carbonfiber driveshafts - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

carbonfiber driveshafts

Is anyone using one with 4 sp. trans?What are pros and cons? I broke my rear case and bent drive shaft. So I need to upgade my drivetrain. Also what rear case? I thinking Strange ulta case or would the nodular case be better.My car is 68 mustang fb. car wt.3400 lb. motor 521. thanks Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I don't think a carbon fiber driveshaft is a good idea in a car that heavy (drag or street driven). If you want a reliable driveshaft, It's hard to beat a 'moly driveshaft from a quality supplier like Mark Williams.

Mark Williams, Strange, & Moser all make good usable center sections & pinion supports (and other needed componets). Exactly what is best for your car & what you will need depends on what the car will be used for.

9310 nickel "pro gears" are great for high impact applications, but will wear quickly when used on the street. 8620 "street" gears are great for street driving, but don't handle shock loads as well as the 9310's. The 8620's might break in a clutch (or transbrake) car with some power that hooks hard.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave for your reply. My car is a drag car . It has 10 point cage& backhalfed with 4link and coilovers. The car hooks very hard. I don't have any 60 ft. times with this motor, but with old motor (350 H.P.) they were 1.6s,1/4 mile was [email protected] I just thought the carbonshaft would help reduce drivetrain shock,but wasn't shore how it holdup in a heavy 4sp. car. Thanks Lee

P.S. New Cobo 521 c.b.i,c9heads mild porting,219 intake,175 ext. cam, [email protected] ,270in. 276 ex. lift,in.665,ex.642. Intake air gap,850 carb.17/8 headers

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bbstickstang
i run a 5sp stick in mine

i've ran a stick in mine for 15 years,FE power though,and once i went through the learning curve which took a couple of years ,i have been happy with racing it .i upgraded parts as they broke.i have a HRM center section w/billet caps,strange 35 spline spool,moser 35 spline axles,big web housing with back brace ,daytona pinion support ,street richmond 4.56 gear(lasts about 60 passes),1330 joints and yokes ,but will up grade to 1350 before the 385 goes in .25 years old nash 4+1 trans that has only broke one time.i would guess it has about 1000 passes on it .my car is a 69 fb with 10.5W x 31 and has run 1.39 in 60 ft. it weighs 3220 with me in it .my advice ,if your going to run stick buy quality parts ,shifter (no $100 specials),clutch from a maker that caters to super stockers,racing trans ,jerico,g force,liberty,and of course safty stuff ,flywheel,scattersheild,driveshaft loop.PRO's unlimited stall speed(very adjustable),great gear selection(keep motor in narrow power band )more time at max HP.alter ET by shift points,in house maintence,.just my thoughts . ron

[email protected] New best, 1.31 60', 12-5-15 All Muscle and No Steroids!
69fb mustang ,509,Liberty Equalizer,5.29 ,31x10.5 w ,3309 w/driver.
I get to feel the torque of a BBF 4 times an 1/8 and 5 times a 1/4.
www.classicgearjammers.org
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Ron, I had all good parts,ram clutch,centerforce flywheel,lakewood bellhousing,toploader,denny's shaft,strange 31 spline spool,strange axles,but dummy me thought I could getway with stock case. Thanks Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in