NHRA threatens to ban "Street Outlaws" - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
NHRA threatens to ban "Street Outlaws"

Anyone else see this?

"NHRA Sends Letters Announcing License Revocation To Street Outlaws TV Cast Competition Licenses To Be Revoked If Participation Continues"

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/n...ion-continues/

Full letter shown below.

While I might agree with the NHRA that the show is bad for the sport as a whole, they're totally overstepping their bounds, and this sort of authoritarian response, acting as if they OWN the sport is ridiculous. They need to see the writing on the wall, and bring out some new classes, maybe ease up on the rules a bit for the sportsman classes. Their actions are as much to blame for people turning to the street to race as anything else.

The NHRA has needed a shake up for a long time now, and maybe this is it. Maybe people will quit renewing their memberships, and/or quit watching. 2 million viewers tune in for Street Outlaws every week.....how many people tune in for an NHRA event?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pierce.jpg (75.0 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 03-07-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well spoken Cars by Carl , seems they cater to rails and funny cars. Not the sportsman racer. Me personally I like to watch door slammers. Top fuel and funny cars are kinda boring to watch for me. Same guys win every year. They need to look at the bigger picture. Drag racing was dying till the shows come about. Pinks, pass time , street outlaws . Bring interest back, or at least in my part of the country . Every one and there dog around here are building a car or truck to race. Seen where pinks may be back in summer. We are slowly loosing all the rights this country was founded on . Theres really not much freedom any more , just rules and regulations.

55 ford pu 472 ported doves, lunati solid cam, c6 3000 stall 3.89 gear.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it just a tv show but it brings younger,new people into a dying sport.me i love the show like pro-wrestling,i got guys i work with that have never seen a drag race now interested in the sport.beats monday night football by a mile

70 cyclone spoiler 429scj 70 mach 1 mustang 638 cu. in. nmra oc 9201 2010 z-max open comp runner up

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

LMAO!!

There CONTRACTED to make a TV SHOW!!!!
So the cast of all "The Fast 4,5,6,7" movie{s} are street racing,running from the cops in their "race" cars and etc.......but that's ok? They getting a "letter" too?

Maybe the Olympic committee should ban WWE for making REAL wrestling look bad??
lol

Get a grip and quit crying over NOTHING.

ITS TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
NHRA had to turn off public posting from their Facebook page because people were letting them have it, now people are lighting up the comments on their posts. People are attacking NHRA sponsors too. What were they thinking?

https://www.facebook.com/NHRA

post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Big Brother NHRA is watching you all, look out. Okay, it is a TV show, and nothing more than that, entertainment. Only thing I sort of agree with is the NHRA stickers on the car, but heck anyone can purchase most of those stickers. Probably what NHRA is upset about relates to they are not making any money off of the event. Please don't get me wrong, not looking to promote illegal street racing in any form, but also getting tired of organizations that can't even police themselves, trying to govern others.

Clayton Parks

2014 Ford Explorer 4x4
2014 CanAm Maverick Max 4x4
2012 Ford F150 Raptor 4x4 supercharged 6.2l
1960 Ford F250 4x4 project 521
1957 Ford Ranchero 4x4 project 428
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

plus, its very expensive to race a doorslammer in the NHRA. I would flick them the bird and go NMCA from the gate anyhow. As previously stated, the NHRA isn't interested in Sportsman class. the "illegal" aspect of the show is suspect. Im sure the road is closed off with an ambulance and cops on site. Personally id rather hit a wall than a curb. Why don't they settle it on the track Chicago Wise Guys style?
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

These guys on street outlaws in my opinion probly used to be real street racers, I'm sure ones like the farm truck won a lot of unsuspecting people's money. Now they are way too famous to do any short of thing. No way it actually on a open public road now with like 10 full drag cars trailers drivers their buddies and a full camera crew. I love the outlaw rules idea of it all back to roots stuff. But my guess is the NHRA isn't wanting drag racing to be represented by those guys acting like they race in the street. And the money loss I'd say has a part in it. Personally it's more entertaining to me than a NHRA event on tv. But that's just one man opinion. It's kinda like the local very loose rules here in truck pulling. Promotes creative engines.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
plus, its very expensive to race a doorslammer in the NHRA. I would flick them the bird and go NMCA from the gate anyhow. As previously stated, the NHRA isn't interested in Sportsman class. the "illegal" aspect of the show is suspect. Im sure the road is closed off with an ambulance and cops on site. Personally id rather hit a wall than a curb. Why don't they settle it on the track Chicago Wise Guys style?

Another vgood post. Dragsters and Funny cars are boring to me. Super stockers to Pro stockers is where it's at as far as I am concerned. The media enhanced "drama" the show features is getting worse and worse. Johnny Law HAS to know what is going on. Do they really think people actually believe they are evading the police...with their entourage ?!!
I'll still watch it though.

'64 Galaxie 500 XL 499/C6, '06 Mustang GT
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I like watching NHRA. Fuel cars are kick *** and I dig watching prostock.

The NHRA doesn't need to overdub fake engine noises and tire squeals. lmao

Besides, I can see cocky trash talkin' douche bags all day long at my local track. Why would I want to watch more of them on tv?

While the racing on the SO show is widely known to be done in a controlled enviroment, the premise of the show is illegal street racing. Shockingly, people copycat what they see. This behavior does our hobby no favors with those that would like us all to drive Toyota Prius's. This is the bigger picture that all the flapping yaps on the internet seem to ignore.

http://www.hotrod.com/news/nhra-resp...utlaws-letter/

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockRanger View Post
I like watching NHRA. Fuel cars are kick *** and I dig watching prostock.

The NHRA doesn't need to overdub fake engine noises and tire squeals. lmao

Besides, I can see cocky trash talkin' douche bags all day long at my local track. Why would I want to watch more of them on tv?

While the racing on the SO show is widely known to be done in a controlled enviroment, the premise of the show is illegal street racing. Shockingly, people copycat what they see. This behavior does our hobby no favors with those that would like us all to drive Toyota Prius's. This is the bigger picture that all the flapping yaps on the internet seem to ignore.

http://www.hotrod.com/news/nhra-resp...utlaws-letter/
I couldn't agree more. Any show on the idiot box that promotes the 'premise' of illegal street racing is just simply callous and is showing NO responsibility for their actions for teaching impressionable minds that its simply OK to ignore the safety of them selves and any innocent people and property around them IMO.
Good, bad or indifferent, that's why the sanctioning bodies were formed in the first place.
Wally Parks and others took a hobby off the streets where people were getting hurt and killed and placed it in the publics mind as an acceptable sport where it was allowed to grow into what it is today, a controlled environment where safety is the prime objective.
What little that I've watched this drama mongering show promotes lack of concern for safety and focuses on trash talk and selling sponsors products. Period.
'Reality TV'. It's anything but real. And it is self serving.

As far as the IHRA is concerned, it's their sanctioning body and they can run it any way that they see fit. If participants don't like the way that it's run, it's a free country, go find another sanctioning body to run under.
Personally, I can agree with them not allowing them to be licensed to run on their tracks. You can't be licensed to run on any track without first having enough brains and experience to get a regular drivers license first any way. That also takes into account the people that don't have the moral responsibility to not drink and drive and loose their driving privileges for the street.

In part, IMO, it's a window on societies current consensus to not have to be responsible for it's actions.

I'll get off of my soap box now.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
In part, IMO, it's a window on societies current consensus to not have to be responsible for it's actions.
Says who? I do watch the show, and there's been a lot of talk about being responsible for their actions. They also take a lot of precautions in finding remote areas, and testing in remote areas where the public at large won't be put at risk. Yes, it's all a TV production and done on closed roads etc, but they're at least setting a good example for people who are going to go out and run on the streets....no matter if it's because they don't have a track nearby, or because NHRA has grown too big for it's britches.

My main issue with the NHRA's actions here is that they're sticking their nose into people's private business outside of their sanctioned events. Conduct unbecoming? Are they joking?!?! Having an NHRA competition license is NOT the same as being an employee of the NFL, etc.

The NHRA won't be getting a dime of my money if I can help it, and I'm happy to race under a more sportsman friendly organization.
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:30 PM

Their private business becomes NHRA's business when your comp # or NHRA identifying info is broadcast to a couple of million homes a week.

They basically drew a line in the sand and said hey you are either with us or against us, but you can't have it both ways, so make your choice.

'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockRanger View Post
Their private business becomes NHRA's business when your comp # or NHRA identifying info is broadcast to a couple of million homes a week.

They basically drew a line in the sand and said hey you are either with us or against us, but you can't have it both ways, so make your choice.
Competition number? Who cares? That number doesn't mean anything to anyone who isn't active in their sanctioning body.

As for an NHRA sticker on the car....maybe they have a point there, but a proper course of action would be to send a cease and desist letter to the company producing the TV show. And this isn't about stickers....they threatened to suspend anyone participating in the show, period, no mention of it only being those displaying the sticker or competition number. And what about all the companies who are paying the racers to promote their products by wearing their T-shirts, etc? The tracks paying Street Outlaw guys to show up, so they draw a bigger crowd? Is the NHRA going to stop taking their money and ban them from drag racing too? They don't own the sport, and they've completely overstepped their bounds with this action.

And if you notice the first sentence of the rule they sight in their letter says "Participants at (NHRA) events are expected......blah,blah,blah". Street Outlaws isn't an NHRA event, so those rules don't apply. If they did suspend somebody's license, and that person wanted to challenge them in court, NHRA wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 02-19-2015 at 02:06 PM.
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 PM

They make the rules, they enforce the rules and the interpret the rules. It's totally their call to make. Besides, they have the power to amend the rules anytime they want to, so any sort of lawsuit would be ridiculous. All they would have to do is revise the rule book, and send out new letters afterward.

My, your or anyone else's interpretation of that rule is a moot point.

It is what it is

'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in