What is you power adder of choice? NOS, Blower, Turbo, NA? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

View Poll Results: What's your favorite power adder?
SuperCharger 3 13.64%
TurboCharger 6 27.27%
Nitrous 3 13.64%
Stroker NA 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is you power adder of choice? NOS, Blower, Turbo, NA?

What's you favorite power adder and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I like big cube strokers NA !

I just love the big cube strokers that are NA !

Something about a "all motor" combo that really appeals to me?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For 'all out' power, nothing, and I mean NOTHING even comes close to a turbocharger!!
2200 horsepowere'd small blocks cant be wrong!!
But for ease of instalation and price, its Nitrous Oxide for sure.....its the best "bang for the buck" out there....its cheaper than a stroker kit, and can make horsepower and torque that is equal to a supercharger.

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:02 PM

Re: I like big cube strokers NA !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRacer
I just love the big cube strokers that are NA !

Something about a "all motor" combo that really appeals to me?
that's right. no replacement for displacement! I remember a magazine article from back in the day on one of Kaase's BIGG motors, they had a quart jar of popcorn sitting on one of the pistons at bdc. It looked really small in there and that made a good impression on me.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:52 PM

Stroked and Nitrous

Strokers make big torque numbers and nitrous makes them even bigger.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:20 PM

turbos are king.

and if you have half a brain and a little bit of skill it doesnt have to cost a fortune
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:06 AM

Turbos, yes

I agree; Turbos are king if this is a power-only contest. Most efficient and lowest cost if you can fabricate and have room for the hot-side plumbing.

However...belt driven turbos (centrifugal superchargers) are a close second and my personal favorite. Why?

- You lose 2/3rds of the plumbing/fabricating requirement, especially the hot-side which can be especially problematic because it must be kept from wiring, plumbing, paint, etc.

-Centrifugals aren't as efficient because they take crank power to drive, but give some of that back in discharge temperature. The air they discharge isn't as hot because they don't spin as fast. Often times this means you don't need an intercooler.

- The boost-vs-rpm relationship is predictable and repeatable with the centrifugal blower. With a turbocharger, just how much boost you make at a specific rpm has to do with a lot more than engine rpm and can change depending on how the vehicle is being driven. This makes it harder to tune...especially on pump gas. Do you make 3psi or 15psi at 2000RPM? That depends on what you did to get there. Not so with a centrifugal...it's always the same head pressure versus rpm.

- Reliability. Assuming you aren't over-spinning a centrifugal supercharger and are using a well engineered brand, they last damn near forever. Turbos need maintenance. I'm not saying they're unreliable, but in my experience they need far more care than a centrifugal. Turbo-timers to keep them from coking bearings, seal replacements, cracked exhaust housings...etc.

The largest reason I didn't go turbo on my Cobra is because of the plumbing. It created a fabrication nightmare that would required more effort than I was willing to dish out. The concept sketches with the supercharger were twice as clean. And, honestly, the turbo only offered me more power and more heat...which was the last thing I need in this car. 500hp in a street Cobra is scary; 800-1000 is suicidal. Give me a turbo and I'd have died the test drive.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Same poll different results ?

I ask this same poll question at a another website ( local car guy groups site) I got VERY different poll results?

At the other site I was one of very few who selected "Stroker NA" as most of the guys picked Turbo......SuperCharger and NOS were pretty even split but, still way behind the Turbo......

Interesting but, I think it had to do with this site focusing on 460 BBFs and the other site was for every make of engine that included a lot of factory Turbod cars.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in