A75 rods $101 shipped - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A75 rods $101 shipped

I just grabbed a set, thought others here might be interested. Fleabay item # 130472766765. 2 sets left.

Edit: Should this go in the Auction Block? Have the Mods considered a "hot deals" section?

Please move if appropriate.

92 F350 CrewCab 4x4, 460 and an E4OD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Administrator

It is fine here.... You are just passing on the word.

That isn't a bad idea though. Thanks

Cale Aronson - Administrator
Black Magic Clutchs - Aronson Motorsports
Shelby Performance Mountain Motor Pro Stock Mustang
Shop - 660-646-4553 - Cell - 816-390-0852 - Email - [email protected]
WWW.BLACKMAGICCLUTCHES.COM - WWW.GOFASTQUICK.COM

Jon Kaase Racing Engines - Ford Racing Parts - RAM Clutches - Browell - Trick Titanium - Bohr Racing - PEM Gears - Orme Brothers - Penske Racing Shocks - Innovators West - DJ Safety
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Just a heads up, I got the rods. They look like factory seconds, most of them have some sort of minor flaw. A couple had vice marks in the beam, a couple had the small end slightly off-center in the casting. Weights were within 5 grams across the set. I'm probably being too picky for my towing motor build, but I sent them back for a refund.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
did you get what you paid for?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
Talking

Plus shipping?!!!

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-n-sloow View Post
Just a heads up, I got the rods. They look like factory seconds, most of them have some sort of minor flaw. A couple had vice marks in the beam, a couple had the small end slightly off-center in the casting. Weights were within 5 grams across the set. I'm probably being too picky for my towing motor build, but I sent them back for a refund.
For a $101.00 shipped...?
Resizing a set of rods you would already have should cost around $88.00 so, considering you're actually getting a rod and not just the labor, I would say that was a good deal.

However, in this day and age where houses are selling for the price of a garage, I can see how that "mind set" would overcome sensibility.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

Last edited by rmcomprandy; 01-25-2011 at 10:26 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Cool

Quote:
So what if there were a few vice marks on them. (Smooth 'em out if it will make you feel better, but it's not mandatory for your towing build.) Offset pin bores? OEM rods have pin bores all over the place relative to the pin end, these are mass production components. (And they are forged rods, not cast.) +/- 5 grams is pretty damn good for a set of OEM rods, wow.

At just $10 per rod, you can't go wrong. This still is a deal-of-the-century bargain in my opinion...especially when you consider the cost or prepping a set of used OEM rods. And the late model truck rods (F3TE & F6TE) are the best OEM Ford 460 rods ever produced; they are far superior than the earlier CJ rods or D6VE truck rods because they have more material around the pin-end and the big-end.

If you want to buy a set of brand new rods for a measely $81.99, then these are the best $81.99 rods I've ever seen.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family

Last edited by Paul Kane; 01-25-2011 at 11:58 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

I readily admitted to being overly picky, my OCD kicks in sometimes... I realize that these rods are a great deal, that's why I started this thread. I just wanted anyone who saw this to understand exactly what they are getting. And the vice marks (my biggest concern) were not just surface marring, at one spot the web was dented about 20% of it's total depth, right where the straight section of the beam starts to curve toward the big end. Would they live in my current build? Sure. But I've got plans for this shortblock in the future that will have it putting out 450-550 hp and Id have a hard time with knowing I had a stress riser at the exact place stockrods seem to break.

Just watching out for you guys.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

I've said this a lot of times before and it somewhat applies here too ... I want to get a new Lincoln however, I have the money for a used Focus; my wishes ain't never gonna happen...!

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

I expect to spend much more than the eBay rods cost. Doesn't bother me a bit. The only reason I started this thread, then updated it, was to share a good deal with the community here that has helped me. The price I found was really good, and probably still is, even with the flaws. Just wanted folks to have all the info before buying. I decided that for me, these were not what I wanted to use.

A "hot deals" section is pretty common on a lot of boards. What I tried to do here is exactly what happens on many other boards, the reaction here surprised me though.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
I expect to spend much more than the eBay rods cost. Doesn't bother me a bit. The only reason I started this thread, then updated it, was to share a good deal with the community here that has helped me. The price I found was really good, and probably still is, even with the flaws. Just wanted folks to have all the info before buying. I decided that for me, these were not what I wanted to use.

A "hot deals" section is pretty common on a lot of boards. What I tried to do here is exactly what happens on many other boards, the reaction here surprised me though.
I don't see why the reaction should surprised you . you are looking for low cost , reason you bought them . then not happy with the quality . you want that Lincoln (rods) pay the Lincoln price
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
I don't see why the reaction should surprised you . you are looking for low cost , reason you bought them . then not happy with the quality . you want that Lincoln (rods) pay the Lincoln price
Just like I said in the post you quoted "I expect to spend much more than the eBay rods cost. Doesn't bother me a bit." I'm not being a cheapa$$, I was simply trying to share a good deal, and let everyone know what to expect if they buy a set of rods from that vendor.

If I keep or return my set is irrelevant, if it looks like a good deal to anybody, and they know what they'll be getting, then by all means buy em and be happy. The vendor still has 5 sets..

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
most of them have some sort of minor flaw. A couple had vice marks in the beam, a couple had the small end slightly off-center in the casting. Weights were within 5 grams across the set.
Yup, those are factory rods alright. Don't know what you were expecting, but every set of 429/460 rods I've pulled out of a core has fit this description.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
Yup, those are factory rods alright. Don't know what you were expecting, but every set of 429/460 rods I've pulled out of a core has fit this description.

Cool, here they are in case anyone wants to grab a set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-4...Q5fAccessories

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Cool

Just want to add that I was not trying to come across as condescending in my earlier post. I was only trying to offer some insight and perspective.

To elaborate on my earlier post about the rod differences and why I feel that these rods have some features that are better than the CJ/Truck rods:

The late F250 truck rods were the F6TE-BA rods. I think that there is also an F3TE rod.

In layman's terms, we refer to the late F250 truck rods as the "Double-Dimple" rods because of their two forging spots formed in the beam area (all the other OEM 429/460 light use engines have single dimples in the beam area).

One way to identify double-dimple rods is by their F6TE-BA (and F3TE?) forging number. Another is that the balance pad on the top of the pin bore instead of the side of the pin bore like the typical passenger car rods and D6VE truck rods. These rods are F6TE connecting rod forgings and came in the very last of the 460's, and were sold as -A75 rods through Ford Racing. I think a bushed version (bushed to 0.990" pin) is what the 514's originally came with before going to an H-beam rod.

About 7 years ago, me and Charlie Evans laid these two types of rods side-by-side for a comparison. Here are the physical differences:

Above picture: The typical CJ rod is on the left while the late-model "double dimple" truck rod is on the right (see the two dimples just below the "8" written on the rod). The connecting rod mass is written on each respective rod. Note that the late model F250 rod is heavier by about 35 grams.

Above picture: Note the additional material around the pin end. These double-dimple rods have been bushed and floated, so don't forget to take the bronze material into account as additional thickness around the pin. Also notice how the I-beams come together beneath the pin boss on the Double-Dimple rods.

Above picture: Note the additional material around the big end, especially the rod cap.

Obviously, the additional material at both ends plays a big part in the increased mass of these connecting rods.

But are they stronger? Well, since the OEM rods seem to break mid-beam, I asked Charlie for pair of micrometers, and he went ahead and measured the mid-beam rod thickness, and we found these two different rod forgings to be within 0.010" thickness of each other at the mid beam. Since that's where most OEM Ford rods break, they may not necessarily be any "stronger" in that area than the usual passenger car/CJ rods....however:
  • They are not 30-year old "cycled-a-million-times" rods but are newer than the CJ rods. I think that stands for something (although this is not as noteworthy with steel as it is with aluminum)
  • They are meatier in the big end which minimizes distortion...less likely to pinch a bearing/grab a journal. I think that stands for something.
  • They are meatier in the pin end which makes them less likely to allow a piston pin to drift into a bore. I think that stands for something.
So, new rods of the latest OEM design with brand new rod bolts, just $81.99 + ship. Not a bad deal if they suit your build's needs.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in