Doug Nash/Richmond/G-Force 5-speed Shifters - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Doug Nash/Richmond/G-Force 5-speed Shifters

I would like to hear from anyone with experience running the Nash-style 5-speed. My G-Force version has a Long shifter, which is supposed to be a nice deal, but I've never driven a 5-speed that has such difficult gear selection. It shifts great once the gear is found but there is very little feel involved in selecting the gears. The only way I could get the thing even half way consistent was to lengthen the lever so much that I'm reminded of an Ed Roth charicature.

It seems that Long shifters need LONG shift levers.

I am wondering if the Hurst shifter might be a better way to go or if I should use the v-gate/in-line style.

Any input is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Matt, does the G-force version rotate the trans case so it looks like it's laying on it's side with the linkage levers on the "top" of the trans (like a Liberty 5-speed)?

Or is the G-force mounted like the old style Nash 5-speed with the linkages on the side of the trans kinda like a Ford top loader or a Jerico?

I can't get a mental pic of how the trans & linkage is situated with the new engine mounting, got any pics of the trans & shifter in relation to the seat?

A friend had a Jerico with the inline V gate shifter and it did have a very short shifter throw, but that worked best for his drag racing setup.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Roll-over config.

G-Force will accomodate conventional mouting configuration or roll-over config. which rotates the gear box 90 degrees. Mine is in the oll-over config. because of ground clearance issues, so the linkage is on top.

The more I have looked into this, the more I think the problems I am having are due to the shift lever location, which has my elbow bent at about a 90 degree angle when shifting, but we are trying to do some things to optimize it. I suspect this is one of the only 5 or 6 speeds made that has external linkage.

The next time we test we are going to have a shift gate on the thing. We may also try what I call a translator to move the lever forward.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bbstickstang
mr gasket V gate

i have a nash 4+1 and it has an old mr gasket V gate .it shifts like hot butter.as far as drag racing i have had very much success with this shifter.when it was on the street it was a little comberson when you down shifted.

[email protected] New best, 1.31 60', 12-5-15 All Muscle and No Steroids!
69fb mustang ,509,Liberty Equalizer,5.29 ,31x10.5 w ,3309 w/driver.
I get to feel the torque of a BBF 4 times an 1/8 and 5 times a 1/4.
www.classicgearjammers.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in