Forum Rules - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Forum Rules

After running across "What ever happened to Tom McTernan" on the internet, I decided to check it out. It brought me to your forum and I responded to it. I'm not really into forums as I've been entirerly too busy to take the time in the past.

After responding I answered a series of questions some of the members had, but unfortunitly I also discovered a bit of challenges and disrespect as well. I wasn't sure where it was coming from as I also knew it involved someone that had no idea who I was. I ran into it again in a thread I responded to involving wheelbase. I'm a "junior member of your forum, however there's nothing "junior" about me.

I saw the potential the 429/460 BBF had in the 1970's and began racing and establishing an R & D program second to none, experimenting with cylinder heads, induction systems and so on. My first impression of the forum was not favorable, however after reading Paul Kane's thread on "Joining the Mod Squad" and Chilly's thread on "Forum rules" I've decided to stick around awhile longer and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Hi Tom. Welcome to 460ford.com.

I don't know you from Adam, but hope you hang around a while.

-James

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
Don't know you but, WELCOME and stay around a while.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Welcome Tom. I'm here to learn and welcome any information you can contribute.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Welcome Tom! I don't know you personally, but I remember your stuff from the old days! Your experiences are welcome here, by me anyway.
I haven't read the threads on here that you speak of. Some here and on other forums, like to mess with people. I believe it's due, mostly, to the anonymity of a forum style debate.
I, for one, know of you and some of your cars.
Stick around. They can't compete with guys like you. They usually get outed after a bit. You may not even have to argue. There are others here just as well versed on the 385 as you and they will step in.
John.

1972 torino 460 c-6
1988 turbo coupe, 1978 f150 460/c6
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Welcome Tom , I've still got the magazine with your build in it !!
Frank
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Smile Welcome Tom!

Tom, let me tell you, I live right down the hill from you in Sacramento, and in the late 1970's and 1980's you were the inspiration and light for all us Ford fans that went to Sacramento Raceway. Anybody around then will remember it was a mostly Chevrolet town then, all the manufacturers made the most parts for them, and they were the cheapest to build, so they were the most plentiful. If you owned a Ford you knew it was going to cost more to build, and you would always get the smack talk from the other guys. To us Ford guys and gals, you were one of our Heros!! You showed everybody the Ford could run and not just compete, but win! With you running , we could hold our heads high, and ignore the smack talk. Guys like you that take the time to contribute your knowledge to this forum are a tremendous asset, and are greatly appreciated. There will always a few knuckleheads that want to challenge or smack talk on every forum,
just ignore it. Thank you for all you have done over the years, and welcome! Greg blown473
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merkl View Post
Welcome Tom , I've still got the magazine with your build in it !!
Frank
Frank can you scan that build and post it so we can see it.

Thanks Keith
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I remember articles back then about Tom & his 69 Mustang. If I remember correctly one was in one of Hot Rod magazine's "Engines" editions. I think it was about Tom's single Dommy 9.90 or 8.90 combos with 7+" long rods & the future plans for a tunnel ram. I think it was a ladder bar car, but I could be wrong.

If my mag article is different from Frank's I will scan & post it.........that is if I can find it.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.

Last edited by D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S.; 10-19-2010 at 09:50 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Tom, Welcome. I've personally seen the tunnel ram that you and Flatrod were talking about in his shop last winter. What a piece of work! Just goes to prove that good technology is good technology. No matter what material you have to work with it's all an art form in my opinion. BTW, Flatrod is the Ford machinist Guru that I speak of on here. He's done engine work on some of my "projects" and he's put up with my .....shall we say...."not so good" ideas and steered me in the right direction for many years now. People like he and you are an ever present inspiration to me and I'm humbled by your collective knowledge. Welcome, and please be patient with some of us less educated up-and-comers.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska

Last edited by White Lightning; 10-19-2010 at 11:21 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Frank, Welcome. I've personally seen the tunnel ram that you and Flatrod were talking about in his shop last winter. What a piece of work! Just goes to prove that good technology is good technology. No matter what material you have to work with it's all an art form in my opinion. BTW, Flatrod is the Ford machinist Guru that I speak of on here. He's done engine work on some of my "projects" and he's put up with my .....shall we say...."not so good" ideas and steered me in the right direction for many years now. People like he and you are an ever present inspiration to me and I'm humbled by your collective knowledge. Welcome, and please be patient with some of us less educated up-and-comers.
Rob
Dont you mean Tom
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Yip.....boy am I embarassed! lol I've changed it.....it's been a looong day.....Sorry Tom.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McTernan View Post
After running across "What ever happened to Tom McTernan" on the internet, I decided to check it out. It brought me to your forum and I responded to it. I'm not really into forums as I've been entirerly too busy to take the time in the past.

After responding I answered a series of questions some of the members had, but unfortunitly I also discovered a bit of challenges and disrespect as well. I wasn't sure where it was coming from as I also knew it involved someone that had no idea who I was. I ran into it again in a thread I responded to involving wheelbase. I'm a "junior member of your forum, however there's nothing "junior" about me.

I saw the potential the 429/460 BBF had in the 1970's and began racing and establishing an R & D program second to none, experimenting with cylinder heads, induction systems and so on. My first impression of the forum was not favorable, however after reading Paul Kane's thread on "Joining the Mod Squad" and Chilly's thread on "Forum rules" I've decided to stick around awhile longer and see what happens.
Hello Tom and welcome,
Been awhile but I remember some long phone conversations in the early 80's when I switched from Boss's and Clevelands to the 460 and needed some help. You were very gracious and extremely helpfull with helping me get my first 460 up and going. I recall meeting you and Don Cumby at the Winternationals maybe 1985.

Great to see you on here.
Gary Blair
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you all for your gracious welcome to your forum. Not being sure how these forums work and knowing who's who, I apologize if I've stepped on any toes over the past couple of weeks. We're all who we are and we all have a great deal to contribute to the forum and we can all benefit from all the experience that's available. I only hope we can keep the cheap shots to a minimum in the future in the interest of keeping everything constructive and on a positive note. If I have misunderstood humor for cheap shots or muliciousness, then I apologize in adavance for any misunderstanding. Tom McTernan
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

Stick around a while. If you are a true 460 fan it will be worth it. There are a-holes, geniuses and mentally challenged people everywhere you turn these days. You have to help the mentally challenged people, ignore the a-holes and learn from the geniuses. That is what I try to do anyway. ..oh yes. And you have to be smart enough to figure out who is who. Something tells me that you will do just fine with that.

Something also tells me that you can to more teaching than asking but remember this... The only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked.

Don't go away mad. This place could use a few more geniuses!!

Welcome!!

Send Questions To: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in