Parachute Questions - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Parachute Questions

I will have to put a parachute on my wife's car (in the avatar). IT weighs 3500# and should run about 150mph in the 1/4 and about 120 in the 1/8. Most of the time the car will be on the 1/8 mile.

Questions
1) Will I have to run two chutes for a car this massive going this fast
2) Should I go with a spring assisted launcher since most of the time she will be on 1/8 mile tracks at lower mph.
3) Any other helpful ideas or other info that would be helpful

if interested project pix are here
http://web.wt.net/~kss/69%20drag%20pics
and here
http://web.wt.net/~kss/69updates

Faster cars, running tractors, and rain in TX - I can dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think one chute would be enough, but call Stroud and ask them. They will tell you exactly what you need and they are the best. You need either the spring assist or air launcher.

David

David Willingham
Advanced Motorsports Engineering
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 PM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I agree you should call Stroud. They are very easy to pack.One person can do it. Also here is my two cents on their launchers. Both the spring & air cost the same. I have the spring launcher & it works great. But it takes two people to compress the spring & put the rod through the can. My engine builder has the air launcher & it is the set up. He has a toggle switch to arm the system so when you need to pack the chute, flip the switch & it takes the tension off the pack. Flip the switch back after packing & you are ready to go. Only down side(it aint much) is that you need a C02 bottle & lines.If I had it to do again, I would go with the air launcher.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My two cents on chutes, If you are doing this just to meet the rules but will not use it all the time,buy the cheapest you car find. If you are going to use it all the time buy a Stroud. At your speed a reg pilot chute will be fine. When you use it pull it before the finish line and drive in to it. We use a duel stroud set up with the pilot chutes and they get a work out. The chutes hit just past the finish line. Be sure the car brake system is set up very good. If wait till you neeed a chute to save you its too late. If you do go with Stroud Call them first. Very good people to deal with. We also run stroud belts and windrow net. Do not leave them pack up all the time. The only time ours are pack is at the track.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers They are very helpful. It looks like I will be going with a Stroud chute as they seem to be the most knowledgable and also seem to have a good following on this board. I will also have a launcher, but need to decide between spring and gas. I will look at some cars at the track and determine how much effort and money is involved in both.

The chute will probably only be used every other outing (just to use it, make sure it works and have the wife get used to it). I hope the design of the braking system will be adequate so the chute will be used only in an emergency.

Thanks again for all the info. I have been racing and playing with 11/12 second cars for a time, but this is my first REAL hot rod.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Relentless460

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Parachute Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE_rex
I will have to put a parachute on my wife's car (in the avatar). IT weighs 3500# and should run about 150mph in the 1/4 and about 120 in the 1/8. Most of the time the car will be on the 1/8 mile.
Now that you have some opinions on which brand of chute, maybe you can tell me what combo/hp your wife is going to have. At 3500pds, your going to need some serious Hp to run 150mph. :lol: :lol: :lol:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

shute

shtoud chute on my works all the time ,
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Re: Parachute Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless460
Now that you have some opinions on which brand of chute, maybe you can tell me what combo/hp your wife is going to have. At 3500pds, your going to need some serious Hp to run 150mph. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here's the sheet
http://web.wt.net/~kss/69updates/sucess.JPG

A460 heads, block billet cam, ross piston, eagle rods with good bolts, A460 new style intake, 1050 HP carb. Basically little or no tuning on the carb other than jet changes. You can se the air was pretty bad 58% Humidy 90F. Have a t400 (here come the flames) tranny and will have a 4.30 gear (now a 4.88 ).

It's just a 429 :twisted:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

chute

If room isn't a problem, either spring or air launcher is a good idea. The spring type launcher will take up some more room than the air style does.

A chute launchers best selling point is that your less likely to dump the chute down and get tangled in the wheelie bars.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in