Coil Overs Front and Back - 4 link car - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Coil Overs Front and Back - 4 link car

Well I've sold a few engine blocks and I'll be selling a few more items soon so it's time to order some much needed parts.

I'll be ordering a new set of Hoosier 26" front runners to replace my current 25" 'street type' tires.

My car currently has Moroso front springs, cut 1.25 coils out, with Lakewood 90/10 struts. I'm going to get a coil over conversion for the front and maybe in a few years I may spring for a tube K-member. IMO the coil over front will make my 60' times more consistent and a little quicker. I have the Granatelli Drag kit on my Summit wish list along with the hoosier tires. However I'm leaning towards getting the PA racing setup that some of you guys have recommended to me.

I currently have AVO rear coil over shocks that are at least 9 years old. I think it's time for new rear shocks, what do you think :?:

I checked prices on Summit and they are EXPENSIVE!! What kind of rear coil over shocks are good for the money? It's the shorter shocks with 2.5" springs, your typical coil over shock setup for a 4-link or ladder bar car.

Just thinking out loud :roll: and appreciate any input.

Dyno day is this Saturday!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 07:06 PM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
rear coil overs

Damon, I don't know what you consider "EXPENSIVE". Plus don't waste your money & buy a single adjustable shock. Get external double adjustable. Here are three that I would recommend.

1) Strange - cheaper than Koni's. PLus both adjustments are at the bottom so the shaft is solid(I think I am right on this). Clearly this is the best bang for the buck.

2) Koni- You know their reputation. I ran them on my last car with no problems. A litttle more expensive than Strange.

3) Santhuff- These are the "mac daddies" of coil overs. They are also the most expensive. About $1000 a pair. Has a huge 7/8" dia. shaft . You won't ever hurt or wear these out. These are on my current car.

One last thing, I would recommend using a shock with the longest stroke available. I believe this is 7". It makes getting your big tires off alot easier on low slung cars. One last thing. When it comes to shocks, I truely believe you get what you pay for. They are one item I believe in getting the best because they are a huge part of a chassis working correctly. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think a set of those cheap gas charged econo coil over style shocks is what you need on that ole heap!!! LOL.

I agree with TopSportsman916 100%. Even though I put my foot in my mouth and bought Jerry Smith's (jsracingbbf) old QA1's from him last year.

But hey, I'm on a tight budget......

One thing to consider, and it was the biggest reason I bought the used ones from Jerry, is that those AVO's are rebuildable.

IMO I'd try to find the contact info for Hal Lee. He's the guy who first produced the HAL and AVO shocks before he was bought by QA1. Hal worked for QA1 for awhile but now he's back in business. He will rebuild/revalve just about any coil over. Tell him about your car and he'll tailor it to your application.

He's located in Florida (I think) and has some good prices from what I heard. This might be the way to go instead of buying some double adjustables. Might be cheaper too, or maybe he can convert them to double adj for you.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 03:24 AM

I went with the Strange DA's. 110 lb. spring.

The fronts are Strange also with 125 lb. springs.

Good bang for the buck.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Double adjustable.

Agree with TopSportsman916 go with a double adjustable shock, especially if you ever plan on using wheelie bars.

Santhuff's are great to work with, the valving is really responsive. As mentioned above Koni's are next in line. I havent worked with the Strange doubles yet, but have heard only good about them.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Good Info guys :!:

You guys always come through for me :lol:

I'll check out what you guys recommended and check out getting mine rebuilt but since they are so old I may just get a new set of double adjustable shocks.

THANKS! :idea:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:14 AM

If money is tight I have a set of QA-1's, very good shape $200

605ci Big Block, 2 Speed J.W. Trans. w/4800 stall, 9" rearend 3.89 gear, 4-Link suspension,

1/8 mile 5.84 @124.5mph

http://www.geocities.com/ryan98gt/fordzilla.html
http://www.geocities.com/waterslinger1
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My aproach as risky as it is:

I have ran my car tall in the rear; with the stock 2.3L springs/shocks in the front and ladder bars with Olds shocks and 2.3L springs/control arms in the back. So far so good with an estimated 480hp, top run at 11.39.

The car needs lowered in the rear. One way or another it will be 1" lower at the rear axle area. I may have to change the ladders, or find a way they can be repositioned.

So now I am going 700hp + or - 25 hp. Will suspension need changed? Most likely but I want to see what it needs before I change it. Don't fix something that is not broken. Wait and see where you need changes, you may need to spend more or less than you thought. No sense in doing it now and find out you still need to alter it more.

Unless of cours you have money to spare.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpierce55
My aproach as risky as it is:

I have ran my car tall in the rear; with the stock 2.3L springs/shocks in the front and ladder bars with Olds shocks and 2.3L springs/control arms in the back. So far so good with an estimated 480hp, top run at 11.39.

The car needs lowered in the rear. One way or another it will be 1" lower at the rear axle area. I may have to change the ladders, or find a way they can be repositioned.

So now I am going 700hp + or - 25 hp. Will suspension need changed? Most likely but I want to see what it needs before I change it. Don't fix something that is not broken. Wait and see where you need changes, you may need to spend more or less than you thought. No sense in doing it now and find out you still need to alter it more.

Unless of cours you have money to spare.
My sentiments exactly. I'll most likely run it as is for now but I WILL have to get new front tires however I do need the front conversion at a minimum.

Waterslinger I may take you up on the QA1 shocks. If I were outlaw racing then I'd want the BEST but for my little 'ole bracket car "heap" I don't need the BEST :lol: 8)
Yeah, that's aimed at you John

Later guys and THANKS!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Update

I have a set of 175# springs on the way and a front coil over conversion kit. Should have these installed by the next race, hopefully be racing on August 12th.

Still need new rear coil over shocks.

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
I am running QA1 coilovers on the rear of the ladderbar Fairlane and love them. 32 17.5 x 15 tires with 4.56 gears.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetFairlane
I am running QA1 coilovers on the rear of the ladderbar Fairlane and love them. 32 17.5 x 15 tires with 4.56 gears.
I've been looking at the QA1 shocks. I'll most likely go this direction. The shocks I have on my car now are OLD and non adjustable.

So what's the best way to check my spring rate? Compress it one inch and see how much weight it takes :?: I wonder if I could bring it into the lab and use the United Tensile Tester to measure the force required to compress it one inch :?: Good Idea I'll have to convert it from Kgf to Lbf.

I'm going to try and find someone locally that has some scales so I can weigh the car front and back OR 4 corners.

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:05 PM
TopSportsman916

Damon, scaling the car is the best way. I had to guess on mine but I got lucky & picked the right springs. I started with 300# & 110# springs. I now have 250# & 95# on the car now. The car is now at the exact ride height & the spring seats are mid way of the coil over threads. I still want to scale my car.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Chris,

How much does your car weigh? I know we are comparing apples to oranges but...........

There's a round track racer locally that has the scales. I'm thinking that I need to scale the car AFTER I install the front coil overs. Then I can see if the rear springs I already have are OK and then order new rear coil over shocks? And maybe new rear springs.

My car weighs 3000 to 3100# I'm guesstimating based on the last time I weighed the car it was 2999# with driver. Then I was running an Iron headed 428 with a C6 transmission and one battery. 1700# front and 1300# rear.

NOW I'm running the aluminum headed 466 and C4 tranny with 2 batteries.

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 PM
TopSportsman916

By the scales at VMP 2415 w/o driver & 2600 w/driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in