Motor plates vs. motor mounts - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Motor plates vs. motor mounts

I'm planning on putting a big block in my '87 Mustang hatch and I'm trying to decide on motor plates or motor mounts. Eventually I'm planning on going a bit more extreme and I'm wondering if I should just put motor plates in now or just use motor mounts. How hard is it to install plates? Does anyone make solid motor mounts for this swap? Thanks, Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

You only need to use ONE motor plate at the front of the engine and the regular trans mount in the rear; in fact it is prefered to do this with a driven vehicle unless you have a chassis which doesn't flex at all.
You don't need the engine and transmission to become a stressed member of the chassis; tends to break things especially trans cases and bellhousings.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Motor plates.

If your going to go to the trouble of installing a front motor plate, it's a good idea to also install a mid plate between the motor & trans at the same time. Using both plates at the same time reduces the load on the front motor plate, and spreads that load over a much larger area.

An engine/trans combo mounted with plates, (either front plate only, or front & mid plates), should still use a flexible trans tail shaft mount, (rubber or urethane). This is because all chassis flex to some degree no matter how many bars you add, (from a FOX body with only a 6 point bar, to a full chassis 'moly door car, they all flex some), and the thin aluminum trans case doesn't need any twisting forces applied to the tail shaft, main case, or valve body. Along with the mounting plates, a set of travel limiters is a good idea.

If it's going to be a mostly street driven car, a good set of factory style rubber or urethane mounts might be a better idea than the plates.

DAVID.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how safe is a front plate only good till?
how good is motor mounts good till?
how good is a daul plate good till?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in