Ford Techs, Dual exhaust 2010 5.4 - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ford Techs, Dual exhaust 2010 5.4

I traded in my 2007 on a 2010 FX4, On the 07 I had the exhaust split into duals from the transmission back and ran straight pipe 2 1/2" with 4" tips coming out behind the tires, The engine threw no codes and ran great with no ill effects. I have been told the 10's have better header like manifolds and higher flowing cats and to run this system will result in a loss of low end torque and likely trip my CEL. I know less back pressure the better on our BBF's but will this system not play well with the new computers in this truck?

Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 PM

I don't know about throwing codes but my Brother went to put the Dynomax dual exhaust on his 2005 F-150 Supercrew.It was a single inlet muffler dual outlet that split for the dual exhaust.He ended up taking it off because the pipe that split to the drivers side for the dual exhaust ran right in front of the rearend cover.He took it back and ended up getting the JBA single 3" Exhaust that expandes to a 3 1/2" polished stainless tip.It sounds pretty good not real loud but has a nice tone to it,Later Mark.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Wink

When planning out an exhaust system one has to take a couple of factors into consideration. First and most important is what the cams power curve is. Second, what rpm is the vehicle in question seeing 90% of the time.

On your truck the cams power curve is really idle to 3500 basically. As long as this is not a forced induction 5.4. So basically yes, a single 3" into the muffler with single or dual exits is waht you would want for your cam profile. The single 3" will INCREASE velocity. Velocity builds torque. True duals are for moving CFM. CFM is building horsepower. Thats a general rule of thumb for exhaust systems. I`m sure that 90% of your driving is BELOW 3500 rpm.

Just a helpul tip: Back pressure is not good for any motor. I don`t care what anyone tells you. Its what backpressure represents that you build for.

oops forgot, anything after the cat will not throw a code. The secondary O2 sensor (heat sensor) is there to ONLY monitor the condition of the cat. I make simulators for Fords that use a narrow band sensor. I think now they are implementing a wide band like GM.

www.thecustommuffler.com

Live webcam, no matter how hard you try, bad things sometimes still happen.

Last edited by thecustommuffler; 10-14-2010 at 05:39 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Some good info thanks, I went with a single 3" flowpro Louvered Core glass pack and ran the duals from there back. It was just too loud without a muffler of some sort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in