Tranny rebuild videos...good or bad? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Tranny rebuild videos...good or bad?

Long story short, my C6 needs rebuilt. Around here, it cost $450 for a carry-in rebuild.

Eastwood has a dvd specifically for a C6.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Has anybody used it? Or something like it? I have seen the inside of a C6 a few times, but have never messed with one by myself.

Not counting my time, I figure I can screw up three times for the cost of one rebuild by a professional. I wish I had more of a 'stock' rebuild to break myself in on, but, instead, the C6 is behind about 550 hp.

On the other hand, the rebuild wouldn't be much different would it? As long as all the hard parts are fine...

Suggestions, comments, and/or insults are appreciated

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've never had the balls to tear apart an automatic transmission and rebuild it myself either so I'm very interested in the responses to this also.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM

I get the video and try it myself .... I had mine apart a few times last season and it's not that complicated..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:51 PM

it's not that hard to do, but cleanliness, attention to detail and mechanical common sense are required.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFFox
I've never had the balls to tear apart an automatic transmission.
Tools work well.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 08:12 PM

Oh, maybe that's why it's always been so difficult...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I posted this same question on the Ford tranny forum. Through private email, I received a response from a guy who makes his own tranny and axle rebuild videos. He gave me a link to his website.

http://www.badshoeproductions.com/index.html

It appears this guy is a supporter of that forum and I like to support the 'supporters' when I can .

Anyways, after looking everything over, I went ahead and bought one of his video's off Ebay (from him). I like that he personally contacted me too(even if it was through email).

If this C6 video works out, I'll be buying the 8.8 video also. Transmissions and axles are the only things I pay other people to do for me. And since I don't know anybody who messes with them, I wondered how I'd learn to work on them. Hopefully, this is the answer to 'rounding out' my mechanical abilities.

Ok, I'm blabbering again.

I'll let you guys know how the video is.

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 11:45 PM

I picked up one the "badshoe production" videos a while back, he may not win points for acting but he certainly gives a clear and concise view of how to break down a C6, check and rebuild it and how to modify it. A thumbs up for this one.

John.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 12:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Ken Collins from "Badshoe Productions" puts out an excellent video. I have personally bought his 8.8 rebuild DVD, and have done 9 rebuilds on Crown Vics and Town Cars. I also bought the 9 inch rebuild DVD, but haven't tore mine apart yet to try it. He makes it look very easy to do, and after doing the 8.8, the 9 inch looks like a piece of cake. I'm sure his C6 how to, is just as informative and "back yard mechanic" friendly as his other videos. The best part about his videos, is that he shows you how to do things an alternative way, without the expensive OTC Ford tools. The most expensive thing I had to buy for the 8.8 rebuilds, was the inch/lb torque wrench, to set the pinion bearing pre-load. I lucked out on ebay, and picked up one like brand new, for $80. I've more than made that money back, from "donations" doing the other rebuilds of friends, after I did mine.

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Wow, time flys!

I got the video a couple weeks ago and am very impressed with it. Since last week was spring break for me, I had time for the rebuild.

I could have knocked considerable time off the rebuild if I had a tv and dvd player in my garage . I would watch one step...then go out in the garage and do it....then come back in and push the play button again...

I will know if the tranny works later today. I am going to go home and clean the tranny cooler lines and install the driveline and it's ready to start.

Whether this tranny does or does not work right, I am NEVER paying anybody to do a performance build for me again! There is no way that those parts were so worn out in the 1500 miles since it was last rebuilt. Sheesh! Some of those parts shouldn't have back in a stock tranny! And the tranny shop knew my motor wasn't stock!!!
<end rant>

Anyways, I'll let you guys know. I highly recommend these videos though!

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

It's been about two months since I last posted on this subject. The first rebuild didn't work right. I had extremely high tranny temps (around 260*) and it slipped. I probably put about 15 miles on the tranny before parking it again. At least the car moved under its own power though!

Fast forward about two months...
I pulled the tranny and disassembled it. The shifter cable was loose!!! I seen where the 2nd gear drum was slipping on the drum and that drum (the direct?) had clutches that were warped and burned. Everything else looked good.

I had help with the tranny this time. A guy from a local forum came over and guided me. He found two problems with the tranny--

1) I used a lip seal when I shoudn't have. The video used the lip seal and I just followed right along :roll: .
2) My valve body has an internal detent AND the tranny had an external detent. I had two seperate detents.

Upon putting the tranny back in the car, I decided to ditch the external tranny filter.

I haven't figured out the tranny temp gauge yet...Nevertheless, the tranny seems to be working very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be taking it to the strip this Friday .

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:08 PM

WOW it amazes me that some people have others do their work cuz they think it is hard. I say it comes apart one way and goes back together one way, I build all my own stuff from Automatics to narrowing rear ends and setting up the gears, I built my car completely from one end to the other. The only thing I don't have access to is the machines for the engine work, but if I had access to those I would even do that. I love to do this kinda stuff it is a challenge, I hate it when someone tells me I can't do something mechanical makes me go out and do it just to do it and feels so good. When I started building my first hotrod in the late 60's my father was a Mechanic, and told me you build it and you will work on it cuz he wasn't so I had to learn everything fast cuz stuff broke when I started building power :shock:
I think if you have a fast car you need to know how to work on everything you have in it that way you don't have to depend on someone elses mistakes.

have a nice day
Randy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JD466
I had used the video from the guy from badshoe productions and my trans has been going strong for 3 years now. I had never been inside a trans before. I also had gotten his video for the 8.8 rear end and the same great results. Its just a matter of payiny attention to details.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969
I think if you have a fast car you need to know how to work on everything you have in it that way you don't have to depend on someone elses mistakes.
Randy

9 times out of 10, I am the cause of my car's problems. :?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in