flat bottom boat question - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

flat bottom boat question

Im looking into building an old style ski/drag boat. I was wondering if anyone on here had any knowledge of this kind of stuff. Ive been dling a lot of reading lately and research on the matter. Just wanted to talk to someone who had some experience with these style boats.thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i am scratching my head about wooden boats too. alum and glass just don't handle the same. I really want a planked dory skiff but a regular skiff will be the first one.
...some of the kits or scratch built use thin plywood as a core then glass the inside and out. seems to me the wood is then just a mold not a true wooden boat.
... a company called Chesapeake boats has lot of kits and or plans. if you find any thing neat please post it up, bobn
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM
RJP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman95 View Post
Im looking into building an old style ski/drag boat. I was wondering if anyone on here had any knowledge of this kind of stuff. Ive been dling a lot of reading lately and research on the matter. Just wanted to talk to someone who had some experience with these style boats.thanks.
I have a little knowledge of v-drive flats. Been a v-drive owner for about 40 years. What can I help you with?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I am really interested in building something similar.
http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weble...o-miller1.html

I am thinking of going with a small block Chevy and using a power glide trans. Do you know much about the mechanics of the v drive unit? If I ran it a 1:1 would the boat run decent? I was wondering if I could build my own v drive unit using a transfer case.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 PM
RJP

Quote:
I am really interested in building something similar.
http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weble...o-miller1.html

I am thinking of going with a small block Chevy and using a power glide trans. Do you know much about the mechanics of the v drive unit? If I ran it a 1:1 would the boat run decent? I was wondering if I could build my own v drive unit using a transfer case.
It would help alot to know what you want from the boat. Do you just want to ski with it, lake racer, drag race, etc. IMO there are too many good deals on v-drives from turn-key deals to boats-less engines to empty hulls out there that it seems reduntant to build a hull from a pile of wood and when you are done you have a wood hulled boat that has little resale value. I think starting with a 70s-80s Sanger, Hondo, Biesemeyer, Howard, Cole or even a 60s-early 70s true flat such as a Aquacraft, Hallet, Sanger, Hondo, LaveyCraft, etc you would be way ahead money and time wise. Re: trans, Powerglide...That is a big NO!....not in a low profile flat, that is the quickest way to sink/swamp a boat without even trying. [Think about it, the angle of the propshaft, be it 7-8 or 9 deg in reverse will pull the back of the hull down] Re: V-drive....That also would be a monumental waste of time considering there are top loaders and split case Casales and Menkens v-drive gearboxes available for a whole lot less than you could convert a transfer case to work as a v-drive gearbox. Then you need to figure a way to mount a transfer case in the hull to take the full thrust of the prop and shaft when you accellerate. [A transfer case has no facility to handle this thrust and would trash the gearbox in very short order.] V-drive mounting is a exacting science into itself as the input and output shafts are turning 5-6000 rpms or more and it has to be aligned dead nutts perfect in order to avoid vibration, shaft and bearing damage. A transfer case does not have the mounting to make this practical. Another thing about trying to adapt a transfer case is there are no overdrive gears available. A 1 to 1 ratio that you would be stuck with would be...[to be blunt] a turd unless you have access to a prop shop that could sell you a 11.25" or 11.5" X 17.5" two blade steel prop. And yes you will need a steel prop for any shaft speed over 4500-5K. RE: SBC? Uhhhh...Really? This is a Ford site, I cannot in good conscious condone the use of any Chevy...Sorry but thats just my nature. I would run a Y-block 292 before I could bring myself to use a Brand X.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Unless you're dead set on getting a v-drive I'd suggest a jet as an alternative. In all reality they run just as fast for what you intend and are lighter and have fewer parts and pieces to break.....not to mention humungus rooster tails! lol You should be able to pick up a boat and trailer minus an engine for less than $3K. And oh, BTW, these BBFs make kick arse jet boat motors.....
View My Video
View My Video
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska

Last edited by White Lightning; 09-30-2013 at 03:46 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Cool

Quote:
1) The true v-drive flat bottom hot boats are handful to drive and you have to be a real man to shoe one. If you don't understand the lever/fulcrum theory in which they are supposed to be operated prepare to be spit out a few times.
2) They are very expensive to build and will cost more than building the typical car.
3) Once the boat is completed it will be worth about half what you have into it.
4) If you are really into these boats then point 3 above is moot and you will feel it's worth every penny not to mention the satisfaction of building it yourself.

RJP is absolutely correct that a lot of money can be saved by finding a proven boat that is already completed. Further, it is a wiser move if you don't know a lot about v-drive boats and--with the right purchase--will make for a softer learning curve in both set up and operation. I purchased a World Finals championship v-drive drag hydro, less engine, and will someday plug into it the 385 Series I purchased specifically for this project. Point is I saved a lot of cash by not picking up a hull of unknown capability and trying to get it together and then make it work on the water.

Trust RJP, he's a walking FoMoCo encyclopedia, has been boating for more decades than most people have lived, and currently owns quite a few beautiful, classic v-drives that are all Ford powered.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM
RJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
1) The true v-drive flat bottom hot boats are handful to drive and you have to be a real man to shoe one. If you don't understand the lever/fulcrum theory in which they are supposed to be operated prepare to be spit out a few times.
2) They are very expensive to build and will cost more than building the typical car.
3) Once the boat is completed it will be worth about half what you have into it.
4) If you are really into these boats then point 3 above is moot and you will feel it's worth every penny not to mention the satisfaction of building it yourself.

RJP is absolutely correct that a lot of money can be saved by finding a proven boat that is already completed. Further, it is a wiser move if you don't know a lot about v-drive boats and--with the right purchase--will make for a softer learning curve in both set up and operation. I purchased a World Finals championship v-drive drag hydro, less engine, and will someday plug into it the 385 Series I purchased specifically for this project. Point is I saved a lot of cash by not picking up a hull of unknown capability and trying to get it together and then make it work on the water.

Trust RJP, he's a walking FoMoCo encyclopedia, has been boating for more decades than most people have lived, and currently owns quite a few beautiful, classic v-drives that are all Ford powered.
Paul
Hi Paul....Guess the O/P tossed in the towel. I didn't mean to do that, just gave an honest opinion and try to save him from a heap-load of grief.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys my phone broke and I haven't been able to get back.
I have been looking into finding a hull that is short a motor. These boats are either hard to find or I just dont kbow where to look. I found one in Nashville area that is set up for a bbc. I by heart am a BBF guy all the way but I dont mind the idea of a bbc if everything is there and ready. Every dumb redneck nascar fan has at least 10 of these sitting in their garage Ill just have to put a mullet wig on and play along.

I understand these boats are way different and difficult but thats what intrigues me. I love the old nostalgia look and the fact that ive actually never seen one on the water. I have built a couple of drag cars so I definitely understand the amount of money and time in and no money return. But I like the idea of building my own or at least finishing a project. I just need the avenue to find one within reasonable distance of southern indiana.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM
RJP

Quote:
Sorry guys my phone broke and I haven't been able to get back.
I have been looking into finding a hull that is short a motor. These boats are either hard to find or I just dont kbow where to look. I found one in Nashville area that is set up for a bbc. I by heart am a BBF guy all the way but I dont mind the idea of a bbc if everything is there and ready. Every dumb redneck nascar fan has at least 10 of these sitting in their garage Ill just have to put a mullet wig on and play along.

I understand these boats are way different and difficult but thats what intrigues me. I love the old nostalgia look and the fact that ive actually never seen one on the water. I have built a couple of drag cars so I definitely understand the amount of money and time in and no money return. But I like the idea of building my own or at least finishing a project. I just need the avenue to find one within reasonable distance of southern indiana.
Glad you didn't go away and I didn't mean to piss in your Wheaties. I understand doing things yourself, hell thats what it's all about, isn't it? But there is a limit to DYI and with all the available hulls, boats-less engines and turn key boats that are out there looking for new owners is staggering. You may need to travel to buy a project boat as most of the flats are here on the west coast but thats not to say you need to do a 2K mile road trip to find one. Check the internet for boats for sale, Google is your friend. Paul is correct when he said to find a boat that has been properly set up IE: V-drive, cavatation plate, steering, trailer, seating, etc. It will save you a boat-load of grief. Building from scratch [pile of wood] you would be into this for alot more money than you can imagine. A new Casale split case V-drive is, last time I checked is app. $3300.00 with raw centerplate and that does not include mounting, struts and couplings, add another $6-800 for that. Add a prop shaft, even a 303 S/S will be in the $250-350 range. If you want the K-monel/Aquamet shaft double that figure. Oh, yeah, a Whirl-Away, $600.00 in the box, you install. Props: a typical 2 blade steel prop new is $750-1000. They can be found used for app. $2-300. [buyer beware] Underwater gear: steel prop strut and hull shaft log, more dollars. Lets not forget steering, pulleys, tensioner, cable, shaft, rudder and the supporting misc hardware, even more dollars. Then there is the matter of a trailer. They can be easy to find or they can be impossible to find...When you need one they are non-existent and when you don't need one they seem to grow on trees. Some guys build a dolly trailer for use in a enclosed trailer and often they will sell their road trailer...A nice one will fetch $2K This is just a rough overview of what you would be up against starting from the ground up. There is the matter of the small parts that are no longer made or have never been made and it would be up to you to fabricate these parts. Again, it would help to know what you would like and expect from this boat. Just a lake cruiser for water skiing and taking the kids tubing or a lake/river hotrod that will give you a thrill or something to dragrace? With that I can get a better idea on how to point you in the right direction.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Honestly I just really like the look of them. Not looking for something to put people on and ski. More just a boat the wife and I can cruise around on or a buddy and I can goof off on. Im not looking to go 80-100mph just looking for a fun drag style boat. I love the old drag boats.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM
RJP

Quote:
Honestly I just really like the look of them. Not looking for something to put people on and ski. More just a boat the wife and I can cruise around on or a buddy and I can goof off on. Im not looking to go 80-100mph just looking for a fun drag style boat. I love the old drag boats.
LOL...."not looking to go 80-100mph" Yeah...right! I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that. Once you get a taste of speed esp. in a flat you'll want more, guaranteed. It's a drug [legal of course] one cannot get enough of. A well set up flat with foot operated cavatation plate, a decent engine and some calm water you will be hooked. Another tidbit of info...make sure the wife is on board 100% If she isn't she'll learn to hate the boat, hate you and hate life in general for the time & money spent and will compound the issues if she isn't into speed and the feeling of no control. BTW, My wife is terrified of speed and will not ride in my boats if I want to play but she supports my boat and car habits 100% as I had the boats/cars long before she came along as it was part of the package...Kinda like step children.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 PM

A boat is like a drag car with one exception with a boat you throw money into the hole it creates in the water

521 Powered 66 Fairlane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in