2012 Gas F-250 XLT Crew Cab - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)

2012 Gas F-250 XLT Crew Cab

Well I got stupid yesterday. I sold my very cherry 2003 Corvette with 32,000 miles on it. The good new is I bougt a new (new to me) 2012 Ford F-250 XLT crew cab gas 4x4. I had a thread in this section for my older 1999 F250 regular cab that I picked up for a song so I thought I would start a tread for this new truck to report how it does over the long haul. I plan on keeping this one for a LONG time because... Well it was expensive.

Now that my Mustang is almost done I wanted something that I could tow it with and still be able to bring the family along. My other truck was great and ran even better but it was a regular cab and I was limited on how many people I could carry. This summer when we went to Minnesota and I pulled a boat we took two cars because the truck just didn't have the capacity to haul all the people comfortably on a 15 hour ++ trip. That will not be a problem now.

The truck is a 2012 as I stated earlier. It had 29,737 miles on it when I got it. It still has the remainder of the factory warranty and that is 36 months/36,000 miles bumper to bumper. It also has a 60 month/60,000 mile power train warranty so I'm thinking that I was safe buying a used car because of the remaining factory warranty's. The truck itself was a returned lease vehicle and is in immaculate condition. When new it was $41,430. I paid $29,988. I had been looking for a while and this seemed to be a very good deal. Kelly Blue Book value came in at $33,500. I know the diesels have double the torque but I could not justify the extra 10,000 to buy a used one with WAY more miles on it. This will not be a daily driver. It will be used as a spare car and probably won't see more than 5000 miles a year. It will be garage kept and should last a good long time. The gas motor seems very healthy. It has WAY more power than my 1999 5.4 F250 and it has a great sounding motor.

Mods: Right now it is bone stock. The only things that I plan to do to this truck are put on a K&N air filter assembley and maybe buy a tuner for it. I don't want the tuner for more power although that will be a byproduct. I want the tuner to see if I can get better gas mileage. For the 80 mile trip home the truck averaged 17.1 mpg. That was all highway driving. No city at all except for getting on I-65 after filling up and then getting back off to go to my house. I thought that was pretty good right off the bat. After all the truck is a LAND YACHT! Very big and very heavy. I LOVE IT!!

If anybody has any input on what tuner to buy please let me know. I'll wait to do a little research on them before I just run out and buy one. I am going to order the K&N filter kit today however.

Here she is at her first feeding. Boy was that expensive!!

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 09-21-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thats a nice Truck, the only way it would look any better is in my driveway! LOL! what size is the engine? I have not looked at any new Trucks in a long time so I don't know engine options.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks Butter!

It is nice. I love it. Below are the engine spec's. It is beefy for a gas motor. The diesel blows it away though. The diesel is 400 HP with 860 lb/ft of torque @ 1600 RPM. That's just nuts...

Gas Motor Spec's (Copied and pasted from Cars.com)
Engine liters 6.2 Cy V-8
Horsepower 385-hp @ 5,500 rpm
Torque 405 lbs.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm
# of valves 16 Variable valve control
Standard Sequential MPI
Recommended fuel regular unleaded
Aluminum cylinder head
Ignition type electronic
Engine orientation longitudinal
Fuel tank capacity 35.0 gal.

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 09-21-2014 at 07:54 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'll tell you what. This truck really has some balls. I had to thump it to merge onto I-64 today and I was VERY suprised at how quick it is for a big a$$ truck. The 6.2 liter motor can really make it move down the highway. I know it isn't a diesel but hey... This gas motor is not bad at all. And it has a great sound to it. You can tell there are some ponies under the hood. I'm LOVING it so far. This truck is light years ahead of my 1999 F250 and gets better mileage. I miss my Corvette but I'd do it again. No regrets.

More Pic's Added 9/21/2014

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 09-21-2014 at 07:57 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

very little issues with the 6.2L compared to the 6.7L diesel. ive owned 2 of the 6.2L. 2013 f150 fx4 and now a 13 raptor. great engine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by torino501 View Post
very little issues with the 6.2L compared to the 6.7L diesel. ive owned 2 of the 6.2L. 2013 f150 fx4 and now a 13 raptor. great engine.
I bet that Raptor is incredible to drive. I've seen them around a few times. I bet it is a beast! Post a pic if you can. I'd love to see it. That is a VERY SWEET ride! Good call!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
I bet that Raptor is incredible to drive. I've seen them around a few times. I bet it is a beast! Post a pic if you can. I'd love to see it. That is a VERY SWEET ride! Good call!
At work the production manger on the raw side has a Black Raptor. He has had it about 3 years he stop at the maintenance shop to look at my Ranger yesterday. We was talking I told him all I need is his truck to pull it with he just laughed at that. He said it would pull it with no problem it pulls just as good as my F250 with the 6.0 in it. He said so far he has no trouble out of it but has had to work on the 6.0 before he had the needed mods done to it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I did a brief amount of reading but really could not find the answer.

Is this 6.2 motor of the same family as the 5.4 & 4.6 but with more stroke and/or bigger bore? Just curious. With as beefy as the thing is I'm kind of surprised they aren't turning up in hot rods across the country. Or maybe they are but I'm just not looking in the right places.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)

The truck is just the way I would have ordered it.Can't believe you found a 4 door with an 8 ft box....you don't see too many on the lots.It's your call but I would stay away from the K&N deal.Their performance claims just aren't true by my past experience.The filter media doesn't cut it compared to the OEM filter,and they are noticably louder going down the road pulling a load.

The previously owned diesel...they all seem to be hi mileage and worked to death like you said.The low easy mile trucks don't exist.Wouldn't touch one without complete service records from day one.
Ford + Cummins...it could happen,someday,maybe
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermod View Post
The truck is just the way I would have ordered it.Can't believe you found a 4 door with an 8 ft box....you don't see too many on the lots.It's your call but I would stay away from the K&N deal.Their performance claims just aren't true by my past experience.The filter media doesn't cut it compared to the OEM filter,and they are noticably louder going down the road pulling a load.

The previously owned diesel...they all seem to be hi mileage and worked to death like you said.The low easy mile trucks don't exist.Wouldn't touch one without complete service records from day one.
Ford + Cummins...it could happen,someday,maybe
Hey I appreciate that. I did decide to hold off on the K&N just because I didn't want to inadvertently screw up the remainder of my warranty. The last K&N I put on my old F250 was definitely louder when you pressed on the gas. I never put it on for the power though and I never really compared that. I just did it for the mileage increase. It seemed that I got around 1 mpg better mileage but I'm not really sure that is worth it in the long run since I had to pay $239 for it. The kit for this truck is over $300 if I recall correctly. I'll wait...

I specifically looked for the 8ft bed. It was HARD to find. But I saw no reason not to get one because the thing already gets terrible mileage and I wanted the most utility out of the truck since I was buying one.

EDIT: The only bad part about the long bed is it makes it that much harder to park at the grocery store. You aren't just going to swing into that one spot near the front of the building. Not unless the adjacent parking isle is 50 feet away. Also today I went to Wendy's for lunch. The drive through had a curb to the right of the vehicle and kept you in close to the building as it curved around the corner. I took one look at that, parked in the back of the lot and then had to go inside to order instead. Keep in mind I used to drive 80,000 pound 18 wheeler's for a living so something the size of this F250 is easy peasy. But as Clint once said "A man has got to know his limitations". ...the truck & wheels remain unscratched.

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 09-24-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

ARE Topper

I had a brand new (OUCH!) ARE topper put on today. Complete with side window dog screens, gray carpeted roof and twin LED inside lighting strips. This truck just keeps getting better and better. I loved the Corvette but this truck is fantastic! I love driving it. Too bad it gets crappy mileage.

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 09-26-2014 at 06:52 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Snow Snow Go Away!!

Everybody needs one of these when their city is getting 8 to 12 (more) inches of snow. It can't be stopped!!
6:30 p.m. on 3-4-2015
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Now has 54,xxx on the odometer and continues to do very well however....

I had the belt tensioner go out at 52,000 miles. The motor was making a heck of a whining noise. I thought it was the power steering system but was wrong. Ford diagnosed and replaced the tensioner under warranty so I can't really complain. I'd buy the truck again in a heart beat. It has been fantastic.

Anybody else have any problems with belt tensioners on these things?

Send Questions To: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in