Ultima batteries - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
Ultima batteries

The battery in my 56 quit tonight so I went to check out some Ultima batteries. Pep boys has both red and yellow top. The yellow tops are supposed to have way more reserve capacity for big stereos etc which I was interested in because of my electric fans, tranny fan, fuel pump etc. There seems to be a big difference in cost from red to yellow. So I went to the website

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...cal_specs.html

and the reserve capacity on the yellow top is 120 instead of 110. I don't see this as a huge difference so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. It is a street car and one day it will have a stereo in it. Like I mentioned I already have an electric fan on the rad and the remote tranny cooler plus an electric fuel pump.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I use an Optima yellow top in the bronco, its the only battery I will ever have from now on. I have elec fuel pump, fan, trans brake, trans cooler fan, waterpump, I run a regular GM 1 wire alt, I have never had a problem with it. I usually don't even need a charge between rounds, even when I cycle the wp and fan while the bronco is not running. I also had one in my trailer, used it to winch my altered in for the whole year, never charged it. Took it out the next spring after sitting all winter, put it in the bronco, fired right up. You won't be sorry buying the yellow top.

Big Broncos for life!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Both our race car/hot rods have Optima Reds. I was under the impression that the yellow is more of a deep cycle type of battery. Anyway, both cars have electric fuel pumps, dual electric fans, high powered ignition systems, etc. and we never have problems with the batteries. Good alternators on both also. A deep cycel would be good if you have a trunk full of boom box and like to sit and rock out without the engine running, but they aren't designed to give the big amp surge required to start cold engines in winter or high compression stuff.

1967 Falcon 4 door
Owner built, owner abused.
http://raceabilene.com/misc/hisnherspic.jpg

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 2 ultimas in my car and I love them for the fact that NOW I don't have to worry about the lead panels flexing when I launch the car and going bad after half a season. I also like the fact that I don't have acid in my car so if anything happens I don't have to worry about that also..

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in