What's it worth? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CarsByCarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 5,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
 
Garage
What's it worth?

Thinking about building some cars in my slow season to keep myself busy.

So, what do you guys think a Fox body car prepped for street/strip use with a BBF, C6, 4-point roll bar, drag radials, etc. be worth? This would include one of my engines, new trans/converter, track tested and ready to run. Probably talking about a ~11.50, no interior but painted/bedlined with two front seats and one five point belt.

I've always liked Fairmont/Zephyrs, but would Mustangs hold more mass market appeal?

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
CarsByCarl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
hillbillyerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: mulberry,ar.
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
i think the it would depend on your customer base, might have to build one of each n see which draws more attention? stang or fairmont/ zepher? as to worth? economy is shot as we all know, but we are Americans and we will have our toy`s , i see stang`s and cougar`s t-bird`s round the track here giong from round $4,500 to $12,500 but most are sbcjunk, a few sbf, n even fewer BBF, sorry i`m not much help would love to see pics of finished product

EATIN dodges n SH_TIN chevy`s
1963 fairlane 511 bbf in progress
1969 mustang coupe 347 stroker coming soon
1963 stepside F100 429 c6
hillbillyerv is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
cletus66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charles City, Virginia
Posts: 2,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
 
Race stuff?????

I have 15K+ in my 11 second junk, (the whole car) and I would be shocked to get more than 2K for it.

It is like I heard here before. Everybody wants a 9 second motor that they can run for 15 years, and they want to pay fitty bucks. I may have been just a "little" off on the numbers..........



And this opens up a whole new can of worms....

I will never be a businessman because I REFUSE to pour my heart and soul into a project that some hamfisted dip**** will take out and abuse !!!!!!



Serious question: How do you professionals put up with halfwitted customers (MYSELF INCLUDED) and avoid self destruct mode?????




My **** runs because my machinist is sober enough to compensate for my drunken assembly techniques !!!!!!

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg

Last edited by cletus66; 11-23-2009 at 12:14 PM.
cletus66 is online now  
 
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CarsByCarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 5,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
Serious question: How do you professionals put up with halfwitted customers (MYSELF INCLUDED) and avoid self destruct mode?????
Answer: 5:00 = Beer O'clock!

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
CarsByCarl is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
mudbogtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
Thinking about building some cars in my slow season to keep myself busy.

So, what do you guys think a Fox body car prepped for street/strip use with a BBF, C6, 4-point roll bar, drag radials, etc. be worth? This would include one of my engines, new trans/converter, track tested and ready to run. Probably talking about a ~11.50, no interior but painted/bedlined with two front seats and one five point belt.

I've always liked Fairmont/Zephyrs, but would Mustangs hold more mass market appeal?
As much as I like the different stuff, resale value and popularity is gonna have to go with the fox body stang.

Tom

Soon to be powered by...
www.carsbycarl.com
mudbogtom is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Senior Member
 
cletus66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charles City, Virginia
Posts: 2,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
 
Carl, I remember seeing a few adds in MMFF from some guys in Texas that were offering race ready rollers. I googled it, but the A.D.D. kicked in, and I got lost on some Amazon butterflies......


I really like your idea, and have contemplated it myself, but being a fat old drunk really takes the ambition out of me.......

I can't even finish my own stuff.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
cletus66 is online now  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
billandlori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Stratford, Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
That's a cool concept Carl. Being able to buy a dyno/track proven car and go racing has some appeal!!

There is a guy in town that bought a Cuda years ago. Fully built 10.xx race car. He doesn't change anything, just goes rounds and wins championships.

I agree the Mustang would be more popular (personally I like the Mont!!). As far as price goes, I guess you'd have to figger you costs and see where you end up. Keeping the guys busy over the winter is a cool deal.

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
billandlori is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 AM
Forum Contributor
 
83-88T-Bird Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bardstown, KY
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
 
Tough market Carl.

Here is my reasoning: I do alot of searching on the net for cars like you mentioned. There are a crap load of them out there for sale. The one thing about custom (non-production ) vehicles is that no 2 people like the same set-up or combo of features.

So, most hot rodders are going to take what they buy and modify it anyway.
I suppose a guy could make money doing what you propose tho.

Good luck.

Alan Mackin

83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0 RHO
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird 2.3 Turbo NHRA Stock Eliminator
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 460
95 Mustang GT 5spd Saphire Blue (purple)
95 Mustang GT auto Saphire Blue (purple)IHRA Pure Stocker
83-88T-Bird Guy is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CarsByCarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 5,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billandlori View Post
That's a cool concept Carl. Being able to buy a dyno/track proven car and go racing has some appeal!!

There is a guy in town that bought a Cuda years ago. Fully built 10.xx race car. He doesn't change anything, just goes rounds and wins championships.

I agree the Mustang would be more popular (personally I like the Mont!!). As far as price goes, I guess you'd have to figger you costs and see where you end up. Keeping the guys busy over the winter is a cool deal.

Bill
I have a pretty good idea of what my cost would be, but I'm having trouble finding comparable vehicles for a projected selling price. That's why I'm asking you guys.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
CarsByCarl is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CarsByCarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 5,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-88T-Bird Guy View Post
Tough market Carl.

Here is my reasoning: I do alot of searching on the net for cars like you mentioned. There are a crap load of them out there for sale. The one thing about custom (non-production ) vehicles is that no 2 people like the same set-up or combo of features.

So, most hot rodders are going to take what they buy and modify it anyway.
I suppose a guy could make money doing what you propose tho.

Good luck.
I'm definitely familiar with people's need for customization. I've sold very few crate engines that didn't include some changes.

Initially, I was thinking about doing some BBF Cobra replicas but I had a friend suggest Fox body drag cars. Lower investment, and nobody else is doing it. Kind of like a Saleen Mustang, but built for street/strip instead of road/touring.

I'm certainly open to alternate body styles, but figured the Fox stuff was fairly standardized.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
CarsByCarl is offline  
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Member
 
SRD4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Millersville,MD
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
We all know prices vary by geography,But last yr. around this time I found quite a few Rollers from $2,000. to $3,500. in the Md. Pa. Va. area.
My partner traded a RX-7 w/sbc for an 89 fox,mini-tub,10 pt. cage roller the guy was selling for $1,800.HTH
SRD4X4 is offline  
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
nickbay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
 
build it with an 8 or 10 point cage and it will sell better in my opinion.
Just me but I would be more interested in a car from you than I would from an unknown

67 mustang street car, 1977 460, 212 degree cam, 2500 converter, 3.50 gears, RHP Edelbrock heads
best ET 12.01, mph 112.98, 60ft 1.69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HztIgJymNw

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/laveennick/
nickbay is offline  
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CarsByCarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 5,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
 
Garage
Did a quick search on RacingJunk.com. Seems the mid-point is about $12,500.00. Of course that doesn't mean they're actually selling for that. Are these guys totally out of line, or is this a reasonable average?

http://www.racingjunk.com/search?act...sPP=&sortBy=pl

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
CarsByCarl is offline  
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CarsByCarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 5,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbay View Post
build it with an 8 or 10 point cage and it will sell better in my opinion.
Just me but I would be more interested in a car from you than I would from an unknown
I guess that's a good question. How would you guys want it spec'd? My theory was to make it a reliable, steetable car that got down to the limits of needing real certified safety equipment. Something you could drive on the highway for an hour or so, run it at the track and drive home.

460? Stroker? Iron heads? Alum heads? 4-point bar? 8 point cage? 5 lug conversion? stock 8.8? Upgraded axles?

Of course there's going to be a "bling" factor with an 8 point, alum heads, 9" rear, stroker, etc....those things all drive up the price and aren't really needed to get one of these cars into the mid-11's, right?

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 11-24-2009 at 11:22 AM.
CarsByCarl is offline  
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
nickbay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
I guess that's a good question. How would you guys want it spec'd? My theory was to make it a reliable, steetable car that got down to the limits of needing real certified safety equipment. Something you could drive on the highway for an hour or so, run it at the track and drive home.

460? Stroker? Iron heads? Alum heads? 4-point bar? 8 point cage? 5 lug conversion? stock 8.8? Upgraded axles?

Of course there's going to be a "bling" factor with an 8 point, alum heads, 9" rear, stroker, etc....those things all drive up the price and aren't really needed to get one of these cars into the mid-11's, right?
When you said no interior I envision more of a racecar. Mid 11's would be possible with interior and be more streetable. I like the streetable part you mentioned but if you pull the interior, carpet, etc, to me it would be unbearable noisy. You're right though 11.5's and you don't need even the four point roll bar. I still say it'll run mid 11's with an interior. I think you'd have to keep it in the 10 grand range, maybe a bit more. Tough to do I would think.

67 mustang street car, 1977 460, 212 degree cam, 2500 converter, 3.50 gears, RHP Edelbrock heads
best ET 12.01, mph 112.98, 60ft 1.69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HztIgJymNw

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/laveennick/
nickbay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome