Forum Contributor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

D0VE-C and streetable cam on low deck 429

Next Topic >> Return to Index

December 10 2005 at 6:06 PM
No score for this post Robert (Login foreverford)
from IP address 152.163.101.9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great site guys. I was woundering if someone might know about Comp Cams FF series cams. Comp tech. said I need there 34-248-4 because of compression, don't use extreme series, build to much cylinder pressure. Motor is going in big bronco. Street use, Gear are 4.56 with 35 tires I have 3500 stall but dont wan't to use it . 2400 maby.
Thanks for any input.

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Author Reply

Scott J. AKA the Mad porter !!!
(Login ScottJ429)
131.191.33.129 If your 429 short block utilises the stock pistons...
No score for this post December 10 2005, 9:32 PM

...the static C/R is a bit high for a streetable torque cam. If you have builder dished pistons in it then I would opt for the EX line of lobes.

Which do you have?

Regards,
Scott Johnston / RHP

Complete list of product and services:
http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

http://www.prepaidlegal.com/info/scottjohnston

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Robert
(Login foreverford)
207.200.116.200 Stock pistons
No score for this post December 11 2005, 9:34 AM

Pistons are Seal Power forged. Can they be milled under chamber safely. Could the valve relief be beveled and machined across the piston. Would that be enough?

(Login ScottJ429)
131.191.33.129 A small circular dish milled into the top of the piston would help...
No score for this post December 11 2005, 2:23 PM

a bunch. It only need be about 7 to 10 cc's to get the ratio low enough for pump gas usage with a smallish torque type cam.

The existing flat top at .010" below deck with a 4 cc valve relief is about 10.4 ro 1. At .020" below deck the ratio is about 10.1 to 1

With an additional 7 cc dish milled into the top of the piston Static C/R would drop to 9.68 to 1 which would be better.

A 3" dish .060" deep would be approximately 7 cc's.

If your block is already assembled how far below deck are your pistons at TDC?

Regards,
Scott Johnston / RHP

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Robert
(Login foreverford)
152.163.101.9 Deck height
No score for this post December 11 2005, 3:11 PM

Deck height is -.010 I have checked it. The chambers will be cleaned and polished. Compression calculator shows 10.56 thats with 3.9cc valve relief. Where would you think I would need to be to run Comp Cams XE 274 and 92 oct. gas.
By the way if I had not joined your RHP site I wouldn't have had this problem. I would have screwed up and used a set of D2VE A2A. To bad I all ready Put CJ valves in them and ported and polished.Even smoothed outside castings and polished too. Live and learn.
Thanks for input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:10 PM
ralph

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly View Post
Next Topic >> Return to Index

December 10 2005 at 6:06 PM
No score for this post Robert (Login foreverford)
from IP address 152.163.101.9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great site guys. I was woundering if someone might know about Comp Cams FF series cams. Comp tech. said I need there 34-248-4 because of compression, don't use extreme series, build to much cylinder pressure. Motor is going in big bronco. Street use, Gear are 4.56 with 35 tires I have 3500 stall but dont wan't to use it . 2400 maby.
Thanks for any input.

Author Reply

(Login ScottJ429)
131.191.33.129 If your 429 short block utilises the stock pistons...
No score for this post December 10 2005, 9:32 PM

...the static C/R is a bit high for a streetable torque cam. If you have builder dished pistons in it then I would opt for the EX line of lobes.

Which do you have?

Regards,
Scott Johnston / RHP

Re in"Car"nation High Performance - Home

Robert
(Login foreverford)
207.200.116.200 Stock pistons
No score for this post December 11 2005, 9:34 AM

Pistons are Seal Power forged. Can they be milled under chamber safely. Could the valve relief be beveled and machined across the piston. Would that be enough?

(Login ScottJ429)
131.191.33.129 A small circular dish milled into the top of the piston would help...
No score for this post December 11 2005, 2:23 PM

a bunch. It only need be about 7 to 10 cc's to get the ratio low enough for pump gas usage with a smallish torque type cam.

The existing flat top at .010" below deck with a 4 cc valve relief is about 10.4 ro 1. At .020" below deck the ratio is about 10.1 to 1

With an additional 7 cc dish milled into the top of the piston Static C/R would drop to 9.68 to 1 which would be better.

A 3" dish .060" deep would be approximately 7 cc's.

If your block is already assembled how far below deck are your pistons at TDC?

Regards,
Scott Johnston / RHP

Re in"Car"nation High Performance - Home

Robert
(Login foreverford)
152.163.101.9 Deck height
No score for this post December 11 2005, 3:11 PM

Deck height is -.010 I have checked it. The chambers will be cleaned and polished. Compression calculator shows 10.56 thats with 3.9cc valve relief. Where would you think I would need to be to run Comp Cams XE 274 and 92 oct. gas.
By the way if I had not joined your RHP site I wouldn't have had this problem. I would have screwed up and used a set of D2VE A2A. To bad I all ready Put CJ valves in them and ported and polished.Even smoothed outside castings and polished too. Live and learn.
Thanks for input.
are you being aware of head gasket thickness? while comparing before buying mine i became aware of at least three different thicknesses. new information makes for new decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in