Any negative effects from engine bay bracing? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
AKB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any negative effects from engine bay bracing?

In addition to doing some subframe connectors to stiffen up my Fairlane, I am considering doing some engine bay bracing. I was thinking of doing something similar to this, with some nice steel plate to spread out the load on the mounting points>

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0027_large.jpg

Now my question is this.. Will this be alright for a street car that does not have a cage, or will having the front end braced like this cause any problems? Just curious.. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Don't some headers have a tough time fitting when you put a tube through those areas? I don't think going out the front of the shock tower would help much really but tying the shock towers into the cowl area is probably just as effective with the stock factory bolt in brace or something similar.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
AKB

Well since I have a small block I don't think header removal will be an issue. And if I do this I will be able to tuck them closer to the sides than the picture shows, because the car in the picture is not the same year as mine. My front frame rails are spread farther apart, so there's no need for the bars to angle in so much. As far as stock tower braces are concerned, 66 Fairlanes didn't have 'em There is an aftermarket brace available though>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...Q5fAccessories

I just don't think that would be as effective as a set of welded in tubes though. Plus it would get in the way for a lot of repairs, and have to be removed. And the main thing I don't like about it is the fact that it attaches to the firewall right where the seam is. You're supposed to weld a plate to the top portion of the seam for the bolts to mount into, but that just doesn't seem very sturdy to me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=AKB;923917]Well since I have a small block I don't think header removal will be an issue. And if I do this I will be able to tuck them closer to the sides than the picture shows, because the car in the picture is not the same year as mine. My front frame rails are spread farther apart, so there's no need for the bars to angle in so much. As far as stock tower braces are concerned, 66 Fairlanes didn't have 'em There is an aftermarket brace available though>

i agree with Dave. the bars from the shock towers going forward to the frame rails probably aren't very effective. The bars from the shock towers into the firewall should help but only if they connect to something sturdy like the front bars of a cage. I don't know Fairlanes but an effective way in Mustangs is to ditch the 2 piece struts from the firewall to the shock towers and install a one piece "export brace". A one piece Monte Carlo bar that connects the two shock towers together is an effective way of keeping the shock towers from sagging in towards the engine.

It depends on what movement you are trying to limit. the Mustang stuff is all about keeping the shock towers from sagging inwards. It seems to me that the round bars in the photo are there to reduce the load on the cantilevered front frame rails (keep them from bending up?)

JMHO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0015_1.jpg (59.4 KB, 17 views)

1967 Mustang
521 / C6 / 9"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
AKB

I was just trying to stiffen everything up, and keep it square. And yeah, you made a good point about that bar across the engine bay. I was thinking about doing one of those as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 PM

I am not sure who sells it right now but there is an aftermarket kit to brace the shock towers on a Fairlane. It consists of a metal bracket that bolts to the lip on the firewall and two angle braces that goto the shock towers and continue on to the center of the radiator support thus making a square which is 45 degrees from the firewall/inner fenders

521 Powered 66 Fairlane
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

I'd say that having something across the engine bay and also a triangular gusset that would tie the shock towers into that pinch welded area at the cowl which is probably quite strong would be a big help.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
AKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
I'd say that having something across the engine bay and also a triangular gusset that would tie the shock towers into that pinch welded area at the cowl which is probably quite strong would be a big help.
I suppose it is. Just something about that seam in the firewall bothers me. I get this image of it splitting open like a clam, as the shock towers flex and pull the brace tight during a turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in