
even have a dummy sitting in the drivers seat.
Now that's no way to talk about an officer!!

My son has a white CV and says people are hammering the brakes quite often coming up on him!!

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Its easy to spot the "used to be" cop cars here. they're rusted out
good old northern ontario road salt program.

Despite what you've heard, opportunity does not knock
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricer View Post
hahah they do that sh!t on I-95 in MD, even have a dummy sitting in the drivers seat. I believe its around the Perryville area of 95
in westport, washington the westport police have a spare patrol car that they park in various places throughout town with a dummy in a uniform in the drivers seat. they even rig up a radar gun in the window some times.

Strong Arm Customs
custom welding and machine

big block ford addicts anonymous member since 2001

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...barry/01-1.jpg
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM

Kinda like them rubber deer the game wardens put out...............
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Put down speed bumps...if the state tears them up, then the road will still be bumpy!!

Or else, place some large trash cans filled with dirt at specific locations to slow them down.

Or...videotape the ones who are speeding. Get their license plates and turn them in.

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in