528 Pump Gas Engine: 737HP & 672lb-ft Torque - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

528 Pump Gas Engine: 737HP & 672lb-ft Torque

528 Ford Specifications
  • Bore: 4.42"
  • Stroke: 4.30"
  • Rotating Assy: SCAT cast crankshaft, H-beam rods, 36cc "D" shape dish Diamond pistons, King bearings, balanced
  • Heads: Blue Thunder 74cc, ported, +.100" Ford Racing valves, 3-angle valve job, 10* locks & retainers, 1.625" dia. springs, 230 lbs seat
  • Compression ratio: 9.8:1
  • Rockers: Miller 7075-T7 aircraft aluminum, 1.7 ratio
  • Camshaft: Billet steel roller, custom ground for this engine combo. Lobe = 0.4550" / .4170", LSA = 109* [email protected]" = .266 / .278, Lift at valve = .757" / .709"
  • Roller Lifters: Morel
  • Block: D0VE-A with Boss 429 bulkheads, thermocleaned and mag checked, HFD Stage 1 oiling mods
  • Bearing clearances: mains = .0035"; rods = .0030"
  • Timing Chain: Ford Racing double-roller with billet gears and 9-position keyway
  • Carburetor: Holley 4500 Series Dominator, 1150 cfm
  • Distributor: MSD breakerless
  • Oil Pump: High Flow Dynamics Stage 1 prepped Melling M84DHV
  • Oil Pan: Armando's 10-qt jet boat pan and pickup
  • Intake: Edelbrock Victor 460 with Dominator carb flange, ported to Blue Thunder intake port size
This engine was dynoed at Westech, which is the same facility where the recent Engine Masters Big Block Shootout had their engine finalists tested. Results were 737HP @ 6300 rpm and 672 lbs-ft of torque @ 4600 rpm, and 95% of peak torque was sustained all the way up to 5900 rpm. A torque curve that flat obviously extends well below the 4600 rpm mark but I don't have the data because the facility focused on pulls from 4600 rpm & up due the customer's applicaton of the engine (jet boat). I was not in attendance of this session and could not make several requests and changes on the motor during the pulls.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's still more HP in it. Due to some top end oiling debugging from the start of the day, some valve train parts were changed out by the dyno operator for the sake of getting to the pulls, and the replacement parts installed by the facility--I feel certain--cost the top end about 11-14 HP. Additionally due to the time constraints, trials of carb spacers were never evaluated and I think we might have found another 9-12 HP there (the posted results are without a plenum-increasing carb spacer!). In other words, this engine could have conceivably generated as much as 760 peak horsepower on pump gas.

Bottom line is, when the day was over and the customer had his requested 700+HP, he felt we delivered and that there was no need to search for any more.

Also, I want to emphasize the fact(s) that this engine recorded 737HP with a very conservative 9.8:1 compression ratio and one carburetor.

Honorable mentions go out to:
  • Chris Straub (cstraub) for camshaft consultation. Our customer wanted 700HP / Pump Gas / Reliable, which is a tall order and we wanted to be sure we met his needs. I turned to Chris for this build because he profiles camshafts for a lot of big name professional competition engines and he obviously calculated a profile that works excellently with this particular engine combination.
  • Charlie Evans (c.evans), because I must have called Charlie 4-5 times to discuss the approach I wanted to take porting these Blue Thunder 74cc heads and also discussed with him several valve train hardware options (BT heads ship bare). Charlie provided a lot of insight.
  • Van Heskett (vandy) for his never ending patience over this motor build. Of all the engines that we build together, I vehemently insisted this engine have special attention and it was mocked up countless times, while we tried different valve train setups, different valves in the heads, different crankshaft and connecting rod bearings, etc.
I think this particular build shows clearly that all this attention to details can pay off big time at the dynomometer.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Spec Sheets:

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
Curious as to what oil ya'll ran in it......with Vandy workin' on it i'm sure it was thick...(wide clearances)....good job guys....D

'71 Mustang Mach1 370 Truck Motor
'09 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lakes,

Thanks for the awsome motor. Also all the others mentioned above, THANK YOU for putting your time and energy into my motor. THis was my first engine build and it has been a blast so far.

Currently I am installing the motor in the boat.

Thanks agian.

Dan
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog
Curious as to what oil ya'll ran in it......with Vandy workin' on it i'm sure it was thick...(wide clearances)....good job guys....D
D-Dog,

The dyno pulls were excecuted with Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic motor oil, after break-in on petroleum motor oil. The "wide" bearing clearances are mine, and are set this way because the customer will be running this engine for long hard passes up the Colorado River at a sustained 6000+ rpm.

Please note the oil pressure recorded on the dyno sheet; a constant 80-85 psi. This is with an unshimmed Stage 1 oil pump, Stage 1 prepped cylinder block, 15W-50 sythetic and the noted bearing clearances.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

8)

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Paul Kane
Please note the oil pressure recorded on the dyno sheet; a constant 80-85 psi. This is with an [i
unshimmed[/i] Stage 1 oil pump, Stage 1 prepped cylinder block, 15W-50 sythetic and the noted bearing clearances.

Paul
Not to mention one heck of a remote oil filter!
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nice job Paul :!: That's certainly "above average" pump gas horsepower, for an engine that size. 8)

Charlie Evans
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Curious to know how much porting was done to the heads. I have a 502 ci basically same setup, but no porting and one step smaller cam, making about 660 hp with 9.7 compression.
Your setup would be a good upgrade..........
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
Thanx Paul....I appreciate your comments....D

'71 Mustang Mach1 370 Truck Motor
'09 Shelby GT500
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:29 PM

Very impressive #'s Paul. Congrats are indeed in order.

I'm salivating for the day when I finally get my 552 done. :twisted:

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.evans
Nice job Paul :!: That's certainly "above average" pump gas horsepower, for an engine that size. 8)
Thank you Charlie, and as you know we could have quite easily gone another 1/2-point of compression and still been pump gas friendly and seen substantially greater HP (as well as other power enhancements). But this is a pleasure boat engine and if Danhercules finds himself miles up river needing fuel and only 89 octane is available, he can still get home without hurting the engine. We opted conservatively in other areas, too, in the interest of reliability. We will always do our best to listen to the customer's needs and deliver to him as best we can...rather than take the componentry and try to impress everyone else with the biggest numbers possible and at the customer's expense.

It's a pretty neat combo.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetfirst
Curious to know how much porting was done to the heads. I have a 502 ci basically same setup, but no porting and one step smaller cam, making about 660 hp with 9.7 compression.
Your setup would be a good upgrade..........
Porting was not max effort...again, because we were not shooting for the moon in HP numbers. But the cylinder head detailing effort was certainly there. Basically, intake bowls were blended, exhaust bowls were pocket ported and blended, and some unshrouding was done in the combustion chamber along with smoothening the machined transistions from combustion chamber-to-valve seats, etc. In other words, work was tended to where it was needed the most.

Also, please note that these heads have the common 2.25"/1.76" valves and not 2.300" or 1.800" valves that most step up to in order to get bigger numbers. Big valves just weren't necessary and would have been money unwisely spent for the targeted pump gas 700HP.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog
Thanx Paul....I appreciate your comments....D
D-Dog,

I'd just like to add that if you know vandy, then you would know that he would have set up a minimum of .006-.008"" on the rods, 70-wt funny car oil and somehow managed to triangulate 3 blowers between the valve covers. :mrgreen: (C'mon, Van, you know it's true! Back me up, Chuck!)

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

For a short audio/video of a pull, click HERE

Paul

p.s. This clip courtesy of "Herc."

High Flow Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in