**This Is An Absolute Disgrace*** - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

**This Is An Absolute Disgrace***

This is a quote from www.dragracingonline.com Agent 1320
Quote:
THIS IS SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS?

There were some representatives of the Armed Forces Radio and Televisions Services at Pomona on Thursday, Feb. 9. That branch of the services furnishes our troops with free programming overseas. Evidently NHRA was under orders from ESPN, who owns all of the rights to shoot any action shots at NHRA events, to not allow the AFRTS folks to shoot any part of the day's racing from the side of the track. They ended up in the stands, according to DRO staffers at the race. Shame on NHRA and ESPN for this petty action. [2-10-2006]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:38 PM

that is lame

Yeah, that is sad. It's not like ESPN was going to lose any $$$ if the troops were able to watch the action. Even if they were going to lose $ in some way, they should have allowed it. I don't agree with the war, but I have nothing at all against the troops. I wish all of them the best, even the troops on the other side of the battle (the Iraqis).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

the only thing those two groups care about is the almighty dollar

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:11 PM

ESPN

I guess we need to all speak more on this subject and find out why ESPN disallowed this to our troups, this is a pashonate subject to me. If this is a dish on Bush this is not the proper way to handle things. To say you support our troups but not our President is flat out BULL**** you cant support one without the other. If NHRA wont stand behind our troups I will have nothing more to do with NHRA. I am calling them monday request everyone do the same. Thanks Gregg
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

NHRA has been full of BS for a long time, and ESPN is boring!
I have nothing against the troops either....but I can sense that this is quickly going to turn into a political mudslinging thread unless everyone on this great board keeps their cool and keeps it auto/460 related! :P

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, maybe my posting this on 100 message boards and emailing hundreds of people has helped. Just announced on www.nitromater.com ESPN has agreed to give all the footage to them for free and allow them to film at Gainesville. 8)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 05:00 PM

espn-nhra

Thankyou lets all keep an eye open. Your a great American. Gregg
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:40 PM

not to get into an argument, but...

One can support the troops and not agree with the president's decisions. The troops are doing their job. They are providing a very honorable service in great danger. Troops aren't told exactly why they will be in the next conflict or what will be the political circumstances behind it. Our country needs them and I greatly respect them. It's somewhat like saying, "I like my hot rod but not buying the gas it uses." One is directly effected by the other and they're very closely related but that doesn't mean you must feel the same about both. I don't want this to get into some political argument as they never get anywhere and people simply have different opinions. Someone has a different opinion than mine. I respect that even though I disagree. It is nice to have an off-topic forum.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:04 PM

Re: ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrracer
To say you support our troups but not our President is flat out BULL**** you cant support one without the other.
There are dozens of veterans running this election year for Congress posts, and the majority of them are Democrats. Many of them are Gulf War or Iraq/Afghanistan vets and most oppose or at least question the war and Bush's policies.

I'm curious how these former (and present) warriors fit in to your scheme of things......
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Re: that is lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson
Yeah, that is sad. It's not like ESPN was going to lose any $$$ if the troops were able to watch the action. Even if they were going to lose $ in some way, they should have allowed it. I don't agree with the war, but I have nothing at all against the troops. I wish all of them the best, even the troops on the other side of the battle (the Iraqis).
Why would you wish the Iraqi's on the other side the best?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:40 PM

because they're just people trying to do what they think is right also. They see us as the "bad guys" very similar to how we see them. They feel their world and beliefs are being threatened so they defend them. It seems a lot the same from both sides. I can't relate to Muslim culture very well, but that's to be expected. It does seem their religion supports war more than our dominant religions (Christianity, Judaism).
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:36 PM

I see what you're saying, Scott, but I'm not sure it really applies in the current situation. The Iraqis we're fighting there aren't a standing army who enlisted or were drafted to do a job, as were our troops. In fact, most of them aren't even Iraqis, but terrorists who have come to Iraq to participate in the insurgency. I don't extend to them the same respect I'd extend to soldiers in a normal war situation. Our warriors are professionals who, for the most part, do their job to the best of their abilities, regardless of their personal feelings about the mission. That's the definition of professional. Very different situation with the insurgents.....they are all about the mission (killing infidels) and not at all about being professional soldiers. Unfortunately, the terribly depressed living conditions in most of the Middle East serve to feed and drive this insurgency......these people, frankly, have nothing else to do. If they had fulfilling lives, careers, and even something to live for, they wouldn't be spending their time making IEDs and shooting our (and Iraqi) troops.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:39 PM

I agree. I don't hold the insurgents in nearly as high regard as our troops or the organized Iraqi police/troops trying to make life better for the citizens there. I agree also that the living conditions for many feed the terrorism participation. Seems a lot like the early U.S. fight against communism in Russia when Hoover sent food aid there in hopes that it would diminish support for communist revolution there. Of course it didn't work, but it did save many people anyway.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote from Nitromater by Mark Walter USAF Ret. Jama Ministry.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a follow up article from DRO about the out come of what I would call a grassroots movement to fix this. Yea, we win!

ARMY WINS

A team from the Army Broadcasting Service led by Lieutenant Colonel
Derek W. Crotts, a Commander in the American Forces Network, were in the Schumacher compound over the weekend, where NHRA initially denied them the ability to shoot any on-track video footage at the Winternationals. The team was at Pomona to provide Army drag racing oriented stories to entertain our troops and to help build the TV audience for the ESPN show being broadcast on February 15 to troops stationed abroad and on military bases in the U.S. over the American Forces Network.

Over the weekend both NHRA and ESPN agreed to provide on-track and pit footage at no charge to the AFN for the Winternationals. According to Col. Crotts, they will have a working agreement since they intend to return to future NHRA POWERade events because, "Our troops love drag racing."

American Forces Network also provides NASCAR, golf, tennis, NFL and college football, NBA and college basketball and other sporting events to military personnel and their families.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in