Howdy from San Antonio - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Howdy from San Antonio

Just figured I'd throw up an intro thread real quick. Name's Brandon. I live pretty close to San Antonio, TX. I joined up to read up and learn more about the drivetrain I just bought.

A couple weeks ago, a buddy of mine called me, and told me that he was looking at trading a 4x4 m5od-r2 transmission for a big block, but the guy couldn't get the 460 to run, so he offered him the entire drivetrain. I told my buddy to take the trade, and I ended up with about half of a truck that wouldn't run. Its a 1984 F250 with 460, hydraulic clutch np435 (i think), bw1345 with a d50 ttb front, sterling rear. Extended cab longbed, with a gutted cab and no sheet metal.

Including gas to go pick it up, I got it for $457. Cheap enough for me to take a chance on, I can always part it out and break even. After getting it home, I tried to diagnose why it wouldn't run. Checked for spark first, and nothing at the coil. The duraspark box is a blue grommet, so I pulled the one off my 88 Ranger, and swapped that in. Spark! Poured a little gas down the carb, and it fired right up.

After that, I had to figure out why I wasn't getting fuel. The wiring on this truck is a mess. Lots of home-done fixes that definitely aren't done well. Front tank pump looked hardwired in. Was listening to the front fuel pump while the key was on, and it didn't hum loud, but it was humming. Flipped the tank selector switch from rear to front, and it started humming more like i'd expect. Tried starting the truck again, and it fired right up, drove it off the trailer!

so now, i've got a running big block for $457 and an old part off my ranger. Perfect for a drivetrain swap into something else. So right now, I'm trying to find an 80-86 single cab shortbed, or single cab stepside, to swap everything over into for a weekend cruiser. While everything is out, I'll probably reseal the trans and tcase, as well as replace a few things on the engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Welcome, and good deal! 'Ya can't beat that with a stick! Who said being a mechanic wouldn't pay off! lol
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Welcome, and good deal! 'Ya can't beat that with a stick! Who said being a mechanic wouldn't pay off! lol
Rob
I'm glad that I'm not a mechanic. lol. I'd had that. I just got lucky it was a simple fix. Anything more complicated than that, and I probably would have given up. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in