Please Buy From USA Speed Part Manufactures - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please Buy From USA Speed Part Manufactures

There have been many companys that do research and development, produce and sell speed parts, go under and close there doors forever. Crane Cams is just one example of that.
20 years ago, was China doing R&D on BBF heads? The Answer is no. The only reason they produce parts for our sport now is the almighty dollar. They have no passion for our sport like Edlbrock, Crower, Crane Cams, etc. They didn't grow up racing with the same people who bought there parts.
If you can't buy american parts, at least buy from vendors on this forum who give us all the information they have, help us by doing there own R&D, and share their experence with us.

Tom

"The more hair I lose, the more head I get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 02:41 PM

I was going to bid on a set of roller lifters on Ebay one day but I noticed that they shipped from Hong Kong. It didn't take long to change my mind. You just know that you'd be lucky to get more than a few weeks use out of something like that before they failed, and who knows what other damage would result. Most of that Chinese stuff looks OK but the metallurgy just isn't there to make it work. It'd be a lot like buying a Chinese electric drill and having it cash in on the second hole you tried to drill. Been there! Done that!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Crane Cams.

From a post on another forum, where I asked Chase Knight for an update on the Crane Cams.

"The new Crane Cams has been up and running for just over a year. The ignition line is at full strength. The camshaft and valvetrain products are at about 80%. We've been grinding cams all of this year, both steel and cast. Most components are in decent supply, and the new catalog will be released within about a month. We're still in Daytona Beach, and literally growing each week. Our toll-free tech line is 866-388-5120, and that's probably all I should say without sounding like an advertisement, and gettin booted off of here. Thanks, Chase"

1972 torino 460 c-6
1988 turbo coupe, 1978 f150 460/c6

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

That's good news

Happy to hear about Crane surviving. Some companies are being bought out by chinese and keeping the same brand name. I am not implying in anyway that Crane has done that, just using it as a example.
My intent with this post was to put some light on the fact that the parts we are enjoying now, most came from good american companies in the past. I hate to see these guys go under while someone in china is punching the parts out, using the reverse engineering that they do so well.
If China started making Boss 429 heads at $1000 a set, and we all bought them. Is that really fair to Jon or Tim Miller? They did all the hard work and now someone else in China will benefit. If this happens too much, they close their doors and find other things to do in order to pay the bills. This example will play out over and over again as long as we do not TRY to support our USA companys.
The least we can do is purchase our products from them.

Tom

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747JETMECH View Post
Happy to hear about Crane surviving. Some companies are being bought out by chinese and keeping the same brand name. I am not implying in anyway that Crane has done that, just using it as a example.
My intent with this post was to put some light on the fact that the parts we are enjoying now, most came from good american companies in the past. I hate to see these guys go under while someone in china is punching the parts out, using the reverse engineering that they do so well.
If China started making Boss 429 heads at $1000 a set, and we all bought them. Is that really fair to Jon or Tim Miller? They did all the hard work and now someone else in China will benefit. If this happens too much, they close their doors and find other things to do in order to pay the bills. This example will play out over and over again as long as we do not TRY to support our USA companys.
The least we can do is purchase our products from them.

Tom
The same could be said for buying from companies that file bankruptcy and never pay their suppliers ... is it really fair to the companies that worked hard to pay their bills and keep their doors open? The reverse engineering isn't right, but neither is stiffing your vendors and making them pay for your financial failures, only to start up down the road to do it all over again, banking on customers to buy the name.
Tom
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am sick of all this Chinese sh!t. All they make is knock-off junk that is inferior in metalurgy strength and workmanship.

Americans are the only ones who are in a race to destroy their own country in favor of supporting other countries.

We need to turn this situation around. Almost everything that comes from China is fvcking crap!!

Pay more for quality products....I do, I try to buy American made goods in everything I buy. Sure, its not always possible, but I at least try to investigate where its from before I buy it.

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Cool

Quote:
There have been many companys that do research and development, produce and sell speed parts, go under and close there doors forever. Crane Cams is just one example of that.
20 years ago, was China doing R&D on BBF heads? The Answer is no. The only reason they produce parts for our sport now is the almighty dollar. They have no passion for our sport like Edlbrock, Crower, Crane Cams, etc. They didn't grow up racing with the same people who bought there parts.
If you can't buy american parts, at least buy from vendors on this forum who give us all the information they have, help us by doing there own R&D, and share their experence with us.

Tom
Thanks Tom. Pretty much everything that HFD makes is U.S.A. made.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

I understand what is trying to be said however, sometimes a USA made part is not near the quality or repeatability of parts made in Germany, Great Britian, Japan, Korea, South America, Isreal, Australia, New Zealand and other places.

I will buy the QUALITY part no matter where it's made.
That USED to be the USA but, not necessarily any more.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
Quote:

Tom
I have a kinda similar feeling about Wal-Mart, I remember when Sam Walton was alive the main purpose behind the store was to keep American companies going which is where all the Sam's choice brands originated from. Since he passed away the new Wal-Mart croporation is all about making money not supporting American's jobs. When the local Wally World put the local Kmart out of business they had a pizza party for all employees. What kinda crap is that? This is why I drive 15 miles to go to Kmart rather than shop there!

While building my new engine I sourced as many parts from American manufactures as possible!

The government is not gonna bring jobs back to America. We as Americans need to demand American made items before things will improve. Most of the companies that have moved to Mexico etc are owned or are primarily controlled by high ranking government officials. Makes it hard to fix our economy when the people running our country are the ones selling us out!

Eric Millard
[email protected]

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy View Post
I understand what is trying to be said however, sometimes a USA made part is not near the quality or repeatability of parts made in Germany, Great Britian, Japan, Korea, South America, Isreal, Australia, New Zealand and other places.

I will buy the QUALITY part no matter where it's made.
That USED to be the USA but, not necessarily any more.
that about sums it up . quality never goes out of style
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblok86ranger View Post
We as Americans need to BUY American made items before things will improve.
Fixed that for you.

I've had American made BBF parts available for years now and I can they just aren't hot sellers. Very few are willing to sacrifice cubic inches in a stroker to stay with an offset ground factory crank, even fewer are interested in building an aluminum headed 460 that uses all American made parts instead of a stroker with offshore parts. (both cost about the same)

These threads come up every so often and nothing ever changes. I've always been a strong supporter of American made, but I'm starting to reconsider. None of us have the power to change the game. Maybe we just need to play the game with the rules that we're given.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
[QUOTE=CarsByCarl;924206]Fixed that for you.

Thanks for fixing that!

I have given quite a bit of thought to the economy and My best friend andI are in agreement that we have yet to see the market crash. Not too long ago I lived pretty decent on about $7/hr less than I make now, but I have rough times at my current wages sometimes. I hate to say it but when what used to be middle class has hard times with making bills sometimes then something has to give. The cost of living has been driven past the point of the average man and something will change weather we want it to or not, it's gonna happen.

Eric Millard
[email protected]

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

USA

Hi Randy and Carl

I understand what you are saying and this is why I uncluded this in my original post. "If you can't buy american, at least buy from someone on this board"
The reason I stated that is I appreciate all the advise you and others provide. I also appreciate all the R&D results you share with us. We can at least support those you support us, the average guy.
I know some of you try to make a living at selling off shore parts and thats ok, there is a market for that. Not everyone can afford a Bryant or Crower crank. You can afford qaulity if you have to buy cheap twice.
How many times has some english speaking chinese guy from one of the overseas companies answered my questions on this board? The reason I say chinese is because that is where most of the stuff is made.
Do you really want Crower, Bryant, Kaase to go out of business? No

Not trying to start a pissing match and this will be my last post in this subject. Next time one of you are looking to buy parts for a project, try to buy USA or from one of our vendors on this forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in