Anyone know of a good source for Dana 70 axle shafts? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to F100cleveland Send a message via Yahoo to F100cleveland
Anyone know of a good source for Dana 70 axle shafts?

I haven't pulled the axle yet to verify its length and spline count, but just curious if there are still used ones floating around out there. I don't want to put that axle under my trail rider unless I know I'm able to get some spares. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:17 AM

Used axles are hard to get sometimes. Salvage yards don't like to sell them out of a good rearend. Most of them are still available from Spicer if the rearend isn't real old.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:45 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that the D70 axles are the same as the late D60, ie 1.5in/35 spline. The first D60s had 1.3in/16 spline, then the 70s and very early 80s had 1.3in/31 spline. The late 80s to current had 1.5in/35 spline. I've seen both of the early versions but never the late. You might contact Moser or Yukon and see what they say.

Greg

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:55 PM

I have seen some of the 80's model dana 70's with the small dana 60 axles. Does anyone have a website for yukon? They are starting to make good afordable stuff.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 03:10 PM

Link

[quote="Does anyone have a website for yukon? They are starting to make good afordable stuff.[/quote]

http://www.yukongearandaxle.com/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the link Doug. I had done a search but came up empty.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:20 AM

Um...Yukon stuff is pretty bad. The gears they sell are terrible, they howl and whine and they break very easy compared to the stock dana/spicer gears. I would expect nothing more from thier axles. Yukon is a company that truly gives you exactly what you pay for...and nothing more. You can get very good axles from Mosser for 300 a pair. They are nice, very stronge, and really not expensive. I buy my axles from Mark at Greensburg Machine and Driveline, he ships nationwide:

Greensburg Machine And Driveline. Specializing in DANA/SPICER performance driveshafts and modifications, shortening, bearing kits, tri-axle shafts, race car shafts, circle track. We carry a complete line of cross-over U-joints, performance SPICER joints, Yokes, front axles for Dana 44/60's. We make the strongest TRUCK PULLING drive shafts period! We cut fly wheels for ceramic clutches, we fabricate obsolete parts, and overhaul OEM axles and driveshafts. Race axles to dump trucks...we have you covered!

Mark Petros 724-837-8233 Shop 724-433-0527 - cell
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Superior also advertises D-70 axles, I would not be affraid of the yukon axles, when I was researching for my project I read a few negative comments about the yukon shafts but they were all about the front axles, (not related to what you are doing)
I wound up going with the yukon shafts in my front axle, though I've only driven it 4 or 5 times, I'm puting well over 1000 horse to 44" tires through these shafts, If I don't brake them right off the bat that should stand for somthing,

If you are looking for used axles, remeber there are a couple different spline counts on the d-70, (similar to the 60 stuff) cours & fine,

Leroy Latham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in