Now that the motor runs good, the tranny went bad! Suggestio - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Now that the motor runs good, the tranny went bad! Suggestio

The tranny is a full manual reverse valve body C6. It has been behind a mild 460 for less than 2000 miles since its last rebuild. Due to motor issues, the tranny has been in and out 4 or 5 times though.

I got the motor running good two weeks ago. The tranny worked fine.

I have a Perma-Cool remote tranny filter setup. For those that are unfamiliar with it, it is a kit that basically uses an oil filter for a tranny filter and is mounted in a convenient spot.

After driving the car without issues for a 150 miles, I replaced the factory supplied tranny filter for a quality Wix oil filter. Now, less than 40 miles later, the tranny will barely pull itself forwards. I called Perma-Cool and questioned the oil filter I used and was told it was an adequate filter.

The last drive the tranny seen went like this:
At first, the tranny just took a touch longer to get into gear. I thought it was low on fluid and added some. As I drove, the problem seemed to worsen. I thought that the shifter might be misadjusted. I was only 5 miles from home and drove home. As I drove home, the problem became pretty bad. On the highway, the rpm's would flare with any abrupt throttle input. At stoplights, it slipped excessively in order to get up to speed.

I got home and readjusted the linkage: no change. Then, I removed the shifter cable and tried shifting the tranny from underneath the car: no change. Interestingly enough, the tranny locks up solid in reverse.

I figure it needs rebuilt, but would rather not pull the car apart before knowing what and why this happened.

Suggestions? What can I check? Did something plug the valve body? ???

At $450 each rebuild, I'm quickly getting tired of paying somebody else to do this. This is the only work I pay other people to do on my cars and would like to change that. I am mechanically adept and would rather rebuild the tranny myself. Are there any in-depth video's, books, website available that would walk me through the process?

The tranny has a mild, 2800 stall in it and a very large tranny cooler and tranny temp gauge. The tranny has NOT been overheated. It runs around 180*.

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Before pulling it for a rebuild, I'd check the flow of your filter. It seems to me that if the only thing that was changed before the meltdown was the filter, then the filter should be the suspect. I'd either change back to a PermaCool filter or bypass the filter all together and see how the tranny shifted then.

I read you signature. How hard is it to put a turbo on a dual plug 2.3? I'm a member at TurboFord, but since you're handy, I thought I'd sneak it in.

Greg
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

I am going to cut the filter apart this evening.

Whatever happened, though, the tranny is toast. To do the 'vehicle shuffle' last night, I pulled the 96 Mustang into the street. The fluid is nasty as heck and obviously VERY burnt. The car couldn't even move itself (forward or reverse now). I had to use a damn come-a-long to winch the car 60' up the driveway into the garage.

I called Perma-Cool again and talked to their techline. The guy thinks my tranny lines might be reversed. If this is the case, it may have collapsed the new filter (maybe it wasn't as strong as the permacool one). This would have severly reduced the flow and killed my tranny in short time.

2.3 Turbo:
After doing all the parts swapping and fabricating, I could easily duplicate the motor with a LOT less grief than the first one. Overall, though, it's not too bad at all. Especially when compared to my BBF projects .

And I love the look on peoples' faces when they realize my Mustang is only a 4 banger . My license plate says, "NOTAV8".

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Shouldn't really matter what line the filter is in but generally it is in the return line which goes to the rear of the trans.
From your description i'd say you have an issue in the forward clutch pack since reverse is ok .Rev uses more pressure than the forward gears so if the filter was an issue i would think reverse would play up as well.
It will be interesting to see the outcome.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:48 AM

trans rebuild

I bought a haynes ford transmission rebuild manual,as I read throuh it I thought to myself,it cant be that simple. I bought a b&m rebuild kit that also came with some good direction.I did the trans about 8 years ago.still in the car about 18k on it & still holding up behind a mild 460.Iwould recomend a seal installer for the drum seals. the only other advice would be that of the trans shop that hot tanked my case for me. make sure every thing is SUPER CLEAN,&dont force anything.it was not hard to do at all.so get a book and have at it I say. Pete
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 08:24 AM

Tranny rebuild

Sounds like low pressure killed it.Not familiar with your filter setup but it could be the culprit.Several other things like trash in the pump bypass or valve body worn pump or drum seals can cause it to hesitate taking gear.
Culprit needs to be found at teardown or it will happen again.Agree with Pete the old trannys are not rocket sience and much simpler than people realize.A couple of special tools make it much easier to do.But some of the more friendly tranny shops will rebuild the clutch drums for you.It would also be advisable to get help when taking valve body apart some have little steel balls that if they fallout can be extremly hard to figure out where they go.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I still pulled the motor and tranny last night, but never got around to cutting the filter apart.

Although I've been running it for a couple of years and about 10K miles, it appears that people don't like the filter setup I have: it has no filter inside the tranny. Instead, it uses an oil filter plumbed into the tranny cooler lines. I guess it is too restrictive.

I am really hoping that I find the filter to be at fault, because, otherwise, I don't know if I'll be able to tell what happened to it.

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in