Diesel 4R100 trans - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
Diesel 4R100 trans

Well after a 950 mile trip this weekend we barely made it home. It sucks because it only has 41k miles on the truck which is a 99 F350 dually. Does anybody have any suggestion on a tranny and converter? we do tow a 48ft trailer and haul 2 cars but only here locally as of now. Maybe longer trips next year. I have ATS here in town but really don't know if there stuff is that good. But there warranty is 5 years 500,000 miles the best out there. Butt they seem little pricey?

Ace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:12 PM

I have heard good things about them. Plus 5/500,000 is a heck of a warranty. I don't think you could get that with a separate policy anywhere. It would mean a lot more to you than most since they are in your backyard. Someone across the country would have trouble getting it serviced
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM

I'd steer clear of ATS. To bad you weren't closer, we'd just pop it out and go through it.

It seems you were having some reversing issues? Whats up with it now?

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Brian's Truck Stop (BTS) has a pretty good rep from what I understand. I've had no problems crossing the country 6 times this year towing a 33' trailer.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69 View Post
I'd steer clear of ATS. To bad you weren't closer, we'd just pop it out and go through it.

It seems you were having some reversing issues? Whats up with it now?
1) noticed that the emission test showed that the power to the rear wheeels was down 20hp this was back in Janurary
2) towed that trailer home from a storage lot and it wouldn't shift from 2 to 3 or maybe it was 3 to overdrive. Once we got home for some strange reason it would not back up. It acted like it was in gear but it would not move. Like a transbrake was on. thinking back I though to myself it was shifting funny towing the trailer. It would shift from 3 to over drive like it was slipping then lock up pretty hard. fluid level ok and just starting to show a little tint of brown in color.
3) Now we towed the trailer to New Mexico to pick up a car for the kids. But had to tow the car to race track and take a rough road in the place that was maybe 2 1/2 miles in. Well due to the low speeds I turned off the over drive and though it was either in 2nd or 3rd and as we were towing my trans temp started climbing to 210 degrees. It's never been past 185 in its life. So after finding out the NEW car has a transmission problem as well ( no 2nd gear!!!!!!! Another story) we loaded it up and left for Denver. It was 180 ish when we started to leave but by the tie we go out of there and to a main road to get on the highway it was at 210 again. Got on the high way and the thing would not shift in to overdrive for about 1.4 mile or less. So we just kept at at 55mph and as we were driving the temps started to come down. So now we go maybe 50 miles and the thing runnning 185 degrees so we kept going to try and make it home. Both kids had to be to wrk in the A.M. so we just kept movoing along. at one point we had to get fuel and got off the hihgway and had to pass though town and it started to climb again. Fueled up got on the raod and it came down. Coming to hills it would not down shift from overdrive at all.

the only mods on this truck is a 4" exhaust and a bully Dog 90hp chip. I love the chip but hate the shift program as it shifts to early. Even when not towing it would not down shift coming to hill that is beow 40mph or traffic slows down and I would kick the Overdrive off till it cleared up.

5) So what have you heard bad about them (ATS). I know of John Woods in Cali and Brians in AK but the shipping is going to kill me right now.

Ace
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 AM

Had this problem once on a F250. The converter is now burnt and the solenoid pack needs to be replaced. But by now the trani needs to be gone through. There is a sleeve on the input shaft that will need to be changed. If its worn by like a thousandth it needs replacement. Whoever builds the trani, they MUST change the sleeve. If not, you will be chasing ghosts. The wear on the sleeve allows fluid to bypass and not correct amount/pressure to converter. Its been awhile but I can remember pulling the trani back out just to change the sleeve.

www.thecustommuffler.com

Live webcam, no matter how hard you try, bad things sometimes still happen.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

FORD makes a 4R100HD. Heavy duty. So is this a good trans? if so whats all been don to them as far as improvements?

Ace
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:55 PM

just a thought for after you fix it

Ace, you may already know this, but the Diesel trucks from 1999 to 2002 do not have enough cooling capacity for the tranny oil. I just bought a 2002 F350 dually and have been reading up on them on "thedieselstop" website. According to what I have read and can recall, common problems include bad torque converters and not enough cooling of trans oil. The 1999 ran an external cooler only with nothing through the radiator. Alot of people are using the 26 row 6.0 diesel cooler. My brothers 2001 7.3 tranny oil would run at 210 degrees, empty, on a slight hill in 75 degree weather. The 6.0 cooler solved his problem. There is also a bypass between the oil out and in lines(which can malfunction).

Just something to consider, of course won't fix your existing problems!

(Quite a few guys at dieselstop highly recommend BTS, expensive, but bulletproof)

Last edited by Tim Thiel; 10-11-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add the bts comment
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

BTS is the way to go but He's 1 1/2-2 months out and gets $4500. Then theres shipping round trip and labor to have someone put it in. I just don't have $6k right now.

Ace
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 AM

try this guy. he is really good and quite reasonable. he builds trannys for all the diesel guys around here and they live. he builds all my stuff.

superior transmission
800-967-6140

ask for lance. tell him barry sent you.

barry

Strong Arm Customs
custom welding and machine

big block ford addicts anonymous member since 2001

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...barry/01-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in