Spring rate - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
RCJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spring rate

I am building a 66 fairlane with a mustang II front supension.It will be a drag car with an aluimium head 460 that must wiegh 3450.What rate coil over spring will I need and any ideals on shock valving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There are formulas to find spring rate. But you need the cars actual weight, plus the front/rear weight ratio.

Also the spring rate will partly depend on HOW the coil over shocks are mounted. On a coil over/A-arm front suspension, how close to the front spindle the shock is installed/mounted on the bottom control arm effects spring rate. Closer to the spindle will reduce (some) the needed spring rate. Farther away needs more spring rate.

Same thing goes for the rear suspension. The farther away from the rear suspension's pivot point (I.C.) the coil over shock is mounted, (in front, over the top, or behind the housing) the less the required spring rate will be.

If you are looking for Koni's on epay, racejunk (etc) and want a "drag racing" valved Koni, be sure to ask if the shock has "SPA-1" on them. Road racing or dirt car valved shocks don't work well on a drag car.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Measure the angle of the spring relative the the ground. Alternatively, provide the horizontal and vertical measurements of the top and bottom spring purchases.

Measure the how far the distance from the center of the tire that a strightline through the center of the spring would be when it intersected the ground.

Determine how much sprung weight will be on each corner (weight minus the weight of the unsprung portions, such as brakes, wheels and tires). Email all this data to me and I will give you my answer. While my answer might be better for road aracing than for drag racing, I think it should be in the ball park.

Best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in