Went wheelin' in the OT truck... Anyone else into off-road? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Went wheelin' in the OT truck... Anyone else into off-road?

Had a blast today going wheelin' in my '83 F-150. Just a little 302 with a T-18, NP208, and 8 inch rear, D44 TTB front. It's just on some little 33x12.5 BFGoodrich AllTerrain's. Great fun.

With all the rain lately my usual wheelin' hang-out was flooded pretty bad. Areas that are normally sand are about 1 foot under water. So I went and played there for a while. Went to climb a small hill I normally climb but had to go through the water to get to it since it's all flooded. I nearly made it up, then rolled down and backed up a little for another attempt. Wanted to get some momentum this time since it's all wet. Almost made it, and probably could have if I stayed on it but I didn't wanna rip up the hill too much.

So I rolled back down again, only catch is that on the way down I got my receiver and hitch dug into the ground. Couldn't go back, couldn't go forward. Of course my frame was flexing like usual on these wimpy 80's models and the clutch was not entirely releasing since the z-bar was bending on it's pivots. That made things even worse. Anyhow, I was with one of my buddies who has a stock '90s 4x4 ranger. Between him yanking me up the hill and me romping on my truck we managed to get it unstuck.

So after that we went trail riding. I got a little too comfortable turning a tight bend in the woods next to a fenced in field and smecked one of my fender flares (stepside truck) on a fence pole, took a chunk out of the fiberglass. Also going through some tight stuff I broke one of my mirrors off.

In this one big sand pit there is a good sized crater, for lack fo a better word. I bonzai'd that a couple times and according to a Chevy guy we ran into and tagged along with I was airborne. Sure felt like it from the landing. Chevy guy wouldn't play in the crater and turned back from the trails because it was getting too tight for him. His truck was bigger than mine, had meatier tires, and a bigger engine.

Last time I rode those trails with a Chevy guy he had no problem driving his huge pickup (44" tires, lifted like mad) through the tight spots. Just took his time and navigated it very well. Great attitude for a Chevy guy. Only thing is his truck broke, starter went. We found that out after he stalled it climbing the last hill to get out of the woods. Tried to fix it but the cheesy plastic solenoid was kaput and the terminals on the starter disintigrated. Being as how I had the next biggest truck and I was behind him on the hill I tried push-starting him up the hill. We could get the Chevy to turn over but it wouldn't start. After a few tries and the bumper of his truck rode up on my hood I foudn a way around to the front of him and dragged his truck out to the street and push-started him there. That was fun, dragging a huge Chevy around. That thing dwarfed my truck.

Anyway, all in all it was not a bad day, I had a great time and the only thing I really broke is my hitch, which is now bent down at a 45* angle. Looks like I gotta get a new hitch for next week when I drive up to NY to pick up a Falcon for my buddy. Oh well.

[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/trucks/P1270002.JPG[/img]
[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/trucks/P1270005.JPG[/img]
[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/trucks/P1270011.JPG[/img]

It's a good little truck. I beat the snot out of the thing every time I take it out and it still hasn't broken anything. Heck, I've had water up above teh headlights and the thing kept on running. Truck was stuck as I had bald tires then, but it wouldn't stall even sitting in water that deep. Finally I shut it down as I didn't wanna break it and rocking it wasn't getting me anywhere. Drained 3 gallons of water out of the motor, filled it with oil again, and drove home. Changed all fluids the next day and it's still good as new. I never would have thought a new truck could be so durable. I'm just amazed the Duraspark works underwater. Water was halfway up the air cleaner and it kept running. Crazy stuff!

The whole reason I bought this truck is because it's practically brand-new and to get classic car insurance on my Galxies I need a new vehicle to drive every day (insurance company regulations). So I saw this truck for sale and jumped on it. Needed a aprts hauler anyhow. Turns out it was a waste and since my truck is over 20 years old they won't insure my Galaxies. Some BS about vehicles older than 20 years being unreliable. What a load of crap, the two vehicles I've had that were newer than 20 years old were unreliable pieces of junk. This truck however, I've been beating the crap out of it Since October and it hasn't let me down yet. I'd actually like to get rid of it and get an older truck that I can make bigger and do up a 460 in, but I gotta either break this one pretty good or sell it before I do that. I doubt anyone would pay what I've got into it, so I just have a blast in the thing and don't worry about 'scratching the paint'

So does anyone else go wheelin'? Have any good stories? What kind of truck do you drive? Pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 PM

I used to,not anymore since I did this.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Damn man... How did that happen? Really emphasizes the importance of a good roll-bar. I've had my truck airborned a few times, and once or twice I've gotten to the point where I felt it get a litte tipsy, but never rolled anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in