SPECIAL THANKS to 460ford members! That ole Lincoln Mark V... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thumbs up SPECIAL THANKS to 460ford members! That ole Lincoln Mark V...

Early this year I purchased a nearly forgotten Lincoln Mark V. The owner had no sale sign in the window and the last person to approach him wanted to demo derby the car!!!

I told the guy I'd give him $1,000 just to hear it run. Sure enough, with a new battery, it started on the gas that had sat for five years! I couldn't believe how purdy it idled, especially considering the varnish in the carb and the plug wires all eaten by hares.

I replaced everything on the normal to-do list; filters, hoses, wires/plugs, gaskets and fluids. I had to replace the blown-out and rusted exhaust, which was a dual-crossover, with a new dual-crossover from the cat-back and using forum-recommended Magnaflows.

The forum also highly recommended rephasing the camshaft with an aftermarket timing set, then to re-curve the distributor.

With every bit of advice, I unlocked more and more performance from the ole granny hauler until one day it stalled while driving!

From then on it was a constant struggle of trying swapped parts and getting no results. I lost a lot of hair in that process. In the end I found that a cheap EGR-plate-to-manifold gasket had been consumed by the hot gasses. Replacing this with a quality metallic gasket brought the beast back and now cooking tires has never been so easy!

Boy does she start and purr so swell! Driving this fine pleasure yacht is the highlight of my day, no matter the distance, no matter the traffic. I've since put 3,000 trouble-free miles on the car and I can just imagine taking it clear across the country, coast to coast, since the 1,000 mile drive from Wyoming to Texas seemed to pass by surreally.

The members of this forum that chimed in really had a LOT of patience and consideration. They knew when to not push an issue and when something really was the best means to an end. I didn't want to delete the emissions "crap", and nobody took issue with that on this performance-focused site. I wasn't sure which exhaust would give me a mellow tune at any range without performance suffering, and the Magnaflows did exactly what was claimed.

Consider how much I truly love this car and the experiences I'm treated to and know that all thanks goes to these members. Without you, I'd be a very frustrated and misguided dope, throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. Every time I weigh anchor and embark, I remember the guys that really offered a LOT for nothing in return.

rmcomprandy

Mad Porter

DanE

Thanks for hanging in there and making all of this possible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8396.jpg (93.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9317.jpg (87.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9804.jpg (79.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9521.jpg (93.6 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Gorgeous car, I've got a soft spot for those old Lincolns

80 Fairmont wagon, 528, Blue Thunder heads on E-85. Just a brutal street car
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks, it gets lots of love at the pump. In fact I've only met one person that didn't like it and well....his measure of how attractive a vehicle is is exactly relative to its current monetary value. Oh well, can't please the material girls in this world but everybody else thinks it's such a treat

Maybe I'm an idiot for only having impractical vehicles, (four motorcycles and a cruise ship) but I can stomach the 14mpg I'm getting thanks to an incredibly plush ride that NO car of late can offer, and a taste of Pre-Nader sophistication!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

So very happy that you are enjoying the car, and thank you for acknowledging us.

If you decide you want to upgrade your suspension, bring that subject up, and we will go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in