More Late Model Mustan GT times... Min Mods Auto 11.61 - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

More Late Model Mustan GT times... Min Mods Auto 11.61

I know you guys might be tired of me posting up late model Mustang times..... But damn they run hard with so little work!!!
Good Job Ford!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois
Today, I went to the track with our 2011 Mustang GT auto. I got in the car, drove 40 miles to the track, went to the staging lanes right off the street, and made 3 hotlap passes within 20 minutes, and drove 40 miles home.

Only new mod was our aluminum 1-piece driveshaft. Previous mods were Stainless Works Headers, Catted Mid-Pipe, and Catback, 4.10 Ring & Pinion, Livernois Motorsports Dyno Tune, and skinnies/drag radials.

The car still has the stock airbox and no suspension mods other than a swaybar relocation bracket.

The next mods will be a converter and CAI.

Best ET 11.61 @ 118.79 mph
Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWye...layer_embedded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Good go'n mate(buddy)! 80 mile trip all round was it?
Hmmm...keep the traveling miles up to about 100.000+ miles at least and run in the 10's. Then ya' got somthing to crow about! Drive in, race,drive out and home or on to the next track, race some more...But hey..top car.. looks like a real hard head of a machine. Hooks up nice and good e.t's. Hope you cut the times down further. Keep it a true street n' strip thumper! All the best..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Whoops, its not my car, its Livernois Motorsports development car.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

The new body style looks great. I think it is an improvement over the 05-09, and I liked that one too. I asked Ellen if she would be upset if I brought one home while we still live in a trailer. She made it clear that if I bought one she would no longer be living in a trailer. At least, not mine.........

Reminds me of that country song..

"I'm Gonna Miss Her"

But then who would paint all of my rusty junk???

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I don't know maybe its just me, but I remember the days of low 13 second street cars being damn fast!! Now you're throwing wheels/tires headers and a tune and running mid 11's in a base model Mustang GT at almost 120mph? I just can't get over it.....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMarkV View Post
I don't know maybe its just me, but I remember the days of low 13 second street cars being damn fast!! Now you're throwing wheels/tires headers and a tune and running mid 11's in a base model Mustang GT at almost 120mph? I just can't get over it.....

Yes, but there is a cost involved. I remember several years ago we were at the track, and I was impressed with a stock looking Lightning running low 13's. A friend of mine said "Shoot, for 40 grand, I can build a 9 second race car and buy a truck and trailer to pull it with."

But those new Mustangs sure are nice........

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
Yes, but there is a cost involved. I remember several years ago we were at the track, and I was impressed with a stock looking Lightning running low 13's. A friend of mine said "Shoot, for 40 grand, I can build a 9 second race car and buy a truck and trailer to pull it with."
Yeah, I've heard all that before!!! I'd love to hear from people who actually did it!!

The guys that look like they did it usually have been building that particular car for years and have a HUGE pile of parts hanging around. Starting from scratch is a different deal.
Building from used parts can save a lot too....but you better include the parts that were junk or wouldn't work in your total.

I'm doing a mild mechanical restore on a '71 C20 for a friend of mine and even using used and junkyard parts where I can the price tag is already over 3 grand just to get it road worthy. And this is an 49,000 mile original survivor truck, not a rotted junk box.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202770

I'd love to hear honest answers from guys that built fast street cars what they cost.

Last edited by AndyMarkV; 08-30-2010 at 08:11 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMarkV View Post
Yeah, I've heard all that before!!! I'd love to hear from people who actually did it!!

The guys that look like they did it usually have been building that particular car for years and have a HUGE pile of parts hanging around. Starting from scratch is a different deal.
Building from used parts can save a lot too....but you better include the parts that were junk or wouldn't work in your total.

I'm doing a mild mechanical restore on a '71 C20 for a friend of mine and even using used and junkyard parts where I can the price tag is already over 3 grand just to get it road worthy. And this is an 49,000 mile original survivor truck, not a rotted junk box.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202770

I'd love to hear honest answers from guys that built fast street cars what they cost.

You make several good points here. Hence the dilemma....

If I didn't have 15 assorted cars and projects sitting around, I could have bought a new GT500. I also wouldn't need a building that will hold 6 rusty junkers either....

I envy the guys that can focus on 1 project without having automotive A.D.D.
Variety is cool, but when it is a bunch o' rusty junk, it is just a money pit. Dang rednecks.....

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I hear you! I was going to focus on my '97 30th Z28 LT1 6sp that I owned for 11 years.
But by the time I got the 383 longtubes, w/duals, better clutch and 12 bolt, I'd have dumped almost 10 grand into a car that was worth 8.
It was a huge one time expense the buy the GT500, but with my limited abilities it was the only way I was going to get into a 500rwhp car that I could commute 60 miles a day.

But I LOVE dirt cheap build ups!
I've always thought this is the most awesome dirt cheap Ford build-up!!
But the guy has talent, a huge stash of parts and the knowledge of where to get the good used stuff!
Enjoy reading the "10 Day Torino"!
http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=22581.0
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the 2011 Mustang is very impressive !

Costly, yes. But the more Ford makes, the more of those cars will show up on car lots 10 years from now.

I understand the cost to build a car can add up quickly. I have sunk alot of $$ into all of my 10 vehicles I have right now, so it's no time to bail now !!....LOL

I would love to buy a 2011 Stang, but there's no way I want to loose money on depriciation, extra insurance costs, etc. So, I'll just instead lose money on my fleet of "old" vehicles.

Alan Mackin

83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0 RHO
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird 2.3 Turbo NHRA Stock Eliminator
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 460
95 Mustang GT 5spd Saphire Blue (purple)
95 Mustang GT auto Saphire Blue (purple)IHRA Pure Stocker
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

I guess costly is a relative term?
Yes, the new Mustang GT is costly, but if people were honest about EVERYTHING they spent on a project car..... It might not seem quite so costly.

On the previously mentioned project C20, it has been an eye opening experience to keep track of EVERY cost! And I'm sure there has been small nickel dime stuff I forgot to write down... Ten small ten dollar items is one hundred bucks, and quick!!
I think all of us would be pretty scared if we really knew what was spent. But being long term projects, takes the sting out of it.

My father in-laws Lincoln was a $500 barn find and I know he has well over 8 grand in it over a period of 10 years. And talk about depreciation!!!! Who the hell is going to give 8 grand or even 3 grand for a 77 Lincoln Mark V with OK (at best) paint, OK performing motor, non restored interior and bad fuel mileage.

It all comes down to fun. Are you having fun? My father in-law had fun patching up the Lincoln and making it better. I'm having fun in my late model car even with the payment.

But the fun per dollar is a tricky concept.... If the money you spent on multiple projects would equal one really nice "do it all" car, that's something you really have to think about.

Last edited by AndyMarkV; 08-31-2010 at 01:08 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to 95lightiningguy
But the fun per dollar is a tricky concept.... If the money you spent on multiple projects would equal one really nice "do it all" car, that's something you really have to think about.[/QUOTE]

Whered you find a do it all car I need one bad.

89 F150 351w powered
95 F150 300 I6 5 speed soon to be 460 powered lightining clone
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95lightiningguy View Post
But the fun per dollar is a tricky concept.... If the money you spent on multiple projects would equal one really nice "do it all" car, that's something you really have to think about.
Whered you find a do it all car I need one bad.[/QUOTE]
I drag race, autocross, daily commute and soon to road race my '07 GT500. What else is left to do?

I guess I could do all those things in any car, just might not be as fun!
Ususally a project car gets turned in a certain direction. It gets pretty expensive to try and do it all and do it well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in