/ - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

/

BHN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
2slow

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
??

might make some people feel sorry they helped buy a set of Mopar pistons for the next go.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Only real straight answer you'll get will be from Randy himself. I'm sure he'll set the record straight.

But, his quotes could have been taken out of context, mis-quoted by the mag, etc... Also, I do believe Charlie Evans bought a set of Ford pistons for Randy's motor. I don't think he just gave Randy the money.

At any rate, I don't really care if he is brand loyal or not. He's a great resource to the board just like everybody else here. I think Randy owns an engine building business. And I know it's hard to be brand loyal in that line of work.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

None of us if perfect . At least Randy sees that the 385s can/will make big power , even if he is not in love with them...that's more than the average Chevy guy will admit , let alone give us good advise .
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Re: Engine Masters Interview Question -Original Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime
I am puzzled why an engine builder on this site,would make a statement in a magazine that,he was not loyal to any motor(EX:Ford,Chevy,Buick.etc).I thought the 460 forum guys helped this guy buy a set of pistons for the 460 motor.Then mention a Chrysler.Was I the only one who seen this.Common ,whats up with that?????

Heres the article!!!

Malik built a big-block Ford, however, he isn't brand-loyal. Randy explains, "I thought a big-block Chrysler would be the best, but I had all of these parts, so a Chrysler would have cost me three times as much. The big-block I ran in 2003 is this engine. I put a crank and rods and a roller cam in it, otherwise, it's basically the same engine. As far as trick parts, I wanted to mention the cam drive made by Scott Main, of MPG Heads. It lets me change the cam timing in the cell in seven minutes." A mysterious cooling problem caused overheating when the engine met the dyno, leading to a DNF.

Well Mr. "Onetime," I can't help but notice that you registered on the forum today and then posted this as your very first post, and declined to show your email for correspondence...maybe because the email address might reveal who you really are and the name you normally post under? Judging by the fact that you claim you originated from the Network54 385 forum, me thinks you've already been around here plenty but are a wuss who is afraid to reveal your true identity when asking questions that are aimed to tarnish another's credibility. Am I right? If so, I sure as hell don't care to see you around here anymore.

So what if Mr. Malik likes Mopars or has no brand loyalty? These engines...they're all air pumps, pure and simple. And one motor may very well be better for a given application than the other brand motor. Would you enter a blown International 345 against Force in the 1320 OR would you expect his motor to beat your 345 in a rock crawling contest? I grew up Mopars, my good friend and neighbor restored '60's Mustangs and I scoffed at him. Then I took a 460 apart and fell in love. I even tell people that I am not necessarily a Ford guy; I'm a 429/460 guy. This wonderful 460 engine, beautiful as it is, is not the motor to end all motors. No engine is. We are all different in this country and we pick and choose what we like. That's one of the great things about America...freedom of choice.

Mr. Malik's motor melted its pistons, and seemingly not his doing (which your mag quote calls a "mysterious" cooling problem!). His loss. We helped compensate him for his loss. PERIOD. I could care less whether he spent the money on new Ford pistons or new Volkswagen pistons. That's up to him.

Look Mr. "Onetime," if in fact you're the kind of person that cruises the internet just to pounce on others so as to make your inferiority complex self somehow feel better all the while hiding behind a second registered "onetime" name, then as far as I'm concerned you can just get the hell outta here!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeet!

Paul

p.s.: Chilly, trace the IP address and BOOT HIM!

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Use Your Real Name

Onetime,

Like Paul said, use your real name if you're going to post this trash, otherwise we can't take you seriously and you have no credibility. Give your e-mail address also.

In regards to Randy and his engine. He had entered a BB Ford in 2003 and then again in the 2005 contest. I'd say he is more paritial to Fords than the other brands. I'd also say he is open minded enough to realize that some of the other brands have advantages over the BB Ford to some degree or another. For example the BB Mopar has a taller deck heigth than the Ford and also a bigger lifter diameter, but that's besides the point.

The point is that he built his BBF engine as a labor of love and I invited him to come down here and dyno it. He stayed four days/ three nights and he worked on it hard, with me helping him as much as I could. Lem and Mike Phillips (lone Buick entry) helped out also. When he left here I felt he had a very competitive engine and stood a chance of being in the top 3 or 4 entries.

I know of two engines that got melted down at the EMC in dyno cell # 3 and there may have been more. The problem seems to be in the cooling tower design and routing of water hoses in that cell. I place the blame on the dyno operator and/or the facility. We also have a DTS dyno here and his engine did fine for all 30 some odd dyno pulls we made on it here.

When I heard about the piston meltdown due to no water in the block and the water pump never picking up prime, I was furious. I also knew how sick Randy was. I felt sorry for him, because I know how hard he worked in building his engine, and I wanted to help out. Knowing that he's on a budget, just like the rest of us, I took up a little collection fund for new pistons and rings for Randy. It was MY initiative and about 30 men on this Forum gave or contributed freely to the fund. I have a list of all the names of those who gave. IF, you are one of those men, then tell me your name and I will refund your money if it will make you feel any better. For some reason, I am 99.9% sure you weren't one of those men who chipped in, so therefore you have no right to speak! I strongly suspect you're just a trouble maker, and a weasel at that.

Go away!

Charlie Evans
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

>

BFN
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the backlash came because you were attempting to build a case against a well regarded member of the forum. I like the fact that we have 460 loyalists here, but I'm equally happy that generally we're not a bunch of ignorant folks that don't appreciate the merits of other motors. I regularly see guys discussing Mopars, I can recall a recent Cadillac thread...it's good to be open minded.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yes, you picked the wrong forum member (Randy Malik) to pick on. He is very intelligent and very much appreciated on this forum. I won't bash you though, you're welcome here...so you can benefit from his experience too!

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:18 PM

Mr. Onetime, even if Mr. Malik is not loyal to one brand of engines, he is the kind of person that reads and gives VALUABLE advise to people needing answer in this forum....so, posting something like you did, does nothing against the fact that a lot of people appreciate all the information that Mr. Malik share here in the forum. The level of people in this forum is well above the more common child play/you say/I answer, kind of most automotive forums...So Onetime, you are out of line.....
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Re: Engine Masters Interview Question -Original Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane
............Look Mr. "Onetime," if in fact you're the kind of person that cruises the internet just to pounce on others so as to make your inferiority complex self somehow feel better all the while hiding behind a second registered "onetime" name, then as far as I'm concerned you can just get the hell outta here!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeet!

Paul

p.s.: Chilly, trace the IP address and BOOT HIM!

Hey Paul, why don't you tell us how you really feel. :lol:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

TACT

I think it's called "tact". Look it up in the dictionary. If I built engines for a living, I wouldn't go to an interview and talk about how Chevy sucks and Mopar is for Joe Dirt. How would the hometown racers feel if they read about their engine builder dissing their gear ?? :shock:

I like 460's, but my wife has a sweet 440 in her 68 Charger. I've ridden in some cool BBC powered rides, but I haven't beent tempted enough to buy one yet. LOL.

I also sent Randy a couple of bucks, and I don't care if he spent it on beer. I would have. :lol:

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Sounds like Randy is full of great advice! Maybe he should post and tell us all why Chryslers are so great and Fords are a much better second choice. :?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:48 PM

Garage
Journalistic BS

There are at least two professions where people make a living writing or talking about subjects they do not necessarily know anything about. One of them is journalism.

My take is the writer positioned the "quote" to make a "story". That is what he is paid to do. Inaccuracy under such circumstances might not even register as a lapse of integrity, especially since it probably could not result in lower sales (presumably happy Chevy readers trump pissed off Ford readers).

Without training or practice it's not easy to keep this stuff in mind when being interviewed.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Matt , you make a good point , which is my position....why would one read something that is not going to tell it like it is , let alone why would one pay to hear mis-info .
Does the Pope read "Islam today" magizine ? I doubt it .
The local newspaper did an article on the Ford GT we had....they only got 7 things wrong in the VERY short article .
"STORY" is the key word here ...IMO .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in