Playback Tachs- Are they worth it? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Playback Tachs- Are they worth it?

Playback tachs, do they work and are they reliable or just get the playback box and hook it to my existing tach? Or bite the bullet and get an Edelbrock Quik Data?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 01:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gearhead559 Send a message via Yahoo to Gearhead559
tach =500
paying for the code to use a laptop =100

still using the tack it self , can be a big help..

the the laptop setup is the ****, you can save all your runs, and then log them!!!

The heartbeat stops here!
I bleed blue oval blue, and **** hugger orange!
www.gearheadzautomotive.com
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...sigpiccopy.jpg
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 AM

The play back tach I have is also for checking the drive shaft speed and that for me is going to tell me when my converter is going away. I think they are worth it and from what Autometer said they never mentioned any thing about costing you any more, the guy I spoke with said when I got everything set up all I had to do is call and they will give me the code to download it to my laptop and it would be set..

Randy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 AM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I used the Autometer Ultimate playback tach in my old car & it was worth every dime. The new ones with dual channels(engine & drive shaft) should be even better. If you want to bite the bullet & go with a data logger, I highly recommend the Racepak V300. It is an awesome system & what I like about it better than the other set ups is that it is a modular system. Instead of having individual wires for every sensor going to the logger, you have four wires (analog,digital,power, v-net) that plug into the logger. Then everything just plugs in line so you still have just those 4 cables coming back to the logger. Plus they have their V-net guages that work off of any sensor you have installed so you don't have to have two sensors to have a guage. I don't know how far you have researched data loggers but call & ask questions. The logger is cheap. It is when you start adding sensors that adds up. That is why the V300 is nice. It is modular by design so it makes it super simple to add sensors at a later date. Data loggers are the ultimate but if they are out of your price range, I would go with the dual channel play back tach. You have to buy a tach anyway. I will say this, my V300 has payed for it's self. It has alerted me to problems that would have had me scratching my head. It is a good investment.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 AM

Mine is dual channel. It's nice to be able to tell the difference between wheelspin and driveline slip, especially since my car tends to spin a little at the big end. The wheelspin is sometimes kind of subtle, but this tach pinpoints it.

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in