Does anyone make 90* steering boxes? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone make 90* steering boxes?

I can't get my steering shaft thru the drysump pump and headers and maintain a good steering column angle, so I'm going to have to go up and over the motor plate. I can do this by pointing the rack up and using 3-4 universal joints. A better way would be two 90* boxes. Does anyone make such a thing for this purpose?

Thanks,
David

David Willingham
Advanced Motorsports Engineering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 PM

David , you might be able to use something from the aircraft industry. I'll see what I can find out at work.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Steering.

You might look into the dirt track stuff for some kind of an offset steering setup.

Instead of going up and over the motor plate, can you cut a hole in the plate and run the steering shaft through the plate?

I think 3 steering joints is about the max I would try. With three you would need to be sure and use some kind of support/bushings for the center shafts to prevent wobble.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 06:55 PM

Search for...

Search for Right angle gear box or 90deg gear box on ebay or on google...They aren't cheap, but they exist.

They also make a steering shaft that works like a gigantic speedometer cable...seen that? I'm not sure where to find it, but I've seen it at a show.

How about a double u-joint junction? You can do up to 70deg of angle with one of those. http://www.streetrodz.com/steering_accessories.htm

If you can't make a connection with two of those babys and a couple bearing supports, something is very wrong.

I think a U-joint solution is going to end up a lot simpler, lighter, and cheaper in the end...even if it takes 3-4 joints and some creativity to make it happen.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

The main problems are the fact that the engine is all the way back against the firewall and the rack is a Stiletto billet rack. The rack doesn't have any angle on the pinion shaft. The headers are 2.375-2.500 stepped headers and take up some room. I think the best thing is to point the rack up and use an Apex joint there. Then add another one up towards the top of the motorplate, and then a last joint to get the shaft lined up with my chest. I have two joints now and will just have to buy one more. I also have a double-joint my Dad gave me off some military stuff. I might can design it where I only have to use one support bushing.

David Willingham
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Think. Think really hard! What would NASA do? :?:

Just harassing you!

Charlie Evans
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:28 AM

steering

David do you have a link to some pics of the truck so we can get a better idea of how far off-set the angles are?

The flexible type steering shaft Byron mentioned is OK for street use (some Pinto's had them) but isn't legal for NHRA use in a faster car like David's truck, you have to use some kind of u-joint in that application.

All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/731461

Pages 6-9 have some various pictures from last year before I got my new Peterson 5 stage. As you can see on pages 6 and 9, the steering shaft looks pretty good going under the headers, but now there is a mass of pump and hoses in that area and the headers are bigger. Now the shaft needs to go up and over. The motorplate is the same. You can also see how the steering column is too steep and angled out making it feel weird to drive. I'll take some pics tonight and try to figure out how to post them.

David Willingham
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 03:46 AM

Steering.

Now I get what your talking about David, I had forgot how high a truck's cab sits and how upright your seating position would be.

The Stiletto box is a better fit in a car with a narrower main frame rail spacing because it makes it easier for the steering shaft to clear the front motorplate's uprights. It also fits better in a narrow body because the driver sits a little closer to the centerline of the car.

Insted of moving/running the steering shaft up-and-over the top of the front motorplate & headers, (which will create a steep operating angle for the U-joint), can the shaft go between some of the header tubes? [pic]

If you have the room to run the shaft between some of the header tubes, you will have to use another brand of U-joint other that the Apex because of header heat & Apex's dust boot.

When viewed from the top, is the steering column parallel with the cars centerline? If so you can point the front of it a little to the dr. side or pass. side to help with clearing stuff and it woun't mess with the steering "feel" too much.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics DILLIGAS, how did you get them to show up? I tried once and it wanted to link the whole page, instead of just one pic. Anyway, left out of the picture is the 5-stage drysump pump with the alky pump on back. They are under the header right where you have the proposed steering shaft lines going thru. I'll get some new pics after while. I have to try to get my fuel system from the guy has had it for 6 weeks and won't return my calls. I need to make sure I can get the alky pump and lines under the header.

Thanks,
David

David Willingham
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bbstickstang
i just saw this product in "street thunder"

its called steer clear and it looks like an offset drive for steering its made by Wizard Fabrication.www.wizardfab.com 916-736-0110 it was in www.streetmachineclub.com this month on page 53 under sema new products .maybe this will help Ron

[email protected] New best, 1.31 60', 12-5-15 All Muscle and No Steroids!
69fb mustang ,509,Liberty Equalizer,5.29 ,31x10.5 w ,3309 w/driver.
I get to feel the torque of a BBF 4 times an 1/8 and 5 times a 1/4.
www.classicgearjammers.org
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:43 PM

You should be able to insert any single pic you want, (and not the whole page) from your site, as long as you put the image tags at each end of the pic address.

If you rotate the Stiletto rack up to to get the steering up-over the motorplate, don't forget to check the rack's pivot points for binding during suspension travel and turning.

Because the Stiletto racks pivot points are a clevis & rod-end type joint vs the pinto racks ball/socket joint, there might be some binding if you rotate it too far.

It would be alot more work but using a pinto rack instead, and changing the headers some to clear better might get the steering at the height you want with better angles.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:24 AM

Re: Search for...

[quote="ByronRACE"]
...They also make a steering shaft that works like a gigantic speedometer cable...seen that? I'm not sure where to find it, but I've seen it at a show....
quote]

Byron if you or anyone else reading this figures out where to get the flexible shaft material you are talking about let me know. I'm using a similar deal from an early pinto on my BBTurboCoupe (works sweet), and would like to be able to fabricate a few more. I do realize the NHRA rule (which is kind of silly) but it sure works great for threading a steering shaft between header tubes in tight clearances.

Bob Meyer
www.BIGBLOCKFOX.com
'69 Mach1 390 4-spd, '64 Falcon Futura
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I have been busy on my side work to pay for the truck. I'll have a break soon and will iron out the details then. As far as the flex shaft goes, one probably failed 20 years ago on some old POS car with a cheap flex unit stick-welded on. Someone probably makes a unit now that works great.

David

David Willingham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in