Got Dash? Update 5/26 (lotsofpics) - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
Got Dash? Update 5/26 (lotsofpics)

The AC removal continues... I finally got *all* of it out.

I lucked out.. the flange faces inside the car.. so I can just bolt on a piece of metal over the two holes. Even better, I now have two large holes that I can put some grommets and feed wires through.. much better than feeding wires out the power window door wiring tubes to the front. :roll:

FYI. Everything together, underdash + underhood A/C weighed 160 lbs +/- my bathroom scale. The only thing I didn't weigh was the actual control unit. I think the piece I'm putting back weighs around 30 lbs, so this should be quite nice.

Anyone interested in a full auto-temp A/C setup for their 72-79 Torino/Elite/Ranchero/Montego/Cougar/LTD II? :lol:

Also. I'm thinking of dynamatting (well, fattmat) that cowl panel area. Should I even bother?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:54 PM

Cowl

Cut that puppy out lots of weight there. Gregg
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have a non a/c setup I'm putting back..

should be 35 lbs total. :lol:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Reassembly begins. I got the non A/C box in the car. I had to grind a bit on that bracket to the side of the gas pedal (the pre 77 cars don't have that). I also had to cut the heater vent on the base to clear that bracket.. no biggie. The fun part was locating the 3 holes for the heater box bolts, AND the fan motor, AND the heater hoses.. somehow I managed to get all the holes cut, first shot.
Yes, that white panel is from my old washing machine. That flat filler panel will be seamed and body color once all is said and done.

Now the fun part.. the drivers side vent. That involves cutting and welding this piece into my Cougar.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Around 6 PM last night, I almost quit, after breaking 2 sawzall blades... I forced myself to continue, and got the piece I need out of my Elite. The second pic shows the piece.. I POR 15'd it.

This little hole allows air to come through the cowl into the drivers vent on the dash. If you simply cut a hole, water would pour into the cabin when it rains, a la my Cavalier did when I first got it :lol: . Hence, the bowl that Ford has. The third pic shows the neat little hole I cut into the Cougar, that I can weld this plate with the bowl-opening into.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Update 5/26

Doo de doo.. Continuing..
I picked up some "non" A/C controls.. which for the 77-79 are hard to find. You can see how rusty they are. Interesting that Ford went from metal to plastic housings in 77 for the HVAC controls (the metal units are 3x as heavy). (pictured are a/c and non a/c for a 77-79 and non a/c for a 72-76)

Of course, the controls were SEIZED solid. I stripped them down, removing the sliders, wiring, and hardware, and swapped the sliders from the 76 non a/c controls.

Incidentally, the 76 non a/c controls were a set I picked up NOS on eBay for $20, so I have new sliders, switches, and hardware. Physically, they interchange.. go figure.

Some quick work with a paint pen and some cleaner made the 77-79 controls look perfect ( 77-79 on left, 72-76 on the right).. I think the 77-79 looks better.. hence, I used those.

Then, I installed them..

Voila.. the transformation from A/C to Non A/C is visually complete. Now it's just paint my steering column, reinstall the gauges, and go! On an unrelated note... I found that Fomoco used THREE styles of knobs on these sliders. Sheesh.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
Damn, more power to ya......thats more ripped apart than my mustang is.....i'm never gonna get mine done.....if i walked out and saw that i would have to shoot myself.......D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in