Heres the deal/challenge the ricers gave me.. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Heres the deal/challenge the ricers gave me..

Ok im "new" to big blocks and carbs, but ive been reading car craft since i was 15, so for 5 years now lol. I love old school tech and muscle cars, and feel im fairly knowledgeable with certain builds.

Recently I bought my first street machine. I have yet to put it on the road and dial it in and all, but some ricers and nay sayers on another forum are really pissing me off..

The engine is a 460, DOOE-R heads ( not sure if stock or not ), weiand tunnel ram, dual holley 660s, we are estimating about 11:1 compression, and a at least .700 lift cam with 280 duration. Its got hooker headers with 2" primaries, that are basically well.. straight. Obviously its a C6 tranny, with a non-locking convertor ( not sure of stall speed), its got a converted 9" rear with coil springs that are bagged. Thats pretty much the general run down. It also has nitrous brackets, but we think its mostly an NA motor that he used a small shot with.

So here is the challenge these guys offered me.

One said, he will give me a dollar for every horse it makes over 300. He drives a mitsubishi galant.

Another told me he will give me 200$ if I can run at least a 13.5 with it, even with my 11.5" Mickeys in the rear.. Dont get me wrong, I know testing and tuning the car is not fabulous and im not going to run the best time at first.. but still.

Am I just an idiot ? or will i make some money ? My estimations for crank power were anywhere from 450-700, only because we dont know exact specs except for the obvious.

The car needs major TLC, and a good tune and all around work.. Someone bypassed an accel coil on it as you will see in the pics. Dont get upset at me, this is how the previous owner left it.. i have cleaned it up alot since.. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...anchero003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...anchero001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...anchero005.jpg

:? thanks. I just figured hopefully someone on here has built something like this.. especially with tunnel ram, and it is odd on a big block except it would spread the power accross the higher band..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to merc460
Dude! You got CJ heads AND a .700 lift cam with 2 fours!!!!..... My guess in the condition it's in right now it will run in the 11's on the 1/4. LOL Yes you will make some bucks off them fools.
Stick around, read, learn and most of all....forget what you have read in that Ford hatin' magazine. You have found THE SOURCE for the 460 big block info.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Re: Heres the deal/challenge the ricers gave me..

I'm a boater and don't do much asphalt racing right now, but I can say that the Ranchero is somewhat heavy, and with not much of that weight on the rear wheels, so get some weight on the rear axle and lower the rear tire pressure for some more bite.

That being said, I still think you stand to make about $500, if not more. Get their pledges in writing! :mrgreen: I certainly hope that engine is a 460 and not a 429. Those heads are a little to sluggish off the line with the 429, and even the 460 will take a while to get up and go.

But if it's a 460 and you tune the engine fairly well and do some accelleration tests somewhere (do your test & tune), then I think you could get approx $300 from the "HP guy" and you will certainly get the $200 from the "13.5 in the quarter" guy. By the way, try to sweeten the deal with the latter individual, by saying something like, "Oh yeah? $200 for beating 13.5 in the quarter, huh? How about $200 for 13.5 in the quarter PLUS $10 for every tenth below that???" You ought to reap another $100 from the sucker.

You will be pleased to know that a recent customer of mine came to me and had some D0VE heads (not CJ's) ported, and he specified that he wanted a 12-second car. Well, his Cougar was in the 11's on his very first ever pass, and last I heard did an 11.37 with an ignition miss.

You will need the traction with the Ranchero and--due to the CJ heads--the torque of the 460. If you have this and do your test & tune, you stand to make some quick pocket money.

Paul

p.s. These engines LOVE tunnel rams and 660's!

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

I finally tracked down the owner that had this thing for 25 years.

its got manley rods, double springs and roller rockers, 12:1 pistons that had to be shaved for head clearance, unfortunately it has a .550" lift mechanical flat tappet. I def. Should switch over to hydraulic roller with bigger lift. the 9" rear has 4:11 posi too.

the C6 is built with a high stall torque convertor, but he didnt remember what speed.

But he said he would say its well over 500 hp.

he also said he was running like low 12s with it.. dont know how good of a driver or runs those were, but I see this combo of things running a high 11 ? then throw some nitrous at it..
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
Cool......just change those wheels out.............lol...D
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRanchero

its got manley rods, double springs and roller rockers, 12:1 pistons that had to be shaved for head clearance, unfortunately it has a .550" lift mechanical flat tappet. I def. Should switch over to hydraulic roller with bigger lift. the 9" rear has 4:11 posi too.

the C6 is built with a high stall torque convertor, but he didnt remember what speed.

he also said he was running like low 12s with it.. dont know how good of a driver or runs those were, but I see this combo of things running a high 11 ? then throw some nitrous at it..
You won't have any problems with torque with the CJ heads and Tunnel Ram.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Yeah one guy still says he will give me 200$ if i run better than a 13.5...

heres a happy discovery on the engine though

i should have it up and running this week, after flushing it out after the "water incident"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRanchero

Nothing wrong with the .550 mechanical flat tappet as long as it has decent duration. I run one in my foxbody and it goes 11.70s with a 3.08 gear and a C6 with a 4K stall. Leaves the line like a Cadillac (1.75 60'), great top end charge though lol.

Greg
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I agree...though the engine may make top end more power (way up high) with a bigger camshaft, don't put a bigger cam in it just yet. I suspect the launch/60 foot will benefit from the smaller cam in your case...

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

well.. i think it hooks very well.. ill know in a couple weeks when i put the 11.5" mickeys on so maybe the torque is suffering a little ?

my friend who owned it now stomped on it once with the radials and it brought the front end up.. but i just dont understand how it would only be in the 12s.. i guess ill just have to ask the guy if hes a bad driver

im thinking it may even be over-carbed.. everyone says to get a performer intake with like a single 850. Then again if i threw a 200 shot at it, it would def help having both the 660s.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 AM

I would get rid of those aluminum Retainers there is a case of dropped valves waiting to happen.

Randy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969
I would get rid of those aluminum Retainers there is a case of dropped valves waiting to happen.
Randy
I'd change them just because they're PURPLE. :shock:

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
2006/2008 Ultra Stang World Champion
Kicker Audio - Exile Turbo - Probe / Coast High Performance - Oakley - Street Car 1320 Clothing
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969
Randy
I'd change them just because they're PURPLE. :shock:
Me too....aluminium retainers are bad news
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

hmm.. how can you tell ? im guessing youve seen those ones before..

or is it the reflection ?

anyways.. someone had mentioned how its like the cheapest roller rocker setup you can get.. :?

but at least I can say im not the one who built it so i cant take the blame for any stupidity thats been done to it :lol:
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to BigBlockFalcon
I'm just finishing up build a 73 Ranchero with 503ci motor in it. Here are some pics. It's not done. The guy still has to finish the paint and put the car back together. Like the interior all running lights, grill. All the stuff we took off the car is in the bed beside the fenders they are for a trailer. What I got paid for is done. I had to build and install the motor, trans and rearend. All the wiring, steel bradied hoese, and gauges.

90 Notch 69 351W bored .030 over

68 Falcon Full Cage and FE 487ci. Blown up FE

Driver (77 Mustang II) BBF 503ci PG trans, Dana 60 rear, 4.10 gears, Full Chassis car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in