Using cometic gasket on a head previously cut for lockwires. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Using cometic gasket on a head previously cut for lockwires.

This is a small block application. Heads were previously cut for lockwires and are now going to be surfaced, which will require the lock-wire grooves to be re-cut if we retain the lockwire gaskets.

Has anyone tried running a cometic gasket on a set of heads that were previously cut for lock-wires? In other words, no lockwire...but the groove remains, and now you're using a cometic gasket.

My gut feeling is it would work fine, but that groove is there...and I'm not certain what it might do, so please chime in.

Byron

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:20 PM

Oring Heads

Give Scott The Mad Porter A ring on this one couple of different ways you can go. Gregg
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 05:29 PM

Byron, you can contact David Willingham about what he did on his A460 block. I think he filled the receiver grooves with copper wire and just sanded them down flush.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Yes, that is correct. I don't know how it would work on the aluminum grooves because of expansion and all that, but it's worth a shot. I bought soft copper wire from McMaster-Carr and hammered it into the groove with a piece of aluminum as to keep from damaging the block. Then I used a rough file to smooth it down close. I switched to a mill-bastard file and got it real close. Then I built a thick aluminum block wider than the deck and put handles on it. I used double-sided tape to hold sandpaper sheets on and hand sanded the deck to a super-slick finish. It took 11 hours for the whole process, but I'm glad I done it. I think with the head gasket technology we have now, copper O-rings are a thing of the past. SCE just came out with a nice design that uses a steel ring in-between a metal sandwich. Combustion pressure actually pushes on the ring and makes it seal better. If I ever have a problem with the Cometics, I'm going to try those.

David

David Willingham
Advanced Motorsports Engineering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in