Summit's "free" shipping.....Hummmm. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Summit's "free" shipping.....Hummmm.

Has anyone else noticed how expensive Summit's (cough) "handling fee" has become over time? It's funny how they point out that they have "free shipping", and then at the same time charge a chunk for "handling fees".

I ordered 20 self ejecting Dzus buttons the other day, (two small bags of 10 each), and while they didn't charge for "shipping" they did charge a $9.50 "handling fee".

Am I right or wrong in thinking that almost $10 bucks is an excessive amount to charge for putting two small packages into a small box?? Any opinions?

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Getting Handled?

Jegs tacks on the same type of Fee , You have to consolidate orders more these days or buy it Uptown and take it home the same day. SAME DAY AIR, I'm sure it coming!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:43 AM

They all add it. Well, at least most of the companies that advertise free shipping. I've seen the cost vary, but lately it seems to be $6-10.

One way to save a little more from Summit. If you have an NHRA or IHRA license you need to contact them about their "Pro-Shop" You send a copy of license and a pic of your car. They give you a special ph # and customer # and you get discounts. I placed an order last week for some small parts, dist gear, MSD rotor, gaskets etc. The Pro-Shop saved me about $25 on a $130 order. It's not a set percentage, there is a different discount on each item. I still had to pay the $9.50 "handling charge though.

David Cole

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to RyanJ
The $9.50 handling charge never bothers me, as being in central PA their free shipping gets to me the very next day. I can place an order at 4 o'clock in the afternoon and I have my parts by 2:00 the next day!

1975 Ford Elite
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...lite_small.jpg
  • Factory 460, work-in-progress...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:32 AM

well i am lucky summit just opened a new warehouse close to me so i can take a saturday drive and get my parts and have them now.. still about 100 mile drive though
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 AM

I dont worry about the handling charge, I usually order a bunch of stuff at a time so it ends up costing less than having sales tax..

68 coupe, 557+glide...
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
84 Gt 'vert, 95 engine, AFR 165's, stock cam, performer with 600 holley
[email protected] in the AZ summer heat
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Forum Contributor

Ordering a small item, and the handling fee is more than the item, is a pain, but on the other end, I ordered 1257.00 on one order this year and paid one handling fee for 4 boxes of merchandise and no sales tax.
The tax alone would have been over 75.00

David,

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

1977 F-150 4X4 SWB
Mud/Dirt drags.
460 + ?
4.5 Bore X ?

and who cares,
if your winning your cheating, just ask the
bowtie guys
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Them guys aint stupid . Making more on the handling charge that the item sold is a real good biz model...for them .
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Don't forget

Don't forget how they can punish BBF owners. Eagle SIR rods @ 369 from Summit and 275 from my local backwoods machinist. My last 460 rebuild ( I ordered every possible internal part from The Shop) seemed a little steep, so I got out the Summit catalog and he still kicked their butts by over a hundred bucks. JMHO.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

More Dzus buttons.

I ordered 22 more Dzus buttons, but got them from A.R.T. this time because Summit didn't have them in .400" long.

A.R.T only charged $9.12 for the shipping ......and no handling fee. Summit can try to look like your buddy & claim the "no shipping charges" spin-doctor thing all the want, but charging a handling fee instead sure looks like the same thing.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
I have been ordering from Jegs lately cuz of their 2 day shipping. Like others I wait until I need to order a few things instead of just ordering one piece but when u need a $6 item it sure sucks. I once ordered $200.00 worth of fittings from Earls to cut my cost/item down some ( it wasn't supposed to get that high but it did..LOL).
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 10:32 AM

You just have to look at what your buying from them, and buying little stuff will cost you more with the "handling charge" I mean if your buying say an aircleaner and they want $35 for it but you can get it at your local dealer for $42 guess which one is hte better deal. The handling charge is not so bad when ordering a bunch of stuff like all the bearings, rings, gaskets etc to do a rebuild but for single items it will kill ya.
And on another note expecially with our BBF stuff look to the guys on this board expecially with high dollar parts, I got my heads from Lem and even paying the actual shipping from him it was still saving my almost $100. sometimes it just plain worth the phone call to guys like Lem or Brian and see where they are at and IMHO I would rather pay the same amount or even a little more (now Lem this doesn't mean a lot ) and have the money go to someone that is actually helpful, and has great customer service and trying to make a living than to some facelss huge corperation that has an overpaid CEO that probably doesn't know a distributor from a set of thigh high pumps.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 11:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
You just have to look at what your buying from them, and buying little stuff will cost you more with the "handling charge" I mean if your buying say an aircleaner and they want $35 for it but you can get it at your local dealer for $42 guess which one is hte better deal. The handling charge is not so bad when ordering a bunch of stuff like all the bearings, rings, gaskets etc to do a rebuild but for single items it will kill ya.
Quoted for Truth!!

I'm a warehouse manager for an independent pharmacy chain. Some companies charge a flat rate for shipping.. You save up until you have a big order, then order. Obviously you needed the clips quickly so, that's the price you pay. I usually manage to get a friend or two to tag along and we can split the handling, if I REALLY need something.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 07:21 PM

That's part of the reason I buy everything from Lane Automotive, no "handling fees" just the UPS charge, they're prices are right inline with Summit and Jegs too. As a bonus the shipping time to me is only one day.

67 Pro Street Fastback
Full tube chassis, IHRA & NHRA certified
526 c.i. C & C Boss 429 Hemi
Littlefield 14-71 High Helix Retro, Kobelco K-9 rotors, 22% over
Enderle alcohol inj.
MSD-10 Plus ignition & controller
C6 trans
9" rear, 3.89 gear
Full exhaust with 6" hand made mufflers
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67stang1
That's part of the reason I buy everything from Lane Automotive, no "handling fees" just the UPS charge, they're prices are right inline with Summit and Jegs too. As a bonus the shipping time to me is only one day.
UPS fees to me from them would be atrocious. :?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in