1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike R

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question First engine build

Hey everyone! Ive been scouring this forum for months gathering info for my first engine build, but I have a few questions I couldn't find answers for. Before I get started though, let me introduce you to what I'm trying to do. I'm going off of the 460 Horsepower Chart (https://www.460ford.com/forum/40-eng...1-24-09-a.html) And I'm working towards the 450/475 horse build. The engine will be going in a 1995 F150 and driven mostly on the street but will probably see light track and off road time.

Ive got some of my big ducks in a row, I have an 89 460 out of an f350, d0ve heads, and the Edelbrock intake with a few small extras like a high volume oil pump and a timing set. I'm in the process of buying the xe274h cam but thats where I'm running into problems. The whole milling the pedestals thing was pretty confusing to me. With some people saying you can use chebby rockers and get away without milling, or using the Crane kit to avoid it all together, but I'm leaning towards the tried and true "right way" method of milling them and using screw in studs.

But with that said, can someone point me in the direction of good studs to buy? Because I checked on ARP and their stud kit uses 9/16. Click the "kit instructions" link(https://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-de...p?RecordID=621), but pretty much all the rockers I can find are 7/16. When I search for 7/16 ARP studs on Summit it just comes back with small block stuff. What am I missing here?

Another thing, this is a weird one. Comp cams recommends I use their 1411-16 rockers, look under Recommended Components (http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=994&sb=2) that are rated at 350lb open seat pressure. Whats confusing me is the springs Comp recommends are their 924-16 springs. Pretty heavy springs from what I can tell, however their heaviness worries me. Summit says their 347lb./in. (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-924-16) but Jegs lists them at 355lbs open load at 1.2" (https://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/924-16/10002/-1) Which is more than what these rockers are rated for, allegedly. I'm not knocking comp or anyone else by the way. But should I be concerned that these rockers cant hold up to these springs? I mean they're probably fine, Comp is a great company and I'm sure they wouldn't recommend them if it wasn't ok. But I want something that isn't seemingly operating on the edge of its performance. With that in mind, I'm a college student and on a budget. I'd love to drop 400 bucks on some killer full roller rockers, but I don't want to spend that much unless I have too. I'm willing to be reasonable though, you get what you pay for. Any suggestions on what should I do/get?

Last thing, at least for now. I'm not wanting to go over 9.5/1 compression too much. And I'm probably gonna run eagle H beam stock length rods and forged pistons. Which pistons should I get to get me to that compression? Basically, I just want someone to tell me what to buy. I can do a little more digging in the forum, but this is kind of a specific situation with the compression and horsepower goal. I understand the stock hypertectic (however you spell that) pistons I have in my 89 block will be like 11.5 to 1 if I swap on my D0ve heads. Which is way way too much obviously. So they'll have to come out regardless.

Sorry for the super long post y'all, I know I'm a mess But hopefully someone can walk me through this haha.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 11-16-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Move your post to the engine build section for more response, this is an archive
Bluegrass likes this.

80 Fairmont wagon, 528, Blue Thunder heads on E-85. Just a brutal street car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in