piston selection - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

piston selection

im looking for some 30 over forged pistons with around 4cc relief to give me a comp ratio of about 9.9 with 95cc heads. i will have to 0 deck my block. i found some inexpensive pistons on summit and wanted to get some of the views of these pistons from some of the members experiences. They are the sealed power speed pro power forged pistons part number Z8LW2602F30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:21 PM

Smile pistons

Speedpro pistons came up in another question on this forum in the last few days. They are good quality, very durable. Some say they are a heavy piston, this is probably true but they balance just fine, and it might be why they hold up so well. I'm currently using their dish tops in my blown 473 with Blue Thunder 100cc heads and it has worked well. Speedpro used to be the old TRW pistons, very well known in the 1970s and 80s, probably the most popular affordable piston back then. We sold tons of them at Super Shops, and had good customer feedback. I'm don't have a catalog to tell you how your compression will work out but they should have a piston to put you in the ballpark you are looking for. Summit customer service should be able to answer with the correct part #.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks. summit has a set of 8 for sell just over 70.00 The comp height is 1.756 though so i think ill look for another set. Man thats cheap though....Any body know of any black friday sales on pistons. My budget is pointing me towards the kb pistons and nobody hardly likes them. Of course i have no clue why

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's a killer price for a set of 8 forged pistons. In an early block that should only put you .014" in the hole, or .036" in a late block. Should cost what? $100-$150 to deck a block? Compared to $300-400 more to get another set of forged pistons and you likely still would have to shave it a bit to zero deck unless you're lucky and it works out real close. Depending on your application, HP goals and RPM the extra weight of these pistons may not be a big deal.

I'm actually considering picking a set of these up for whenever I get around to rebuilding the stock 460 in my Galaxie. Price seems too good to pass up if they're a decent forged piston. I paid $270 for the KB flat tops I run in my truck's 460, and kinda regret not going forged for peace of mind, simply because it's a heavy lifted truck that pulls a trailer and has a mild cam so it pushes the limits of pump gas so I gotta be careful with timing to avoid detonation. That being said, the KB pistons I run (KB137) seemed to be of good quality and have held up well so far (about 5000 miles). I wouldn't mind running KB hypers again, but I'd feel more comfortable pushing the limits of detonation with a forged piston. With a hyper I wouldn't sweat it if I had more fudge room on octane/timing such as in a lighter car and/or with a larger cam.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76grantorino View Post
thanks. summit has a set of 8 for sell just over 70.00 The comp height is 1.756 though so i think ill look for another set. Man thats cheap though....Any body know of any black friday sales on pistons. My budget is pointing me towards the kb pistons and nobody hardly likes them. Of course i have no clue why
Maybe I'm missing something, but I see the two different versions of that Speed Pro piston selling for $54.95 & $56.95 apiece.

They are fairly heavy...if you plan to keep the max rpm at reasonable levels, it probably won't be an issue. If you intend to spin it 7000+, I'd look elsewhere.

The KB hypers are fine, if you pay attention to the recommended ring gap & are careful with your tune, and don't expect them to do things for which they are not designed. They don't have the same tolerance for error/abuse that a forged piston does. I don't have any experience with the KB forged pistons...heard they are OK. They are comparable in price to the Speed Pro pistons.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 PM

wow... that seems like good deal
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to 95lightiningguy
forged or hyper

I've been using the speed pro hypers in the last 3 small blocks I built with great results but in a high crompression, high revving big block I would buy the forged at that great price and be very happy.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76grantorino View Post
Now that is a Black Friday deal I will take 2 sets

You cant go wrong at that price
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Pistons

I ordered a set just to see what the deal is. Summit will probably try to get out of the sale. I bet it was supposed to be 371.00 or something like that. Delivery date is 12/10.

1972 torino 460 c-6
1988 turbo coupe, 1978 f150 460/c6
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:10 PM

I just ordered 2 sets this morning. I called them and the guy I talked to said that sounded too cheap for a set of 8 pistons. He then put me on hold and after about 5 minutes he came back on and said that he was going to check into this and I should call back on monday. I then ordered 2 sets online since he would not take my order on the phone. I bet Summit will not send me 2 sets either. If you take the 8 off the part number and just look at the trw-ZLW2602F30 number it lists them for $54 each if I remember correctly. Delivery date on mine in 12/11/09 we will see. If they do send me 2 sets I bet they will sell the crap out of them because everybody will be buying a set of them at that price.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

CATS OUT THE BAG..HURRY AND BUY

ok now that the cat is out of the bag im gonna buy a set as well. if im .014 in the hole, with a 150 0 deck, 30 over, 95cc heads, head gasket at .032 and 4.440 gasket bore that will put me at 9.959 comp ratio and quench set at .046 this sound good to me... how about you guys. Tiger, in the marines we have a saying... loose lips sink ships. this is obviously a typo on their part and i was just wanted to pass this on since you guys give me a ton of advice on engine building. Wonder if summit will honor the sale. its still posted as of now and am wondering if i should buy 2 sets???
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

just ordered 2 sets! $155.33
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:06 PM

So if I have a Dive Block zero deck with C8 heads what will it likely turn out in the compression range?

Like around 10.8?

Dam wife caught me & asked why the hell I need 2 sets LOoks like only one Del date 12/11

Last edited by Broncoholic; 11-28-2009 at 07:04 PM.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

lol.You should have told your wife that they are for 4cyl and you have an 8cyl so you need twice as many for your engine.. i can figure that for you but i need the gasket thickness, over bore, cc of the heads,ect or you could go to http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoholic View Post
So if I have a Dive Block zero deck with C8 heads what will it likely turn out in the compression range?

Like around 10.8?

Dam wife caught me & asked why the hell I need 2 sets LOoks like only one Del date 12/11
It is a good idea to have spares for parts like that... and if you have spare rods, have them balanced at the same time. Offer up a couple of the leftovers and make up some of the difference for the original set to other guys who might find the need for spares. If I had found a couple new extra Eagle SIR rods before I bought my pistons/rotating assembly... there would be extras on the shelf already balanced and ready in case of a mishap.

Tom

Soon to be powered by...
www.carsbycarl.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in