Big Turbo + Big motor = Big fun - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Big Turbo + Big motor = Big fun

I've mentioned it countless times and have finally taken the big, first step. Last night, on Ebay, I bid on and won a Garrett TV8101. This is a large turbo off a semi truck that is sized very nice for a 460.

Now, instead of saying, "800+ hp should be easy with a turbo", I can say, "800+ hp IS easy with a turbo" :shock: !!!

I need to get my 96 Mustang running good and dependable. Then, I'll sell my current 'back up' vehicle: an 85 Porsche. The money from the Porsche should just about cover my expenses for this project.

The vehicle is a 77 F250 with ~8" lift and 39.5x18.5" Boggers. I'll mount the 460 low and far back with a motor plate. The engine bay is huge and the truck is tall enough that my 5" exhaust won't affect my ground clearance.

I will fab the hot side, cold side, turbo mounts, headers, exhaust ect.

Talk is the easy part and that's what I've been doing for the last 1.5 years. Now, it is time to 'do'.

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good deal on the turbo.. And OH how I would love to have that 85 Porsche.. Wow. Ive always wanted a mid 80's car to swap over to a 3.3 Turbo.. My buddy has an 85 Whale tail car that he swapped over a few years ago... WOW that thing is wicked.. Sounds absolutley nasty to.. But then again a 460 with a turbo is gonna sound nasty to..

You should put the turbo on the mustang though.. WOWZA talk about a ride..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe Devil
You should put the turbo on the mustang though...
I can't imagine trying to make that fit in a BBF mustang. I don't know where the turbo would fit or how the exhaust would get out of the engine bay.

Big truck = big engine bay = much easier to make everything fit.

When I had my 460 in the Bronco, it was so much fun seeing people faces when I would go to the strip and run high 13's with it's 38.5" tires :shock: . And that was only around 500 hp.

Since buying the Porsche, I haven't been too impressed with it. It's not as fast as my 2.3 T Mustang and doesn't corner as well. It does have a better ride though.

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:41 AM

So the Porsche is slower? WOW... My buddies 3.3 T 86 car is BAD... Its a turbo power like ive not felt driving / riding in other turbo cars... so on demand ..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 06:03 PM

what's the porsche?

What model of Porsche is it? If it's a 944, I wouldn't blame you one bit for wanting to sell it. If it's a 930 and you want to dump it for some insanely cheap price, let me know! I'm also doing a turbo, but for a mustang. I'm using an itty bitty Holset HT3B (76mm) but will likely upgrade to the TV8101 if it all goes well. I'm also looking for around 700hp, but I'm on the fence as to whether I should mess with the turbo, piping, intercooler, wideband, and other stuff as compared to just putting some decent heads on my 514 and get 600hp without boost. The engine in my car sits WAY back so there's a load of room. One of the main reasons I'd go with a turbo is I'll run the 5" downpipe out of the passenger side fender just above and behind the front wheel. If I go NA, I'd need to run full size mufflers which would mean I'd have to run the exhaust under the car. I don't know how to keep the car low stance and still have good ground clearance like that so I'm leaning toward the turbo. I think the cost of all the turbo components plus the hassle will be a wash with the cost of heads, better exhaust, higher stall torque converter... If you don't mind my asking, how much did the TV8101 cost? I got my HT3B for $77 off ebay and it's in very good condition. I guess it wouldn't be too terrible if I damage it somehow since I'm new to turbos also. I'm guessing you're doing a carb blowthru? I think I see which turbo you won now (checked completed listings on ebay). Is it the one with messed up compressor wheel? If so, are you just going to get a stock size replacement and get the turbo balanced/rebuilt?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

The Porsche is a 944. It runs very good and is a good car, but I don't need to have 4 running, insured vehicles (I live by myself).

Coupe Devil:
My Porsche isn't turbo'd and it has a 2.4 instead of the 3.3. Also, I'm running 23 psi, an HX35, and a FMIC on my daily driver Mustang. My non-turbo'd Porsche never really stood a chance.

ScottJackson:
Are you running a motor plate? With motor plates, I set my motor on my 1.5" dropped r&p and about 3/8" from the firewall. From what I've seen, I have my motor very low and back in the chassis compared to other 'street' cars. I'd be curious to see pics of your engine placement.

I was keeping my eyes open for an Ht3b too, but lucked across the TV8101.

Here is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

The pictures show the damage as minimal. If that's the case, I'll give it a thorough inspection and probably run it as-is.

Actually, I'm planning on going efi. I recently bought an EEC Tuner and PCMX software to reprogram the ECM on my 91 Mustang. After tuning it, I'll be more familiar with the 'process' and the tuning hardware. This way, I'll cut my teeth on my 91 Mustang which is close but not perfect. I'll get proficient with it then I'll try my luck on a new setup. Mega Squirt has been recommended too. For what it cost to buy a good blow thru carb, I can get myself into EFI.

Another reason I'm leaning towards efi is because I already have a LM-1 w/ Auxbox. Therefore, I can see exactly what my motor is doing (a/f ratio, boost, rpm's, injector duty cycle, IAT, ect.). This means I don't have to pay for dyno time to get it tuned just right.

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in