Bikes - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)

Bikes

Well after starting a successful "Guns" thread in this section I thought it might be fun to start another thread. "Bikes".

When I was a lot younger I used to have several bikes both street and dirt (25++ years ago). I have been lusting after several bikes recently and when I saw the new Harley Davidson Roadster come out I really liked the way it looked. I went down to the Harley shop to see if they had one. Ironically enough they were taking one off a delivery truck and it was the first of only 2 they will get this year (probably a sales tactic. I fell for it). I got retarded and bought it on the spot.

What bikes do you guys have? This is the spot to post pic's and ask questions of your fellow Ford brothers about another subject. I know deep down we are all a lot a like. Let's see what you have!!

Web Page Link: 2016 Harley Davidson Roadster

CarsByCarl and Cometman1964 like this.

Send Questions To: [email protected]

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 05-02-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

OH!! One other thing I forgot to mention and guys this is a hot tip for you.

Never surprise your wife with a Harley on "No Apparent Reason Day"

....she will not like it. Ask me how I know!!

CarsByCarl and Cometman1964 like this.

post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Hear my Harley, it's a 2014 sportster. 1250 big bore, Vance and Hines pipes with FP3 tuner, Harley racing clutch. Few other mods nothing crazy. Fun little bike for sure. Those new roadsters are cool. I want a dual disc brake on the front of mine. The stopping power really sucks on mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1462124878257.jpg (15.9 KB, 23 views)
CarsByCarl likes this.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Garage
I only got into motorcycles a couple years ago. Owned two so far. Currently without motorcycle, as I sold my DR350 in January and have committed to staying motorcycle-less for at least a year to focus on other things, but man the bug is biting pretty hard already.

The DR350 was my first bike. Then I bought a Yamaha XS650 that was set up Scrambler style, but sold it in short order after figuring out that I prefer riding dirt way more than pavement. Pretty fixated on an AJP PR4 for the next bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1.jpg (97.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg M2.jpg (37.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg m3.jpg (92.5 KB, 30 views)
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've been riding for over 25 yrs. Started on an '81 KZ750, then on to a ZX11, ZX9, '05 Hayabusa and then finally decided to slow it down with this FXSTC. I didn't think I would like the HD, but they make a really nice riding cruiser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160501_171359_1462137561252.jpg (97.1 KB, 20 views)
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
OH!! One other thing I forgot to mention and guys this is a hot tip for you.

Never surprise your wife with a Harley on "No Apparent Reason Day"

....she will not like it. Ask me how I know!!

I was wondering how you were going to go with the wife.

Iv just been a dirt guy. I could get in enough trouble by myself without introducing cars in the mix, although I did have a few close calls with 4wd's up in the hills.

YZ250. Half heartily converted to a WR by Yamaha, Lighting coils, compliance plate and road registerable.

First of two Jawa speedway bikes. This one is a 2 valve then bought a later model 4 valve. Great fun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedway.jpg (87.7 KB, 5 views)

Kevin
"I'm just going to swap the motor." What the! A rotisserie?

Last edited by xdute; 05-01-2016 at 10:27 PM.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweredLincoln View Post
Hear my Harley, it's a 2014 sportster. 1250 big bore, Vance and Hines pipes with FP3 tuner, Harley racing clutch. Few other mods nothing crazy. Fun little bike for sure. Those new roadsters are cool. I want a dual disc brake on the front of mine. The stopping power really sucks on mine.
That is cool for sure! How did you like the results of the FP3 tuner? Could you tell much of a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
I only got into motorcycles a couple years ago. Owned two so far. Currently without motorcycle, as I sold my DR350 in January and have committed to staying motorcycle-less for at least a year to focus on other things, but man the bug is biting pretty hard already.

The DR350 was my first bike. Then I bought a Yamaha XS650 that was set up Scrambler style, but sold it in short order after figuring out that I prefer riding dirt way more than pavement. Pretty fixated on an AJP PR4 for the next bike.
Carl... You and I are a lot a like. I looked at everything from street/trail bikes to GSX-R's before I settled on the Roadster. I really like the looks of the older bikes the best.

Who the heck makes that AJP? Or is that the brand? I've never heard of it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
I've been riding for over 25 yrs. Started on an '81 KZ750, then on to a ZX11, ZX9, '05 Hayabusa and then finally decided to slow it down with this FXSTC. I didn't think I would like the HD, but they make a really nice riding cruiser.
Hayabusa?? You're a brave man... I have the bank account but not the balls for one of those. I looked at GSX-R's but decided that was probably a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdute View Post
I was wondering how you were going to go with the wife.

Iv just been a dirt guy. I could get in enough trouble by myself without introducing cars in the mix, although I did have a few close calls with 4wd's up in the hills.

YZ250. Half heartily converted to a WR by Yamaha, Lighting coils, compliance plate and road registerable.

First of two Jawa speedway bikes. This one is a 2 valve then bought a later model 4 valve. Great fun.

That dirt track racing sure looks fun! I'd love to give that a try sometime. And I probably do need a dirt bike to. I live out in the middle of nowhere so it would be perfect!

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Who the heck makes that AJP? Or is that the brand? I've never heard of it before.
AJP is the brand. Made in Portugal. Owner of the company and designer of the bikes is a former European enduro champion, so he knows what's needed. The bikes are lightweight, and inexpensive (only $5000). They build their own frames, use high quality brand name suspension parts, and source the engine from China. Not very powerful, but super simple and durable. Makes for a nice trail bike, but not something you want to ride very far on pavement. I only ride pavement to connect trails, so it's perfect for me. They make a more powerful liquid cooled bike, but it's $1200 more, and I like the efficiency, simplicity, and durability of the air cooled better.

2016 PR4 | AJP USA, Enduro, Trail and Dirt Bikes - AJP Motorcycles America

I tried to convince the wife it was a good place to spend the tax return, but you know how that goes. Should have gone with your technique.

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 05-02-2016 at 11:39 AM.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Hayabusa?? You're a brave man... I have the bank account but not the balls for one of those. I looked at GSX-R's but decided that was probably a bad idea.

[/COLOR]
Ironically, it was the ZX9R (900cc) that took the most balls to ride. With a shorter wheelbase and high-strung powerband it didn't take much for the front wheel to go skyward. Sportbikes are a blast to ride, but easy to get into trouble (you've heard about the two types of riders??).

I would love to some day get an old Triumph or BSA. My dad had a slightly customized '68 Bonneville with some engine work done as well. That bike had lots of character.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage
Wife Trouble

Great idea for a thread by the way. And I did buy a bike,(for me), for the wife on her birthday back in 1978. It was a ricer, a 72 zuki 650. She hated my, but I rode it anyway, what a blast! I did get her on it twice, once was around the block, and the other was about 30 miles. Now I must tell you shes affraid of most everthing, but she went. We got into the drive, and stupid me, I decided to pull a wheelie!!! lil one, but she got off, hit me, and said she would never ride again. I was gone for a few hours. Have had bikes since, but today, after my back problems, I no longer ride. Have this sweet Sportster for sale now. 02 1200 XLT Custom. 17k mi. Lots of great parts, well kept. Clear papers. 5k. No Trades. Cash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-03-28 009.jpg (96.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-03-28 010.jpg (92.9 KB, 17 views)
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometman1964 View Post
Great idea for a thread by the way. And I did buy a bike,(for me), for the wife on her birthday back in 1978. It was a ricer, a 72 zuki 650. She hated my, but I rode it anyway, what a blast! I did get her on it twice, once was around the block, and the other was about 30 miles. Now I must tell you shes affraid of most everthing, but she went. We got into the drive, and stupid me, I decided to pull a wheelie!!! lil one, but she got off, hit me, and said she would never ride again. I was gone for a few hours. Have had bikes since, but today, after my back problems, I no longer ride. Have this sweet Sportster for sale now. 02 1200 XLT Custom. 17k mi. Lots of great parts, well kept. Clear papers. 5k. No Trades. Cash.
Nice bike. Too bad you are getting rid of it. My wife hasn't gotten on the back of my bike yet but maybe one day she will. ....maybe.

Looks like a cute little 460 sitting next to the bike also.
Cometman1964 likes this.

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage
Yes, I miss riding. But every little bump in the road makes my back go nuts. Hope to sell soon, it's a very fair price. And yes, thats the 460 block, 484 600hp that is in my 64 Comet now. That's not getting done either. not much help around to get er done. I am going to use the proceeds from the bike to help finish the car, I can still drive...lol
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I rode lots of dirt bikes as a kid and then took a long hiatus. I always wanted a Harley and lots of people around me has them and the father in law had a 47 Indian so I always loved cool bikes. Money was tight when I was younger as we started a family fairly young so when an opportunity to own a bike I took whatever came along and ended up with a 1994 Suzuki Gsxr 1100. That bike was insane 140km/hr coming out of second gear off a set of lights, always had to shut it down quick.

I sold the Suzuki a year after buying it and bought a trailer to take the family camping which was great. Fast forward 8 years and I bought a 1999 Suzuki Intruder 1500 which was a great bike and served me well. In 2009 I bought a 2009 Harley Street Glide which was a repo and I picked it up in Hillsboro from Allens Alley, Fred's a great guy. Some guy bought it in California and put 4400miles on it and never made 1 payment. I saved about $8000 buying it in the USA and would do it all over again. I have been riding that bike ever since and it's an amazing machine aside from the Harley transmission clunk when you put it in first gear. Lol. I just can't get used to it.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1463525233.991305.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Cometman1964 likes this.

1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman64 View Post
I rode lots of dirt bikes as a kid and then took a long hiatus. I always wanted a Harley and lots of people around me has them and the father in law had a 47 Indian so I always loved cool bikes. Money was tight when I was younger as we started a family fairly young so when an opportunity to own a bike I took whatever came along and ended up with a 1994 Suzuki Gsxr 1100. That bike was insane 140km/hr coming out of second gear off a set of lights, always had to shut it down quick.

I sold the Suzuki a year after buying it and bought a trailer to take the family camping which was great. Fast forward 8 years and I bought a 1999 Suzuki Intruder 1500 which was a great bike and served me well. In 2009 I bought a 2009 Harley Street Glide which was a repo and I picked it up in Hillsboro from Allens Alley, Fred's a great guy. Some guy bought it in California and put 4400miles on it and never made 1 payment. I saved about $8000 buying it in the USA and would do it all over again. I have been riding that bike ever since and it's an amazing machine aside from the Harley transmission clunk when you put it in first gear. Lol. I just can't get used to it.

Attachment 68642

Those GSX-R's are nasty machines. I was looking at those before I got the Harley. I kind of figured that just wouldn't turn out well. The Harley is nice and slow.

Nice buy on the latest bike. I probably should have shopped around a bit more than I did for a better price.

post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

They are crazy fast but fun, I didn't even know anything about an inline 4 bike engine. The first time I hit 5-6000rpm and power band kicked in holy crap!

I will probably buy another bike from Fred at Allens Alley one day. His prices are very good. It's about a 3 day trip for me, I usually go Calgary to Kennewick and then have a sleep then the next day drive out to Hillsboro then back to Kennewick again for another sleep then home next day.

D

1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in