Want to build up my C-4 What is anybody using? how much hp? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Want to build up my C-4 What is anybody using? how much hp?

Just got bumped to 12hr weeks 8 hr saturdays at my job, time to buy some internals for my C-4 so it can take 700 hp I've looked at Coan, PA, ATI and Broader Performance. I have about $500 budgeted for parts and I'll probably sell the A-1 low planetary gear set that's installed in it . I doubt those will get along with big tires and nitrous oxide.

What do I need, fwiw I bought a PA servo and plan on buying their input shaft. Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:58 PM

HI, IF I WHERE YOU I WOULD BE GETTING RID OF THE C-4 WILL NOT BE VERY RELIABLE TRYING TO COPE WITH BIG TYRES, NITROUS.
BIG BLOCK OR SMALL BLOCK?
DO YOU HAVE TO RUN A THREE SPEED?
POWERGLIDE A MUCH BETTER OPTION.

THEO
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I just built mine using P.A parts,input shaft and power planet set. Alto 6 clutch top gear,full roller bearings.Have a read on the c4 forum over at fordmuscle if you avent seen it already.Plenty of info there.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So many haters on this forum. The C4 can be built to handle 700hp easily. I built mine to PA's specs. for about $450.

You will find links to the best places to buy from on the forum Gregg mentioned.

I will add BigB Auto for the trans pan.

There was another place I found with cheapter bands/clutches I will try to find the name, the use a lighthouse for their symbol.

You can usually get a C-Servo off of E-bay for cheap.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

After my C6 died with less than 2,000 street miles since it's rebuild, I was going to swap to a C4. I call a few places, but was told the C4 can't handle 700 hp and a 3,300 lb car.

I found this odd because I know plenty of people are running them with BBF.

Can you go into more detail of your build?

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ford Muscle's C4 forum has it all, but PA will answer many questions themselves if you buy something from them. I found they have the best price on hardened input shafts. As far as questions Greg can answer much more than me.

You can rollerize it for extra hp and hp handling this kit cost around $300 from PA I did not do it

Pump mod, proper tolerances, red clutches, housing mod, C-servo, big pan, Kevlar bands, Kolene steels, Trans-Go kit, etc.

I have seen and know people that run C-4's in some well built and heavy cars with no problems, despite all of those on here that say they are junk.

I ran a STOCK un-altered junk yard C4 on an engine making over 400hp for at least 75 runs before it failed and it was from a truck with over 100,000 miles. A C6 could have just as easily failed since it was a piece from the scrap heap.

My rebuilt C4 with red clutches, shift kit, and H-servo and no other mods lasted well over 100 runs with no problems on an estimated 480HP with a 4500 stall. I rebuilt it once just for good measure but it had little wear.

The idea that a powerglide is cheaper is BULL. Sure they can be built stronger but it costs $$$$ not $$$. And the C6 can stay in a junk pile as far as I am concerned.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

I checked out the C-4 forum at FordMuscle.com and that is an excellent place to go for info. I talked with a few companies and have everything sorted out as far as what will work with my budget and what I want to try. Jay at Broader Performance was very helpful and I think I'm going to go with them on most of the parts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Glad I pulled the transmission...

A-1 low gear planetary TOAST high gear clutches TOAST and the bands were starting to look like [email protected]%t. The planetary barely turns by hand, I can't belive it didn't break and who knows how much hp it was eating due to friction. I feel bad I ruined them behind my 466 they would've been perfect for a smallblock car. l don't regret using a C-4 and we're impressed the gear set didn't break. For the rebuild I've bought every internal component that's available rollerized and I've stepped up to much better clutches and bands.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The engine pic at the top of the page is Mr. Greg Cook's 557 cu.in stroker with NOS. He runs a PA built C4 behind it, and its all packaged nicely into a full size 1963 Ford Galaxie.....not exactly the lightest Ford car ever built!....and it runs 9's with the front tires off the ground at launch!
Between the weight and the engine power of Mr. Cook's car, I'd say the "fragile" little C4 is holding up nicely! :P

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 PM

We have a PA c-4 that has handled our bbf, it made 740 to the rear tires, weighs 3200lbs. We are contemplating going to a powerglide to calm the car down(10.5" tires), but durability is not the problem. The c-4 is capable of handling alot of hp.

[email protected] in the 1/8
3100lbs, true 29\10.5
Homegrown HP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxvD5..._order&list=UL
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

In case I'm being misunderstood, I'm in no way questioning the durability of the C-4 behind a big block, I had the choice of either the C-6 or a C-4 and choose the 4.
FWIW, at first I wanted to keep the FMX that was in the car originally just to be really different, but at the time I wasn't aware of anyone who had the knowledge to make one live in a 600-700 application. I've since heard of die hards who run them behind fairly stout FE stroker motors. Thanks jpeirce for turning me onto the C-4 forum at FordMuscle.com and to everyone else who offered input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in